2017 battery manuf. (updated: ..is a 24kWh) p/n 295B0-9RB9E

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MXP,

I just lost 4 bars right after warranty, with 65000 miles in less than 5 years on my 2012 LEAF.
I am going to see if the dealer/service from Sunnyvale can help me get a good deal.

Can I ask what kind of battery did you get? 30 KWH or 24 KWH?
How is it running currently?

Thank you for sharing your experience!!!
Kathy

mxp said:
Sure. I worked with Frank (Service Dept) from Premier Nissan Fremont. Frank was awesome, and a true customer advocate.

I will say, words alone is not going to help if you did not have the annual battery checks done. As silly, and a waste of money these battery checks are, you will need them for Nissan battery warranty claims. I typically use the Costco coupon and do them for $70 or so.

I think I even paid for one done, on the final day my 5-yr warranty expired, and never made the 4th bar loss. Regardless, it was an "investment protection" to file for the warranty claims when it eventually happens to me.

Similarly, with my new replacement battery, I will do the same; perform the silly annual battery checks and hope I don't lose too many bars after 5 years, now I have the lizard battery replacement.

setof4 said:
MXP, may I ask which dealer are you working with to receive out-of-warranty replacements? Thanks.

guangsleaf said:
I just lost 4 bars right after warranty, with 65000 miles in less than 5 years on my 2012 LEAF.
I am going to see if the dealer/service from Sunnyvale can help me get a good deal.

I highly doubt you'll be able to get a 30 kWh battery at this point. Nissan has said no numerous times (to it being available for older Leafs), for various reasons. There are several threads on that.

Hopefully Nissan corporate (remember that automakers in most parts of the US CANNOT own dealerships due to state franchise laws) will be willing to give you a decent deal on the battery via goodwill. Unfortunately, Nissan corporate is not obligated to provide you any help (on this) once you've passed capacity warranty expiration.

If u have ur annual battery tests done, u should be able to work something out with a Nissan dealer for a partial settlement. Work with an adviser who knows the arbitration process with NRS .
We have received the 24kwh 2017 build battery in a 80/20 partial settlement for 2 Leafs.

guangsleaf said:
Hi MXP,

How is it running currently?

Thank you for sharing your experience!!!
Kathy

mxp said:
Sure. I worked with Frank (Service Dept) from Premier Nissan Fremont. Frank was awesome, and a true customer advocate.

I will say, words alone is not going to help if you did not have the annual battery checks done. As silly, and a waste of money these battery checks are, you will need them for Nissan battery warranty claims. I typically use the Costco coupon and do them for $70 or so.

I think I even paid for one done, on the final day my 5-yr warranty expired, and never made the 4th bar loss. Regardless, it was an "investment protection" to file for the warranty claims when it eventually happens to me.

Similarly, with my new replacement battery, I will do the same; perform the silly annual battery checks and hope I don't lose too many bars after 5 years, now I have the lizard battery replacement.

setof4 said:
MXP, may I ask which dealer are you working with to receive out-of-warranty replacements? Thanks.

Thanks so much MXP.

I went to see Frank today -- he is great.

But since I started the process from Nissan Sunnyvale, I have to make some phone calls to transfer the deal to Frank, but I am going to do it.
Will call Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow to start the transfer.

Frank even remembers your name when I mentioned that one family got two battery replacement by him with happy results. (unfortunately, I did not get your name written down :) ).

Thank you again for sharing your experience, otherwise I would not know to look for Frank in Fremont.

When the replacement is done, I will share my experience here, and why I want to transfer to Frank.

Best regards,
Kathy

mxp said:
Updated 3/1/2017: I only received a 24kWh battery replacement in an agreed 80/20 warranty settlement.

I am in the process of receiving a battery replacement into my 2011 Leaf.

Does anyone here know if I have received a 30 kWh pack?

There are some clues but I am unable to decipher. The battery arrived in a large wooden crate with some tags/stickers:

1. "Nissan Genuine Part" Made in USA: Bat Assy-Main : 295B0-9RB9E 01/20/17

2. Label sticker: Side 1 295B09RB9E SM11715000312 (Note: From a previous post here of someone's picture, it seems "SM" is the s/n and the 1st 3 digits confirm the pack's build date "117" ? see: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924&start=260#p479424

3. Pack Sequence No sticker: Pack ID: 295B09RB9E SM11715000312 Prod Date 01/05/2017 Pack Type: B9E

I cannot determine the validity that the Nissan Battery Factory in the US have stopped producing 24kWh batteries for the year 2017 onwards. From what I can see, I am certain, perhaps the one I received is indeed a 1/2017 production battery. Unfortunately, there is nothing printed that says it's 30 kWh on the wooden crate itself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the info MXP. This seems like a new battery part number compared to what Nissan was previously using as a new battery replacement for 2011 cars. I was wondering what the part/version number of the LBC/BMS is inside your new battery is. In the latest version of LeafSpy Pro you can check various ECU versions in the service screen (need to turn on this screen in the settings). As it seems like you're already a LeafSpy user, is there any chance you could check this out and let me know what you find in there?

cwerdna said:
guangsleaf said:

I highly doubt you'll be able to get a 30 kWh battery at this point. Nissan has said no numerous times (to it being available for older Leafs), for various reasons. There are several threads on that.

Hopefully Nissan corporate (remember that automakers in most parts of the US CANNOT own dealerships due to state franchise laws) will be willing to give you a decent deal on the battery via goodwill. Unfortunately, Nissan corporate is not obligated to provide you any help (on this) once you've passed capacity warranty expiration.

we need to stop with the "likelihood" statements. you WILL NOT get a 30 Kwh battery PERIOD.

Hi,
I keep my replacement battery degradation stats here in this other thread:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&p=535461#p535461

Hopefully, it should be some years before I lose the 12th (i.e. 1st bar).

rmay635703 said:
Zombie thread, I do wonder how the 2nd ops replacement went

Back