Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

the new filling station - setting up your home charging dock

one of the best things about driving a Nissan LEAF™ is refueling – you do it at home. no pump, no gas, no fumes. you just plug in and recharge, right in your garage. your home charging dock is what makes it possible. it's built and installed by our partners at AeroVironment Inc.* and getting one set up takes place in 3 easy steps.

step 1 - assess

to determine how well-suited your home is to receive a charging dock, you need to schedule an assessment with a certified AeroVironment Inc. electrician. here's how it works:
• go to the Nissan LEAF website to schedule a time for a visit
• pay your $100 home assessment fee (deductible from the total cost of the installation)
• have your home and wiring assessed
• receive a quote for the cost of the installation within 72 hours

step 2 - purchase*

after you've received your home charging dock installation quote, it's time to decide on a payment method. you have three options to choose from:
1. pay AeroVironment Inc. in full. you can do this anytime after you've ordered your Nissan LEAF
2. Include the price in your Nissan LEAF retail installment loan
3. include the cost in your Nissan LEAF lease

step 3 - install

with payment taken care of, your AeroVironment Inc. certified electrician will install your home charging dock. here's what'll happen:
• you'll select a time for the installation on the Nissan LEAF website
• your installer will add a 240 volt circuit to your garage or designated parking space
• your home charging dock will be installed
• it will be tested and you'll be given a demo
• an inspector will drop by in a few days to ensure your installation meets our strict quality standards

now, it's your turn - go ahead, plug in, recharge and tell the neighbors you've got a filling station right in your garage.
*AeroVironment Inc. is the Nissan recommended partner certified to conduct the assessment and install the home charging dock for the Nissan LEAF. You are under no obligation to use AeroVironment Inc. in this capacity. Should you elect to use an alternate installer, please call 1-877-NO-GAS-EV.

getting ready for installation - preparing your home for your new charging dock

to help your installation go as safely and smoothly as possible, please review the following list of charging dock "home readiness" tips and recommendations:
• please relocate any existing vehicles that are parked in the EV parking area e.g. garage or carport.
• have an idea of where you plan to park your electric vehicle so we can help ensure that the charging dock is mounted in a suitable location for charging.
• your EV-compatible home charging dock requires the installation of a conduit from the electrical panel to the vehicle parking area. please clear all pathways and the immediate area (5-10 foot radius) in front of all electrical panels and subpanels. installers will need to access main electrical panels and/or subpanels as part of the charging dock installation.
• remember to secure all pets, and supervise any children in your home, away from the installation area, to ensure everyone's safety.
• be sure to turn off any home alarm systems.
• don't forget to secure or remove any fragile items that may be in the path of the installation. installers are not permitted to move customer belongings.
• once you and your installer agree on a location for your new charging dock, we suggest you remove all items — such as shelving or hangers — that may inhibit the conduit run. your site assessor can recommend which items should be removed.
• if you're installing your home charging dock in the garage, please be sure to remove vehicles and other large items that might interfere with the installation.
• an adult will need to be present at your home during the entire site assessment and installation appointments. please allow adequate time in your schedule to be present for the assessment and installation.
• if the electrical panel is located in your home, an adult will need to accompany the installer to its location.

a note to our customers:
• our certified installers will have an AeroVironment certified installer badge.
• our certified installers will never ask for additional personal information, credit card or payment information.

These materials describe certain features of AeroVironment, Inc. EV Solutions™ Home Charging Dock and residential installation services related to anticipated use with Nissan® LEAF™ battery-powered electric vehicles in the United States, are based on information available as of March 1, 2010, do not reflect actual consumer or commercial use of the Home Charging Dock products or residential installation services in connection with the Nissan® LEAF™, and are subject to change at any time without notice. Pricing, delivery model and availability of the Home Charging Docks and residential installation services are not final and may vary due to geography, site conditions, local requirements and other factors. No energy efficiency claims or environmental claims relating to the Home Charging Dock are intended or being made. The Home Charging Dock shown is a design concept or prototype, pre-production model; the final production model may vary in size, color, configuration, specifications and other material aspects. AeroVironment™ is a trademarks of AeroVironment, Inc.

Nissan LEAF home charging FAQ

Q:why do i need a charging dock for my Nissan® LEAF™?
A:the Nissan LEAF features rechargeable batteries that supply energy to the vehicle. when you drive, the vehicle utilizes the battery's stored electricity. the charging dock helps to refill your battery with electricity, similar to filling your current car with gas.

Q:isn't there already a charger on board the Nissan LEAF?
A:yes, there is an "on-board charger" in your vehicle. the charging dock helps to get AC power safely from the utility to your on-board charger. the Nissan LEAF's on-board charger then converts the AC power to DC energy and charges up your battery, with help from the charging dock. all battery electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) that meet national automotive engineering standards can use a home charging dock like EVSE-RS in order to replenish the vehicle's energy.

Q:how will my home charging dock work?

A:your home charging dock is typically mounted on your garage wall and connected to your home's electrical system. you connect the dock to your Nissan LEAF when you park it, and disconnect it when you're ready to drive.

Q:how will i know if my Nissan LEAF is charged up?

A:the charging status is indicated by several lights on the charging dock.

Q:can i stop the charging dock before it's at 100%?

A:just as you can stop refueling a gas car before the tank's filled, you can also stop charging your Nissan LEAF before the battery is fully recharged by pressing the "stop" button then disconnecting the home charging dock.

Q:does it stop automatically?

A:the home charging dock knows when it's done charging, and will stop charging automatically. you will still need to disconnect the dock's connector from the Nissan LEAF before you drive away.

Q:where will i put it?

A:the charging dock is typically mounted on your garage wall near where you park your car. unlike most gas cars, the Nissan LEAF "plugs" in the front, near the hood.

Q:who will install it?

A:eek:nly a professional, licensed electrician certified by the Nissan LEAF program is authorized to install your charging dock to ensure that it works properly and meets all applicable code requirements.

Q:how much will my home charging dock cost?

A:the actual cost will vary according to the site conditions for installation and local requirements. after completing a site assessment at your home, the Nissan LEAF certified installer will provide a firm quote based on what is required for your installation.

Q:how fast does it charge?

A:the home charging dock is designed to fully charge your Nissan LEAF within a maximum of eight hours. the charge time can be much less, depending on the amount of charge remaining in the battery when you begin the charging process.

Q:when will the charging dock be available?

A:home assessments are slated to begin in some states on july 1, 2010, with installation of home charging docks in those states beginning in fall 2010. assessments and installations will expand as the Nissan LEAF becomes available throughout the U.S. to find out more about when assessments and installations are available in your area, please log on to http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car where the latest information on assessments and installation can be found.

Q:is it safe?

A:the home charging dock is designed with safety and reliability in mind, and will be listed by the underwriter's laboratory, the same people who certify other electric appliances in your home.

Q:what if rain gets in the garage?

A:the home charging dock will be rated for outdoor use.

Q:what is the voltage requirement to run the home charging dock?

A:the charging dock is hardwired into a 240V dedicated circuit.

Q:when the home charging dock stops charging, does it stop drawing power?

A:the home charging dock is energy-conscious and stops drawing all but minimal power to provide energy to the led lights.

Q:what's different about the Nissan LEAF charging dock?

A:the Nissan LEAF charging dock is made by AeroVironment (AV) http://www.avinc.com, a technology company that has been on the leading edge of electric vehicle charging technology since the 1980s. AV played a key role in developing the prototype of the first mass market EV, has a line of testing equipment used widely by EV manufacturers to test their technologies, and has been supporting industrial electric vehicles with charging systems for ten years. AV's home charging system is based on years of experience and proven technical expertise, making it an ideal solution for your home and your Nissan LEAF.

Q:what if i live in an apartment?

A:various charging configurations for apartment garages and other multi-family housing situations are being developed for your Nissan LEAF. find out more at http://www.avinc.com/plugin or http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car.

Q:what if i rent my house/don't own my house?

A:if your landlord agrees, the dock can be installed in your garage and uninstalled when you are ready to move.

Q:who will service my home charging dock?

A:eek:nly professional, licensed electricians certified by the Nissan LEAF program are authorized to service your home charging dock. all service calls for your Nissan LEAF home charging dock are guaranteed a response within 24 hours. a convenient toll free number is available to you anytime should you have any questions or concerns. call 1 (877) NO GAS EV or 1 (877) 664-2738.

Q:how do i know if it's charging?

A:an LED light will let you know when it's charging.

Q:how do i get a home charging dock?

A:you can reserve your Nissan LEAF and charging dock at http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car.

Q:what if my Nissan LEAF runs out of charge while i'm on the road?

A:your Nissan LEAF is equipped with a charge gauge similar to your gas vehicle designed to avoid any surprises. there are plans for public charging docks located across the united states, in cities and major travel corridors. many cities already have committed to electrification to make EVs more practical for drivers.

Q:do i have to install a home charging dock to charge my car at home?

A:there are two options for home charging:
"opportunity charging" is accomplished with the Nissan LEAF home charging dock, which requires a 240V dedicated circuit and is designed for a full charge within eight hours under normal circumstances. we call this "opportunity" charging because you will probably use the home charging dock while engaged in other at-home activities such as sleeping, enjoying dinner, or watching TV. remember, you won't need a full charge from 0 to 100% every time. you may get into the habit of charging opportunistically whenever your Nissan LEAF is at a half "tank," low, or nearly full, just because it's easy.
"trickle charging" describes the process of plugging your EV into a regular 120V wall socket and "trickle" charging your car in emergency situations, when a more practical charging regimen isn't available. your Nissan LEAF comes equipped with trickle charging equipment, but a full charge will likely take about twenty hours and may require a dedicated "plug" to be installed in your garage.

Q:what other kinds of charging options are there, besides home charging?

A:
"public opportunity charging." versions of the 240V home charging docks are planned for public and semi-public installation at certain workplaces, as well as shopping malls, retail stores, and other places where drivers have planned stops for a few hours and can charge while taking care of other business.
"quick charging." additional charging infrastructure is planned for installation at public charging locations similar to gas docks for situations when you need to "fill up" in the middle of a long trip, or find your Nissan LEAF is low on charge. these chargers are designed to deliver a full charge to your EV's battery in minutes instead of hours, using a charger from the same company that developed the Nissan LEAF home charger.

These materials describe certain features of AeroVironment, Inc. Home Charging Dock and residential installation services related to anticipated use with Nissan® LEAF™ battery-powered electric vehicles in the United States, are based on information available as of March 1, 2010, do not reflect actual consumer or commercial use of the Home Charging Dock products or residential installation services in connection with the Nissan® LEAF™, and are subject to change at any time without notice. Pricing, delivery model and availability of the Home Charging Docks and residential installation services are not final and may vary due to geography, site conditions, local requirements and other factors. No energy efficiency claims or environmental claims relating to the Home Charging Dock are intended or being made. The Home Charging Dock shown is a design concept or prototype, pre-production model; the final production model may vary in size, color, configuration, specifications and other material aspects. AeroVironment™ is a trademarks of AeroVironment, Inc.

Hello.
I am a LEAF reservation holder. AeroEnvironment or AV contracts it electricians to assess, give quotes and install the home charging stations. They sent an electrician to my home July 23rd. The electrician said that my install was "basic" and it would not be difficult. After inspecting my garage the electrician said it should be no more than the "$2,200" Nissan and AV are claiming the home charger costs (installation, wiring, etc).
The quote was supposed to take 2 to 3 days but in reality AeroEnvironment is taking close to two weeks (8 to 9 days) to return quotes. My friend who lives in Pasadena also got his quote from AV in 9 days. My friend's quote from AV was $2,340.
My quote from AeroEnvironment was $2,463. I believe that this quote is outrageous and that AV and/or its electricians are price gouging. The quote included the installation and wiring for a cost of $1,387. I had a professional licensed electrician come to my home August 5th to give me an estimate of installation and wiring of the home charging station. The electrician stated and drew up plans with a quote of $700! That is $763 LESS than the AV contracted electrician.
I called AV and they agreed that the price of their contracted electrician seems high. I asked about purchasing just the charging system. AV stated that I could do this although it would not have the warranty on installation or something. For the amount of money I am saving getting it installed by my own licensed electrician I can BUT another charging dock if something goes wrong. The electrician I had said that his work has a warranty of 5 years!

JPC2822 said:
I called AV and they agreed that the price of their contracted electrician seems high. I asked about purchasing just the charging system. AV stated that I could do this although it would not have the warranty on installation or something.

Wait a minute, that's a 180 degree swing from what many of us have been told by AV in preceding weeks. Those who inquired until now have been told in no uncertain terms that AV will not sell an EVSE to anyone but their authorized contractor. So if that is true, then things are starting to turn for the better!

AV would have seen the landscape in Plugin 2010 and changed tune ? Hope so.

Can couple of others make a call too - to check ?

I just spoke to AV Thursday August 5th! I SPOKE TO "MIKE" I told him that their contracted electrician's quote is outrageous.
AV representative "Mike" told me he is putting me down on their "list" for people who want to purchase the AV Home Charger. I asked him how many people were on this list. Mike said, not that many!
Thanks for reading my post! :D

I have to agree that $1200 ~ $1300 is outrageous. If you take a standard labor rate of $120, that means that the installer needs 10 hours to install a charger. In my case the charger is going to be right below the garage sub-panel and will use an existing vacant 40 amp breaker. The wiring distance between the breaker and the charger is less than 2 feet.

I hope that we can work this out as it is a show stopper (even with the 50% tax credit) for us getting a Leaf.

OrientExpress said:
I have to agree that $1200 ~ $1300 is outrageous. If you take a standard labor rate of $120, that means that the installer needs 10 hours to install a charger. In my case the charger is going to be right below the garage sub-panel and will use an existing vacant 40 amp breaker. The wiring distance between the breaker and the charger is less than 2 feet.

I hope that we can work this out as it is a show stopper (even with the 50% tax credit) for us getting a Leaf.

The more people push back the more they will likely respond. Notice the "below" MSRP pricing on the LEAF now...

OrientExpress said:
I have to agree that $1200 ~ $1300 is outrageous. If you take a standard labor rate of $120, that means that the installer needs 10 hours to install a charger.
Far be it from me to defend what I agree is an outrageous charge, but in fairness we should admit that it may require three trips - assessment, installation, city inspection.

planet4ever said:
OrientExpress said:
I have to agree that $1200 ~ $1300 is outrageous. If you take a standard labor rate of $120, that means that the installer needs 10 hours to install a charger.
Far be it from me to defend what I agree is an outrageous charge, but in fairness we should admit that it may require three trips - assessment, installation, city inspection.

When a licensed electrician I contacted from the Yellow Pages agrees to do ALL the above for half the price AND I got a quote from my city for a permit for ANOTHER hald the price I believe and comfortable in stating that AV and their contracted electricians are PRICE GOUGING! Hopefully AV will stick to what they told me last week and sell the home charging station to me without using their contracted electricians. With the money I save I can but an additional charging station if anything goes wrong with it in the future!

Well I am sorry you are having these problems. I am glad that I am getting my charger, what brand I am not sure. But the tax man is paying.

Gonewild said:
Well I am sorry you are having these problems. I am glad that I am getting my charger, what brand I am not sure. But the tax man is paying.

After reviewing my taxes from last year, you're welcome.

:lol:

has anyone had an online chat with nissan discribing this gouging :?: :?:
i would think that if they knew about it, nissan would straighten it out :!:
i don't get my leaf til fall 2011, so i sure hope it's resolved by then. :?

bradford said:
has anyone had an online chat with nissan discribing this gouging :?: :?:
i would think that if they knew about it, nissan would straighten it out :!:
i don't get my leaf til fall 2011, so i sure hope it's resolved by then. :?

bradford,

I am in the same boat as you (fall/winter 2011 delivery in Boston), no worries, by fall of 2011, there will be SO many EVSE choices, it will be a "buyers" market, and they will be HEAVILY discounted by then. The Leviton, will be out, AV will likely be selling theirs by itself, and there will be several other choices by then as well. It's really just an issue for the "early early" adopters, us unfortunates in the non initial roll out states will likely be getting the 2012 Leaf and will benifet from the experiences of the "real early" adopters of CA, AZ, TN, etc.

I have been waiting for my quote since July 5th. I doubt I will buy through them as my house is prewired. I need a corded model or I will add a cord to what is available.

Are there any click and buy sources yet for these chargers? I see at least four brands that will compete but no real availability or prices yet.
I see Aerovironment, GE, Leviton, and Coulomb.... any others?

Clipper Creek - available but very expensive.
All the others, future availability. No way to order, prices not certain, availability not certain.

Be patient everyone, the prices will drop soon and fast. AV will likely learn that this is not the big money grab they thought and they are far too top heavy to be competitive in this market. Look at their businesses carefully and it will all make sense. This was all put in place to insure a smooth launch for Nissan, I bet AV and those that signed up to be installers thought this would be a great way to make a quick buck on "the next new thing" but any contractor knows that this is a money pit for installers because there are too many parties involved to be competitive. This is a decent model for regional and small electrical outfits to sell and install these units at a reasonable cost and to make a reasonable profit. It is no different than installing an outlet, just an expensive one. If it were not for Nissan and the government program push for this then it would be very simple. This will all fade away rapidly as local installers start selling and installing them and savvy home owners buy them and install themselves. Don't expect a long wait for this either:) Many will wonder why they spent so much on this and some may or buy their own this year for the deduction and save big bucks.

I just got my quote back from AV for a garage installed wall mounted charger. I was informed AV charges a fixed price for the easy installs then goes up from there. My was an easy install. I have a 50Amp 220v plug already installed when the house was built just for the EV charger station. So I am being charged $1,199.90 to install 2 bolts and plug in the unit, plus $150 for a permit not need because it's plugged in therefore it's an appliance by my city building Dept. Permits were previously made for the plug when the house was built. Then $49.95 for shipping, $721.12 for the wall unit and $70.31 for California sales tax.

:D Seems to me the 32A 220v plug-in Leviton unit is going to be a much better deal. I'm just waiting for Leviton to publish there plug-in price.

storeman86 said:
I just got my quote back from AV for a garage installed wall mounted charger. I was informed AV charges a fixed price for the easy installs then goes up from there. My was an easy install. I have a 50Amp 220v plug already installed when the house was built just for the EV charger station. So I am being charged $1,199.90 to install 2 bolts and plug in the unit, plus $150 for a permit not need because it's plugged in therefore it's an appliance by my city building Dept. Permits were previously made for the plug when the house was built. Then $49.95 for shipping, $721.12 for the wall unit and $70.31 for California sales tax.

:D Seems to me the 32A 220v plug-in Leviton unit is going to be a much better deal. I'm just waiting for Leviton to publish there plug-in price.

It seems AV is going to need to clue in quickly or loose quite a bit of business. From day one I never thought "labor" was actual labor but more like "margin" disguised as labor. They know about this but are ignoring it to see if it sticks. WE need an AV "group buy", LOL.

Back