Legrand EV Level 2 Car Charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank999

I ordered the Legrand EV level 2 Car Charging station from Home Depot for $650.00 a week ago (regular price $749). It is being installed today. I didn't see a discussion regarding this charger in here after searching, so I thought I'd start one. I'll post how it works after I use it if anyone is interested.

Altogether with installation, this costs $950.00 for the station. I hope it works, but if there is a problem, I was told I can return it to any Home Depot. It's nice to know that I can just bring it to a store and get my money back if there is a problem. And, as far as the wiring goes, that will already be done for another device, so that really didn't go to waste.

Frank
Phoenix, AZ

frank999 said:
I ordered the Legrand EV level 2 Car Charging station from Home Depot for $650.00 a week ago (regular price $749). It is being installed today. I didn't see a discussion regarding this charger in here after searching, so I thought I'd start one. I'll post how it works after I use it if anyone is interested.

Altogether with installation, this costs $950.00 for the station. I hope it works, but if there is a problem, I was told I can return it to any Home Depot. It's nice to know that I can just bring it to a store and get my money back if there is a problem. And, as far as the wiring goes, that will already be done for another device, so that really didn't go to waste.

Frank
Phoenix, AZ
FYI: I haven't seen their Level II unit, but the Level I is made by Lear, same as the one that comes with the Chevy Volt. It's crap! 16AWG cable throughout, and not even UL listed. It's the exact same guts as the Chevy Volt unit, albeit with a uglier but slightly better built housing. The case is glued shut. It's using the same 5 conductor cable (one extra line) which is used for an LED light on the end of the handle for the Chevy version, but curiously absent on this unit even with the wiring there. The cable is so thin on the inlet plug, that the bulky unit will surely destroy the cord after even careful use. The 16awg cord gets quite warm even when uncoiled. If left coiled, the heat is alarming!

Please advise the gauge used in the Level II unit.

-Phil

I'm very curious. I saw it on HomeDepot.com (currently out of stock though), and I was immediately interested as it's not much more money than the AV EVSE's on ebay, but it has a 24 foot cord, AND it can be installed outdoors, unlike the Schneider. I have a four-car circular driveway and will sometimes be parking my Leaf behind another car, so I'll need the extra length to reach it. Please let us know how it turns out!

By the way, did you order it from HomeDepot.com, or some other method? I haven't seen it as being listed "in-stock" yet.

I've used this for 2 days now and have been very happy. It appears to use the appropriate standard gauge wire for the internals for 20 amps (I asked the certified electrician to verify). It appears to charge quicker than the charger that I've been using at Nissan. I didn't notice any unusual warmth from the cable after 2 hours of charging. It gets slightly warm, but not hot.

I ordered it over the phone at Home Depot, and I received it within 3 business days. They gave me the UPS tracking info within 2 hours of ordering.

Frank

I thought the Level II were suppose to be 30 amp or 40 amp rated. 20amp is for the Level 1 charger like a wall socket, at least all mine are 20 AMP breakers in the panel.

mksE55 said:
I thought the Level II were suppose to be 30 amp or 40 amp rated. 20amp is for the Level 1 charger like a wall socket, at least all mine are 20 AMP breakers in the panel.
The current Leaf charger is limited to 16 amps on 240 volts (level 2) and will be just fine on a 20 amp 240 volt circuit.

Level 1 charging is limited to 12 amps at 120 volts and can run on a 15 amp circuit if nothing else is on it but to be safe, should probably be on a 20 amp circuit.

Note that a given amperage will be twice the wattage (power) on a 240 volt circuit, compared to a 120 volt circuit.

Level 2 chargers rated at higher amperage (such as the Blink) are future-proof for future EVs that charge at higher power, including the 6.6KW charger that is supposed to be coming in the 2013 Leaf.

LeGrand's EV charger page http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/ev-charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeGrand Level 2, 240V 16A charging station, model L2EVSE16
Level 2 EV Charging Station supplies full charge in 3-6 hours and is compatible with all Plug-In Electric Vehicles. Critical Safety features include built in P&S GFCI protection with Self-Test feature, Ground Continuity Monitoring and communication with vehicle confirms electrical connections prior to charging.

FEATURES•240V, 16A, 3.8kW
•Supplies full charge in 3-6 hours.
•24' coiled cord for easy cord management
•RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) Compliant.
•Status Indicator lights alert users to readiness and faults.
•Compatible with all Plug-In Electric Vehicles (SAE J1772 vehicle plug).
•Weatherproof NEMA 3S rating allows for indoor or outdoor installation.
•Auto-Reset allows charger to re-try after a minor electrical fault. This prevents lockout and low charge situations.
http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/ev-chargers/level%202/l2evse16.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Electric Vehicle Chargers
Catalog Number Description Output Power
L1EVSE Level 1 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger 1.4kW 12A 120V
L2EVSE16 Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station 3.8kW 16A 240V
Electric Vehicle Charger Brochure http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/ev-chargers/level%202/~/media/B24D4A907FB542FF9F50F1C584B5CA95.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Based on the parts list from the installation instructions, it appears the input wiring is 14 AWG.
wire nuts capable of connecting #14 AWG stranded wire to the supply cable
Instruction Sheet No.L2EVSE16 Electric Vehicle Charger Instruction Sheet http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/ev-chargers/level%202/~/media/FD4E8E9C0FEC4F8F8C8542D1BECC6122.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cutsheet Wall Mount Vehicle Charging Station http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/ev-chargers/level%202/~/media/F373F7854492455AB8BF5461C7C1B776.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Expensive for a 16A unit! The Legrand units are not made by them and why bother with a wall mounted unit that is only 16A. I would not buy any new EVSE for wall use that is not 7.2kw or higher at that price simply because in a few years the prices will be much lower and there are lower cost solutions available now.

Herm said:
One advantage of the thinner wire is that it wont be as attractive to copper thieves :)
Good point, but on second thought I don't think they read labels. Cut first and ask questions later. Then they'll be mad at you for "cheating" them and come key your car.

-Phil

I was wondering about the 20 amp thing too, so I called Legrand and spoke with their Tech support. They said that it has to have a dedicated 20 amp breaker.

Given that I paid $950 total with installation, tax, etc, I am pretty happy that I can charge my car in a fraction of the time than with level 1 charger. Even though it's 16Amps, it charges rather quickly - seems to be quicker than the 220 charger at the Nissan dealership.

Frank

frank999 said:
I was wondering about the 20 amp thing too, so I called Legrand and spoke with their Tech support. They said that it has to have a dedicated 20 amp breaker.

Given that I paid $950 total with installation, tax, etc, I am pretty happy that I can charge my car in a fraction of the time than with level 1 charger. Even though it's 16Amps, it charges rather quickly - seems to be quicker than the 220 charger at the Nissan dealership.

Frank
The one at the Nissan dealer is probably running on wye-configured power, which means 208v instead of 240v, so it is actually a little slower than 240v/16A at home!

-Phil

Phil,

Interesting. I didn't know that there was such thing as a 208volt, but that would explain the longer charge time.

Frank

Ingineer said:
frank999 said:

Frank
The one at the Nissan dealer is probably running on wye-configured power, which means 208v instead of 240v, so it is actually a little slower than 240v/16A at home!

-Phil

frank999 said:
Interesting. I didn't know that there was such thing as a 208volt, but that would explain the longer charge time.

Frank

Small commercial is usually: 120/208 (3 phase)
Large commercial is usually: 277/480 (3 phase)
Residential power in general is 120/240, single phase.

http://www.motorsanddrives.com/cowern/motorterms11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"In newer installations, the two most popular systems are called 4 wire grounded wye systems. The low voltage version is represented by a 120/208 volt system. The higher voltage version it is a 277/480 volt system. On both of these “grounded wye” systems, the low voltage portion (120 or 277 volts) is only available as single phase. The high voltage (208 or 480 volts) is available as either single phase or 3 phase. It should be noted that in the 4 wire grounded wye systems the high voltage is 1.73 times (the square root of 3) higher than the low voltage. These grounded wye systems are generally felt to be safer and more flexible than the older ungrounded systems. The flexibility comes from the ability to handle single phase lighting circuits, that operate at 120 volts or 277 volts, from the same system that feeds the 3 phase circuits for motors, equipment for heating, air conditioning, elevators, and industrial machinery."

If the commercial space is doing a bunch of lighting or office-type loads they usually install wye, but if they are doing motors, machines, and industrial equipment, they usually choose delta. Wye 3-phase has 208v between any 2 hots, and 120v from any hot to neutral. Delta 3-phase has true 240v between any 2 hots, but only 2 legs can be use for 120v loads. The third leg that's unusable for 120v is typically referred to as the "stinger" leg.

-Phil

Herm said:
One advantage of the thinner wire is that it wont be as attractive to copper thieves :)
And since bare stripped copper is worth more... most will not touch a coiled cord as it is that much more work to rip the copper out.

NYLEAF said:
I'm very curious. I saw it on HomeDepot.com (currently out of stock though), and I was immediately interested as it's not much more money than the AV EVSE's on ebay, but it has a 24 foot cord, AND it can be installed outdoors, unlike the Schneider. I have a four-car circular driveway and will sometimes be parking my Leaf behind another car, so I'll need the extra length to reach it. Please let us know how it turns out!

By the way, did you order it from HomeDepot.com, or some other method? I haven't seen it as being listed "in-stock" yet.

Coiled cords never seem to streatch as far as advertised. It might be a tight pull to have it anywhere near full length.

I thought I might like the coiled cord but for me it would tend to block the walking path in front of the vehicle.
I like my cable that lays on the floor.

Ingineer said:
Wouldn't the LEAF simply draw more amps @ 208v to max out the charger's capacity since the AV units at the dealer are 30a capable?

davewill said:
Ingineer said:
Wouldn't the LEAF simply draw more amps @ 208v to max out the charger's capacity since the AV units at the dealer are 30a capable?
It will draw a little more if allowed, but the overall output is still less than it would be on 240v, so still not quite as fast.

-Phil

Got my Legrand from Home Depot, installed it two days ago. Installation is really straightforward. It's a fairly basic unit. Someone here called L2 chargers "glorified extension cords", and it was spot on. Box itself is pretty bulky, and 90% empty. Plastic housing is thick and feels solid.

I was considering Schneider and Legrand, and decided on Legrand because of the coiled cord. I read here that coiled cords are hard to walk past, but in my particular case cord was not in the way, and I didn't want to get my hands dirty coiling the cord in the morning before going to work.

Future-proofing setup with Schneider for only $50 more sounded appealing, but convenience won. Plus, on my typical day, I spend only about half the charge, and don't see a need for faster charging. I also expect a lot of change in the EV market in the coming years, so what seems future-proof today may not match what future holds.

Cord is pretty heavy, and it pulls back with significant force. That assures that it comes back nicely, but also it feels like it puts more stress on the charging port than a regular cord would. Handle is straight, not pistol-shaped as with Nissan/Panasonic L1, and acting as a lever it amplifies that action on the charging port from the coils.

Back