Question on miles per Kw

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djjazzy

I reset my Miles per Kw trip meter every time I charge.
That way I can see the average miles per kw between charge sessions.

If I use A/C, is that power consumption calculated in
the miles per Kw average?

If I take the miles driven, and divide that by the average,
that gives me total Kwh used, correct?

ie.. 30 miles traveled, averaged 4.4 miles per kw = 6.81 kw hrs used
yes or no.

would the A/c use be factored into that average of 4.4 miles per kw

djjazzy said:

Yes.
Yes, from the car. From "the wall", figure another 10-15% (someone will surely have the actual percentage; it varies by speed of charging).
Yes. But again, that is the consumption from the battery, not from your electric meter.

djjazzy said:

yes or no.

and to make things even more complex for comparison to other leafs there's a big difference in size from the 16s to the 17s which means to put one more mile on the ODO the 16in tire leaf won't actually have driven a full mile and the 17in tire leaf will be pretty close.

Add that up over a 60+ mile drive and it can make a difference.

djjazzy said:

yes or no.

Leaf spy saves a lot of calculating.

my only real gripe is that it is extremely difficult to actually predict how much power you have and how far you can go.

for example my car charges to 18.5kwh. I don't think it holds 18.5kwh though

the car SAYS it is getting say 5.1m/kwh but it drops from 18.5kwh to 17.5kwh in 2 or 3 miles. ???

it is almost like the 18.5kwh reading is "fiction" and it rapidly downgrades the prediction as it reads the "actual" available power. SO I always just deduct a kwh from whatever it says when fully charged.

once I get down to around 17 or 17.5 kwh the readings get much more accurate and reliable.

reason it bugs me as that is SEEMS my batter has a lot less capacity "in reality" than it is reporting and yet the gid/soc% is based on the fictional 18.5kwh number and not the real (probably 17.7kwh) number.

by my math my car is at 84.3% capacity which should be 11 bars. but it shows 89% and 12 bars. but I can't actually use 89%

the good news is that I have seen 0 reduction in available capacity in over 13,000 miles (18k on the odo) in 6 months.

have not gone through a summer yet though.

nerys said:
my only real gripe is that it is extremely difficult to actually predict how much power you have and how far you can go.
You have 80 kw maximum power, no prediction involved. Perhaps you are thinking about how much energy is stored in the battery?

i hate nitpicking on things that really don't matter. I refuse to change my wording just because I am grumpy tonight :)

and just to be argumentative (in a fun way) I would argue my usage of the word is "valid" according to the dictionary

pow·er

the ability to do something or act in a particular way, especially as a faculty or quality.

the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behavior of others or the course of events.

physical strength and force exerted by something or someone.

energy that is produced by mechanical, electrical, or other means and used to operate a device.

Mathematics
the number of times a certain number is to be multiplied by itself.

verb
verb: power; 3rd person present: powers; past tense: powered; past participle: powered; gerund or present participle: powering

supply (a device) with mechanical or electrical energy.
"the car is powered by a fuel-injected 3.0-liter engine"

nerys said:
i hate nitpicking on things that really don't matter. I refuse to change my wording just because I am grumpy tonight :)
Certainly your right, but those dictionary definitions obscure the very important difference:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Energy_vs_Power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/02/02/power-vs-energy-explanation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trust me. I know the difference.

Think of it as the difference between casual speech and "technical discussion"

They mean dofferent things in casual and technical disxussions.

I am not having a texhnical discussion.

Just think of the confusion in the gas world...how many horsepower does my gas tank hold? how many gallons of power does my engine output?

it IS important to talk the talk.

Your analogy is flawed. Under no context possible does your examples make sense.

What you said is no different than me saying how much red do i need to go 10 miles.

It is gibberish. Nonsense. meaningless.

Yet what i said is "clearly" understood without exception by anyone reading it.

The reason is simple. What i said is valid. What i said makes sense. What i said fits withing the definition context and understanding of what i intended.

What you said (your horsepower analogies) do not.

The only way to be confused by what i said is if you strip any context from the sentence and then exclude all definitions of the word except the definition you desire.

Is this where you call me names or insult me in some way?

Would it be terribly pedantic of me to point out to someone who was pointing out someone's use of the wrong technical word that they themselves were using a wrong word grammatically?
Stoaty said:
Certainly your right
(Sorry, I couldn't help it. The irony was too much to ignore.) :D :evil: :roll:

desiv

desiv said:
Would it be terribly pedantic of me to point out to someone who was pointing out someone's use of the wrong technical word that they themselves were using a wrong word grammatically?
Stoaty said:
Certainly your[/ :D olor] right

(Sorry, I couldn't help it. The irony was too much to ignore.) :D :evil: :roll:

desiv

Nice try, but I meant "it is certainly your right to..." So in this case, I meant to use your, meaning it was his right to use the word incorrectly, NOT meaning "you're right". :D

Wow this has gotten pretty childish.

Nerys asked a question, people are able to read it and understand what he wanted to know without getting bent out of shape and to answer, or help to answer his question.

He could have said "how much juice is in the battery" and everyone would know what he meant. Because "juice" doesn't have an actual meaning in electronics somewhere else it would not be technically wrong in the same way.

If someone doesn't like the terms he uses they should just stop reading his posts.

Stoaty said:
nerys said:
You have 80 kw maximum power, no prediction involved. Perhaps you are thinking about how much energy is stored in the battery?

The stored energy in the battery doesn't get you anywhere. He never said above that it was "difficult to predict how much power you have" in the battery I've got energy in my lap top battery but it won't get me anywhere. Since he asked "how far you can go" to accomplish this goal that energy must flow out of the battery and into the motor so is that not then power?

they are both right and wrong at the same time minispeed.

from a general conversation point of view they are wrong. my usage was correct and "acceptable" in the english language.

from a TECHNICAL point of view however POWER and ENERGY have very specific non synonymous meanings.

Just go ahead and search my username for the "nice" arguments we have over watts and watthours. (this is sadly probably the reason they are getting on my case here ie trolling)

what they refuse to accept is that I am not using the "technical" versions of these words (in our annoying language the same word can mean many different contradictory things depending on the context of its usage)

they have elected to ignore the context under which I used it and to accept only one specific definition for the word.

Likely (I hope) because they are simply nerds/geeks/electrical engineers whatever and like to argue on the internet.

not even worth it. funny, but not worth it. and please reply as I have a feeling you also like to argue on the internet. Or as it is commonly called, discussion.

it is a lively discussion as long as every stays civilized and does not resort to name calling etc...

and yes. I do enjoy those. (the civilized variety)

nerys said:
Trust me. I know the difference.

And I think that's really why folks get ruffled by your insistence on consistently using the wrong terms -- not accidentally but on purpose. Because it's a way to be "casual". I don't get it, but I don't have to. :)

I've come to accept that you march to the beat of a different drummer. It's just how you roll, and it's okay by me. ;)

Back