Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Like others, I also got the Leviton Evr-Green brochure this morning.

-------------
mod edit

Here is the link to the new 1.5MB pdf brochure.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vxpzfhwc11f6gyv

-------------

Here are the pertinent pages (sorry for the size, but otherwise it's hard to read the text):

evrgreenbrochurep3.png

evrgreenbrochurep4.png

evrgreenbrochurep5.png

evnow said:
This should settle any questions about whether it is legal to have a plug-in level 2 EVSE :D

There is interpretation within the code that allows the plug to be allowed as it is in the 7.2kw Leviton unit here. I will be interested to see what the pricing is. Also expect gen2 Leaf to have a larger charger as NIssan hinted this to a friend who drove the Leaf.

EVDRIVER said:
There is interpretation within the code that allows the plug to be allowed as it is in the 7.2kw Leviton unit here. I will be interested to see what the pricing is. Also expect gen2 Leaf to have a larger charger as NIssan hinted this to a friend who drove the Leaf.
To be fair, the EVSE shown is the 16A 3.8 kW unit - the 32A 7.7kW EVSE isn't pictured.

drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
To be fair, the EVSE shown is the 16A 3.8 kW unit - the 32A 7.7kW EVSE isn't pictured.

I called their tech dept, it plugs into the wall for 32A-

I may attend this event but if anyone attends please ask for the Leviton pricing on Level 2, I would hope they have that public by then.

evnow said:
This should settle any questions about whether it is legal to have a plug-in level 2 EVSE :D

Not only legal but even better - someone's going to build one!

Who knew about the little 240 outlets?! :D

AndyH said:
evnow said:

Not only legal but even better - someone's going to build one!

The "240V plug/outlet" shown is a 20A/240V capacity, my 18K BTU air conditioner uses the same outlet.
This is def NOT for a 32A EVSE, 16A Maximum with that outlet/plug.

Of course they could use an L14-50R (Range outlet/plug), whcih is good for up to 50A, that could certainly be used for a 32A version of their L2 EVSE.

mitch672 said:
AndyH said:

The "240V plug/outlet" shown is a 20A/240V capacity, my 18K BTU air conditioner uses the same outlet.
This is def NOT for a 32A EVSE, 16A Maximum with that outlet/plug.

I've never had a 240V window unit, and all my 240V equipment that had connectors used range and/or dryer plugs. Thanks for the expanded awareness! :D

Now that we have a plug-in lvl 2 EVSE - the next step is to find out where it can be used. At home a 6-20 plug can be installed in the garage.

The dryer uses a different plug - I guess there are adapters ? How about RV parks ?

Exactly! That opens up the 240 world and allows for a couple of DIY adapters.

While the L1 cord will cover 98% of my driving, it'll be great to have a lightweight and legal way to visit family 85 miles away. That puts the final nail in the ICE's coffin for me.

In preparation, I might replace my old-code dryer plug and socket (3-pin, no ground) with a new-code version (4-pin, 2 hot, neutral, and ground).
No permit needed, I suspect.

1. I can use the old plug-and-cord (and ground) to make an adapter for the old-dryer sockets.
2. I can buy a 2nd "new" plug-and-cord to make an adapter for the new-dryer sockets.
3. Then, an RV-socket adapter, and
4. an adapter for the 240v sockets at work.

What socket might one find on a 240v 8kW generator?

From a 30-amp breaker we should be able to draw 24 amps.
32a from a 40a breaker.
16a from a 20a breaker.

With the LEAF's present limitations, only the 16-amp solutions are needed, but I want to be prepared to "offer" at least 32 amps to the EV.

Here is a nice chart from Tesla. To connect to a new dryer outlet, for eg., we would need 6-20F to 14-30M adapter.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-adapters

universal_chargetimes.gif

http://www.eaaev.org/CurrentEvents/pdf/2009/CurrentEvents200907.pdf

This issue of the Electric Auto Association newsletter covers a round-trip Tesla Roadster drive from Sacramento to Vancouver, WA. Aside from offering tips on charging at campgrounds and required adapters, it gives one a view of part of the I5 corridor before the EV Project and other organizations add charging infrastructure.

From the brochure on http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Level2Chargers.htm:
Leviton's evr-green™ Home Charging Stations enable fast-charging of any SAE J1772™ Compatible Electric Vehicle, such as the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. Our patent pending mounting system allows for a do-it-yourself installation. This also makes it very easy to upgrade systems as technology evolves.

Features and Benefits
  • Compatible with all EVSE Standards and Recommended Practices, including SAE J1772™, NEC 625 and UL 2202
  • Tool-less installation*
  • Built-in communication verifies proper connection and electrical connections before charging can commence
  • Ground Fault Circuit Interrupting ensures safety
  • “Auto-Reset” feature enables charging to restart following a minor fault, thereby reducing the chance of being stranded with a low state of charge battery
  • Weatherproof enclosure provides for indoor and outdoor use
  • Cord Management for easy storage
* When used in conjunction with one of Leviton’s EVK Series Installation Kits
Looks like Nissan should have partnered with Leviton. I really like the fact that Leviton has designed their charger to be able to be DIY-installed. No contractor needed! It also looks like it may be plug-in capable with the right type of plug and adapter, and I suspect they'll make it more affordable than AV :D

johnr said:
Looks like Nissan should have partnered with Leviton. I really like the fact that Leviton has designed their charger to be able to be DIY-installed. No contractor needed! It also looks like it may be plug-in capable with the right type of plug and adapter, and I suspect they'll make it more affordable than AV :D

Yes, Leviton would have been a better choice since they have in this home electrical business for a long time.

Note that Leviton expects you to hire a contractor to install the kit. Once the kit is installed, you can install the EVSE.

Back