Nissan blocking its own charging station with its own cars.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alicefoeller

I thought it was SUPER great when all the Nissan dealerships in my city installed superchargers. Excellent! Now I can address mid-day battery emergencies!
Both times I have used the one near my office, the parking spaces for it (which are striped to show "do not park here") are filled with ICE vehicles owned by either the dealership or its employees.

It's one thing when an ignorant ICE car owner blocks a charging station, but NISSAN? Come ON!

I always leave a "Couldn't charge" note on PlugShare with an explanation, and then a "Successfully Charged" check in after that, after I ask them to move the car(s). Today I also left a voicemail for the salesperson who specializes in the LEAF.

It really undercuts building a network of charging stations if you block them up yourselves!

I'm afraid it's very, very typical. Most dealerships put in charging because it's required, not because they really want to. They can't stand to see those spaces going unused, so they park cars there. Most of the time, they will move them if you go inside and ask...and no, that's not ideal by a long shot. I've had it take 20 minutes before they manage the feat.

Sticking chargers at dealers sounds good at first blush, but is a bad idea in reality. Nowhere to hang out except the show room, limited hours, congestion, etc.

Until we get the whole chicken and egg situation going on the fast charging side of things we will have these goofy solutions. Not enough cars on the road means we have too few chargers at too few stations. Crappy range and crappy charger availability keeps the demand low for fast charging out of town, making charger installation a money losing proposition unless you have some other angle.

So far only Tesla has the charge rate, range, and charger availability equation solved for the most part. Further out they will need to figure out how to handle vastly more cars if the model 3 pans out as expected. The current solution of free charging (after up front payment) won't scale long term, but those are better problems to have.

TomT said:
True! But when you are selling an EV, the bar is even higher...

RonDawg said:
TomT said:
Most Nissan dealers are one small step above worthless...
Most dealers, regardless of brand, are pretty worthless.

Having just leased an eGolf, trust me Nissan is by far not the only brand with sucky dealers, whether or not they have an EV in their lineup.

I had also looked at the Soul EV and at least one dealer had their CHAdeMO/CCS combo QC unit ICEd in by non-EV inventory.

My experience at the Nissan dealer in Topsham Maine has been excellent. Three quick charges with no one else in the way. Five L2 charges with an employee hooked up each time were cleared within minutes.

Back