EVOasis DC Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eHelmholtz

EVOasis DC Charging Network Locations:

1. Residence In by Marriott at 33711 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

2. Courtyard/Irvine Spectrum by Marriott 7955 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine, CA (opens July 1st 2014)

Latest Location information is here.

From December 2011:
EV Oasis is installing DC Charging Stations starting in southern California and will have the first units up-and-running in January in San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar and Encinitas. The rates, I would say, are quite reasonable. There are several monthly plans as well as an option for pay per use.

The $89/month basic plan gets you 300kWh per month. For people who charge occasionally it's $6-7 for 20kWh (30 minutes) without monthly membership charge which I think is rather reasonable - similar to higher tiered SDG&E rates! http://www.evoasis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have a detailed description of EV Oasis charge fees?

I expect most BEV drivers will want to use DC only long enough, and as many kWh is required, to reach their destination, so short/low kWh charges will be desired.

This should also (in the long run) be desirable to vendors, as it will be less profitable to have their expensive chargers occupied with BEVs "topping off" their batteries, at slower charge rates.

Also, does EV Oasis plan to expand to central or northern California?

I'll believe it when I see it.... The grand plans to install multitudes of EVSEs all over SoCal (e.g. Ecotality), especially QC DC sites, has up to now been so much vaporware... :ugeek:

TangoKilo said:
I'll believe it when I see it.... The grand plans to install multitudes of EVSEs all over SoCal (e.g. Ecotality), especially QC DC sites, has up to now been so much vaporware... :ugeek:

The difference here is that this appears to be a (mostly-I expect it accumulates quite a few tax incentives) free market operation.

I think that the essential problem with DC charging in California is that we have been depending on regulated utility monopolies and government agencies, to bring to market a novel consumer product, on-the-road electricity.

The idiocy of the PUC and these utilities concluding that current “demand charges” are appropriate for BEV fueling stations being the best example of this dysfunctional market.

Good luck to EV Oasis.

May you nave many competitors, very shortly.

And as soon as you can, get your industry organized, and hire a lobbyist to work on more rational electric rates for
charge stations.

edatoakrun said:
Anyone have a detailed description of EV Oasis charge fees?
Also, does EV Oasis plan to expand to central or northern California?
Good questions - I'll ask Angus Clark, CEO of EV Oasis to comment.

Hi Folks,
As we are required by the CEC to charge by Time-On-Station rather than by the KwH, breaking-down rates at this point would be difficult. Also, as there are various utility providers in each county, we may find higher or lower "wholesale" costs in each service area. We will strive to keep a 30-Minute "Top-Up" as affordable as possible given these uncertainties. Time-of-Day may also affect rates as there are Peak and Off-Peak sessions to account for as well. Once the Rapid-Charger unit is operational on each location, rates will be displayed on the unit itself. Our goal is to keep the average 80% charge cycle (Avg 20 KwH) in the range of $6-7 for infrequent users and push the price down 20-30% for full-time Member rates. Northern CA is not on our 2012 "road-map" currently. SD, LA, Orange counties will take precedent in 2012. Drop me an email to [email protected] or via our Contact Form if you would like to be sent an Access Card, which is an RFID/Swipe Card. That will establish your Member # as well should you choose to opt-in to Member pricing at any point. These cards can carry a set balance and be "topped-up" as necessary or "defaulted" to a fixed monthly rate which can be debited automatically. Bear in mind we are still in "Beta" mode so I will clarify any changes/modifications etc. as we get "real-world" input.
We will post location info on our website as each area goes "live". Happy Holidays and Safe Travels-Evoasis

Evoasis said:
As we are required by the CEC to charge by Time-On-Station rather than by the KwH,
Makes even less sense than gas stations charging by "time on pump"... I guess the purpose of such a law would be to keep gas stations from reselling gasoline. How strange it sounds when one substitutes "gasoline" for "electricity". Why can't they ammend the laws so that it's legal for electricity to be resold for the purpose of fueling EVs? Sounds logical to me, and given that the government is promoting EV use, it sounds like a necessary step.

Anyway, whatever the business model, I hope Evoasis succeeds and is able to expand to the east coast.

Evoasis said:
Hi Folks,
As we are required by the CEC to charge by Time-On-Station rather than by the KwH, breaking-down rates at this point would be difficult.
Time at station seems fine as long as all charge at same rate.
For L2, I would gladly pay less for 16a station compared to a 30a+ station.

Evoasis said:
As we are required by the CEC to charge by Time-On-Station rather than by the KwH, breaking-down rates at this point would be difficult.
It really sucks that you have to charge the same for 20 min of charging at 50 kW (charging from near empty) as you do for 20 min of charging at 15 kW (charging from say 60%)... Your incurred costs will be far different. At least it encourages people to not hog the DC quick charge station.

It's even worse for L2 EVSE owners where LEAF owners can only pull 3.8 kW but the EVSE is capable of double that so LEAF owners end up paying twice as much to charge.

Being able to adjust the rate at least based on a peak demand for a charging session should be useful.

Looks like somebody has figured out the right way to do this, including adding PV panels to minimize demand charges.

And including retail component with added value services makes a lot of sense.

Looks like they are hitting the sweet spot for locations in Socal, going to the places where the demand will be highest, like San Clemente, where the LA/OC folks hit their range limit on intercity trips.

And it also looks like they are including a car sharing operation.

Good job.

eHelmholtz said:
EV Oasis is installing DC Charging Stations starting in southern California and will have the first units up-and-running in January in San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar and Encinitas. The rates, I would say, are quite reasonable. There are several monthly plans as well as an option for pay per use.

The $89/month basic plan gets you 300kWh per month. For people who charge occasionally it's $6-7 for 20kWh (30 minutes) without monthly membership charge which I think is rather reasonable - similar to higher tiered SDG&E rates! http://www.evoasis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabulous news if true.

KeiJidosha said:
eHelmholtz said:

Fabulous news if true.

+1, Live long and Prosper and spawn a new retail model, EV Oasis.

drees said:
It really sucks that you have to charge the same for 20 min of charging at 50 kW (charging from near empty) as you do for 20 min of charging at 15 kW (charging from say 60%)... Your incurred costs will be far different. At least it encourages people to not hog the DC quick charge station.

Now you are being picky, $7 for the privilege of using an L3 charger is a bargain, and you dont even have to buy a membership.

I applaude any entity that can expand the EVSE infrastructure, because to date, the EV Project is an embarrassment. I will remain skeptical though until I see the beef... By the way, it doesn't bode well for EV Oasis's first impression with me when I surf over to their website on my iPad 2 and it redirects me to install a Flash Player.......... Good grief Charlie Brown....... :ugeek:

Oasis, i wish you all the luck and success you deserve! time will tell how deserving you are.

for time of use complaints; the situation is someone topping off and forcing someone who may be more needy to wait. AFAIK; it should be time taken and if were in business i would do it no other way. think about other allotment contracted businesses. one could lose significant revenue if most of the charger time was taken by toppers if charged by the KW.

i can get unlimited messaging (we use about 20,000 a month) on 5 cellphones for $30 a month or pay 20 cents per message ala carte.

but if i used only 100 messages this month, do i get a $10 refund for difference in unlimted verses ala carte? no, i dont and would not expect it.

all in all; QC provides convenience and does it by the time taken. a lot of people complain about the 20 minute charge time and say it wont be accepted until we get it 6 minutes which seems to be the goal of everyone. i can live with 20 minutes. no problem.

right now, when i am downtown on errands i will stop off at a station, plug in and pre heat the Leaf (cheap I am I am!) which takes about 7 minutes to warm up. i will normally sit another 5-10 minutes anyway making my time parked 20 minutes or more. its really not that long. i use the time to check email (i guess if you dont carry a smartphone or tablet it might be a bit boring) review recent posts here, there, etc. i usually still have things to check on when its time for me to leave. its also a great thing to do while killing time between appointments!!

P.S. Oasis; great that you are targeting ala carte QC at $6-7 but have to think that you would have to rely on concession sales to make that work. i would gladly pay $10 if you are wondering

Just finished reading all their web pages. Most interesting to me - they entertain inquiries for businesses wanting to set up a QC at your business location. I'm all over that!

Back