Value of 2011 Leaf with close to 60k miles? We now know...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

well, there has been some discussions about what a 2011 leaf will sell for when the car gets close or passes the 60k miles which ends the capacity warranty. Well, i found one that was close and its not good. 9900 from a reputable dealer, and thats before negotiating. here is the listing: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=89169&endYear=2016&modelCode1=LEAF&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=48754694&startYear=1981&makeCode1=NISSAN&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=11000&showcaseListingId=390710830&mmt=%5BNISSAN%5BLEAF%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=392273033&Log=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Per the CarFax, this car has had two owners, 49k miles near LA, and the rest in OR, so the battery is probably more degraded than if it were in OR the whole time. But AutoTrader hasn't figured out listing EV SOH yet, so it could be had for much less after testing with LeafSpy. Getting a used 2011 cheap and replacing the pack could be a good deal, but the unknown is how long the rest of the electronics will last.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Per the CarFax, this car has had two owners, 49k miles near LA, and the rest in OR, so the battery is probably more degraded than if it were in OR the whole time. But AutoTrader hasn't figured out listing EV SOH yet, so it could be had for much less after testing with LeafSpy. Getting a used 2011 cheap and replacing the pack could be a good deal, but the unknown is how long the rest of the electronics will last.
whats a leaf spy

desiv said:
evboy said:
whats a leaf spy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leaf+spy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome app for battery (and other) info on the Leaf.

desiv
well, i would think the owner would take it to the dealership to get it tested before it hits 60k, and then advertise that it has a new battery.if no new battery was offered, than what would you say this thing would be worth, assuming i cant get a new one in the next few thousand miles.

One thing i don't understand (and I mean that, not that I disagree with something.. I actually don't understand it.. ;-) ) is the effect of the "opting out" and what that might do to the value of used Leafs..

Personally, especially since it's (mass market EVs) new tech, I didn't expect Leafs to have a high resale.
That said, if it's low enough, and the car is in good shape, it might make the replacement batteries more of a viable option..

All I know about resale is that my Kia Rio didn't have much value, and I didn't expect it to... ;-)
Apparently my Baja has a better value, but I don't plan on selling it... ;-)

I expect my Leaf to have very little (maybe more than the Rio tho) when I'm ready to trade it in (4 years or so)...

desiv

desiv said:
One thing i don't understand (and I mean that, not that I disagree with something.. I actually don't understand it.. ;-) ) is the effect of the "opting out" and what that might do to the value of used Leafs..

Personally, especially since it's (mass market EVs) new tech, I didn't expect Leafs to have a high resale.
That said, if it's low enough, and the car is in good shape, it might make the replacement batteries more of a viable option..

All I know about resale is that my Kia Rio didn't have much value, and I didn't expect it to... ;-)
Apparently my Baja has a better value, but I don't plan on selling it... ;-)

I expect my Leaf to have very little (maybe more than the Rio tho) when I'm ready to trade it in (4 years or so)...

desiv
will this leaf start to get 30 miles on a charge in a year or 2 when it hits 70 to 80k miles. do you know any examples of leafs losing half the bars. that would be about 35 miles on a charge.

Seems like Leafs with severe loss so far (below 8 bars) are getting their batteries replaced.
So I'm not sure we have any real data yet on how low will they get over what period of time.

However, I would think a Leaf with a 30 mile range would still be of interest to certain people (parents looking for a car for their teens in town maybe??? ). So it's hard to see the value getting too low. And once it hits a "low point" in value, adding a new battery becomes an option.
If the Leaf's value ever drops below $4k, and a battery replacement is $6k (assuming it's not less by then), would a much older Leaf with a new battery be work $10k? Assuming the rest of the car maintains well??

It will be interesting to see what happens as these cars that pass 60K (and don't get their batteries replaced before that) do battery / value wise..

(And of course, what will the resale be by then for the 200 mile range used EVs that will be coming out.. ;-) )

desiv

evboy said:
desiv said:
evboy said:
whats a leaf spy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leaf+spy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome app for battery (and other) info on the Leaf.

desiv
well, i would think the owner would take it to the dealership to get it tested before it hits 60k, and then advertise that it has a new battery.if no new battery was offered, than what would you say this thing would be worth, assuming i cant get a new one in the next few thousand miles.
No more than $7000.00.

$7000 + $7000 for new battery kit installed comes to $14,000.00, which would be on the very highest end of retail for a mere SV and a somewhat reasonable price for a 3yr old Leaf with better-than-new range performance due to the updated lizard battery. Otherwise, like desiv points out, there is one born every minute. Someone will probably pay $10K for it.

Also, here is one that might be worth consideration assuming the battery warranty hasn't been voided:

A 2011 Silver SL in Orlando for $10,999.00. It is already down 3 bars and only has 42K on the odometer- still room to lose a bar before 60K miles for the right owner in a warmer environment. Naturally this also assumes Nissan would do the right thing and replace the poorly designed/defective original battery with the corrected lizard type.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LEAF[LEAF%7CSL]][]]&listingId=392234910&Log=0

The dealer does no testing that is of any real value... They merely confirm it is below 9 bars or not.

evboy said:
well, i would think the owner would take it to the dealership to get it tested before it hits 60k, and then advertise that it has a new battery.

This one here is a steal: 2012 SL 22k miles which came standard with QC for 11,500. Thats the best price I have seen. That gives me a extra year on the battery. I have to call Nissan and see if they opted out of the settlement. Its 2.5k below kbb ppv.it has all 12 bars What you guys think.

KBB seems really high right now. REALLY high. Like, useless in comparison with what people are actually paying. It may be they are not able to update as fast as the price is plummeting with current gas prices.

desiv said:
So I'm not sure we have any real data yet on how low will they get over what period of time.
We have a little bit. TickTock, who has always kept a LOT of data on his LEAF, has kept his battery beyond losing five capacity bars.. Since he lost that fifth bar on October 15, 2014, he is probably well on his way to losing number six (and then having only six remaining! :shock:

His data, along with some interesting charts, is stored in this Google spreadsheet.

evboy said:
This one here is a steal: 2012 SL 22k miles which came standard with QC for 11,500. Thats the best price I have seen. That gives me a extra year on the battery. I have to call Nissan and see if they opted out of the settlement. Its 2.5k below kbb ppv.it has all 12 bars What you guys think.
I agree that may be a very good deal. Just be aware that if the car was originally owned in a hot climate, it may have lost significant capacity, even after only 22,000 miles. The fact that twelve capacity bars are still showing is not definitive, since the battery management system (BMS) can be reset and it will show 12 bars for a while regardless of how degraded the battery is. One purchaser here bought such a car. The car had vary low range and they quickly saw capacity bars start to disappear. Fortunately it lost four bars before long and the battery was replaced with a new one under warranty. Not all such stories are going to have a happy ending.

I do recommend you go equipped with LeafSpy and see what the readings say. Even that is not definitive, but a low value of Hx might tip you off to how degraded the battery really is. (Even then you need to know whether the BMS has had the P3227 update.) If you can get a screenshot from LeafSpy and post it here, we can try to give you an idea how it looks and how much range you might expect.

FWIW, we have a 2011 which we bought in 2012 with about the same mileage and it should have lost its first bar already, even in the fairly-benign climate where we live. So you should expect the first bar to essentially be already gone, meaning at least 15% capacity loss (as calculated by the car). If the BMS was recently reset, capacity loss could be much worse than that.

You are asking all the right questions. I think you are on the right track to getting a great deal!

pkulak said:
KBB seems really high right now. REALLY high. Like, useless in comparison with what people are actually paying. It may be they are not able to update as fast as the price is plummeting with current gas prices.
KBB has been 'less than valid' for as long as I can remember, and the same goes for NADA to a slightly lesser degree. I would recommend checking Black Book trade-in value for something closer to retail reality. The problem with all of these services lies in the fact that so many selling prices are high due to the financing chicanery required to get many buyers into loans.

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/Research/TradeInValues.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

caffeinekid said:
evboy said:

No more than $7000.00.

$7000 + $7000 for new battery kit installed comes to $14,000.00, which would be on the very highest end of retail for a mere SV and a somewhat reasonable price for a 3yr old Leaf with better-than-new range performance due to the updated lizard battery. Otherwise, like desiv points out, there is one born every minute. Someone will probably pay $10K for it.

Also, here is one that might be worth consideration assuming the battery warranty hasn't been voided:

A 2011 Silver SL in Orlando for $10,999.00. It is already down 3 bars and only has 42K on the odometer- still room to lose a bar before 60K miles for the right owner in a warmer environment. Naturally this also assumes Nissan would do the right thing and replace the poorly designed/defective original battery with the corrected lizard type.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LEAF[LEAF%7CSL]][]]&listingId=392234910&Log=0

At $7,000 I'd probably buy two and sell my Prius and Saturn. Use the one with the longest range to replace the Prius for my 16 mile one way commute, use the one with the shortest range to replace the Saturn for even shorter trips.

At $9000 I'd just buy one and replace the Saturn by way of using the Leaf for the 16 mile commute and the Prius for the shorter trips until the Leaf can't do 35 miles on a charge reliably. Then I'd switch back to the Prius for the 16 mile commute and use the Leaf for shorter trips until .

It's a two driver household but we don't work the same days of the week and can make use of the nicest car 7 days a week and the less nice car 3-5 days a week.

I wouldn't even consider buying a new pack until I couldn't do 20 miles on a charge without going past LBW (in the winter). I'm assuming that is well past 4 bars lost and if I get a 2011/2012 cheap with 2 bars lost I can go for several years before buying a new pack.

My car will keep running. As I don't ever intend to sell it, I really don't care what happens to its value. But having cheap leafs on the market would be cool. makes it easier to buy a cheap car to tinker with.

Back