NCTC rules, questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhytLeaf15

I was told by customer service of NRG that Nissan's NCTC was only free for 30 mins QC, or 2 hrs on Level 2 per day. Is this true? Has anyone used the QC for more than 30 mins in one day? i read that there is a 10 cents charge per minute over 30 mins.

https://www.ez-charge.com/faq/ may help.

(I've never been eligible for Nissan NCTC. The program began after I began leasing my 1st '13 Leaf. I bought a used '13 Leaf that's about 1 month older, so also therefore not eligible.)

WhytLeaf15 said:
I was told by customer service of NRG that Nissan's NCTC was only free for 30 mins QC, or 2 hrs on Level 2 per day. Is this true? Has anyone used the QC for more than 30 mins in one day? i read that there is a 10 cents charge per minute over 30 mins.

Go to ez-charge.com and click on FAQ for lots of answers to questions. Here is one of the answers to your specific question.

NO CHARGE TO CHARGE
What is No Charge to Charge?
No Charge to Charge is a program offered by Nissan that provides new LEAF buyers or lessees with 30 minutes of free charging on participating DC fast charging stations and 60 minutes of free charging on participating Level 2 stations for two years from their time of purchase.

I believe each network may have different costs per minute or kWh if you exceed the free 30 minutes for QCing or the 1 hr for L2. I generally only QC once a day for 15-20 minutes so have never exceeded the 30 minutes, but I believe this is the limit "per station". When I QC at a Blink station in the San Diego area of Calif the system actually recognizes I have a NCTC card and states it and indicates 30 minutes are free, then the kWh cost if I exceed the 30 minutes. I also use EVGo (NRG?), but never exceed the 30 minutes and the display is not as detailed. I once charged at a EVGo location I thought was NCTC, but it wasn't and I got a $7-8 charge that month.

Since I only QC at most once a day I have never exceeded the 30 minutes. If you do go on a long trip and charge at more than one station and the total time exceeds 30 minutes let us know if you actually get billed for the extra time or kWh. Even if you do get charged 10 cents a minute for EVGo (NRG) that is a good deal. Give it a test run and let us know.

You can charge more than once per day but but have to wait at least 2 hours between charges if you want NCTC rates. You are limited to 30 min on a DCFC. NRG actually cuts you off after 30 min. Haven't used Blink so I don't know how their policy works. If you can find one, Volta level 2 chargers are always free. They make their money from the advertizing on the kiosks. Good for a top up while you're shopping but way too slow for long distance travel. I met an UBER driver who charges several times a day with NCTC. Literally zero fuel costs. That has to help his bottom line.

johnlocke said:
Haven't used Blink so I don't know how their policy works. If you can find one, Volta level 2 chargers are always free.
Blink may be moot due to http://insideevs.com/blink-ends-free-level-2-charging-for-nissans-no-charge-to-charge-program/.

Volta is unrelated to NCTC and doesn't require any card. I've used their free EVSEs a few times.

Blink dropped L2 from the NCTC program in Phoenix quite a while ago. Their L3 stations that are in the program (not all of them are) will keep charging beyond 30 minutes. To avoid fees, you must manually terminate charge before 30 minutes (I had lots of 29 minute charging sessions before my NCTC expired at the 2 year ownership mark).

I have done 3 to 4 quick charges per day quite a few times and I have not gotten bill from EVgo. On a long road trip, I have visited two different EVgo DCFC within an hour and EVgo has never impose a fee on my account. The rule is not very clear, but I think as long as it is a different EVgo station, they are OK with it. I think they just don't want you to stand at DCFC stations and give out free quick charges to every Leafs that pull up.

Back