Chattanooga Murphy Express Eaton DCQC Removed!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimLee

There is an Eaton Level 3 charger installed at the Murphy Express in Chattanooga on Lee Highway at Highway 153. I don't think it is in service yet, but station attendant thought the owner would be at the station some time next week for activation of the Level 3 charger.
Got out of my Leaf last night and was amazed to see it there, 10' left of where I parked!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Edit: Observed 19May2016 that the Eaton DCQC has been removed.

TimLee said:
There is an Eaton Level 3 charger installed at the Murphy Express in Chattanooga on Lee Highway at Highway 153. I don't think it is in service yet, but station attendant thought the owner would be at the station some time next week for activation of the Level 3 charger.
Got out of my Leaf last night and was amazed to see it there, 10' left of where I parked!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Man that's great! Hopefully we will be seeing more L2 and L3 chargers in Tennessee.

TimLee said:

Awesome news! I was planning on waiting for Cracker Barrel to have their Level 3 chargers installed (making a stop in Manchester) before making a road-trip down to Chattanooga.

Did you snap any pictures?

So then, why is Cracker Barrel not putting there L3 chargers in the restaurants located on the bermuda triangle as they so loudly proclaimed they would last year?

Ralph

EVJoy said:
The charger is in service now!

No way! That is great news. I know Rachel when driving up for this weekend's meet-up snapped a picture and that it was offline. Is anyone in that area going to use it?

Store manager told me there is a big dedication ceremony on September 3rd, but didn't know exact times yet.
Will be lots of dignataries, including the Governor, and executives from Murphy Express corporation.
She indicated Nissan paid for the charger. First installed in Tennessee.

Link to Eaton brochure on their Level 3 charger:
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/pa0ev00002e.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Operating environment having to be >14F seems a bit strange. Seems like the enclosure would have a space heater allowing operation a lot lower than 14F.

This link from 09-24-2010 indicates that this is a collaboration between Eaton and Murphy, and that it will initially be tested at a location in Tennessee.
http://www.mfrtech.com/articles/3919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My guess is that the Chattanooga installation is the test location.

cdub said:
That's awesome. Now let's just install some in SoCal for crying out loud.

No kidding! It's getting kind of embarrassing how little infrastructure has been installed in CA.

I just now called and talked to a service station employee there. I was told that although as far as she knew the L3 charger was operational, they were waiting on a "grand opening" event in the near future before allowing cars to charge there. I would not be surprised if they were also waiting on its UL Listing... She acknowledged that this was the first L3 in Tennessee.

I would love to see L3 charging stations at every rest stop on the interstate systems. SoCal has nothing to complain about. We have nothing in middle Georgia, and no programs ether. We have to buy all of our L2, there is no program for us.

garygid said:
The Eaton unit probably has a cooling/refrigeration unit
that does not (re)move enough heat at low temperatures??
Almost all cooling/refrigeration units I'm familiar with have improved performance as ambient temperature goes lower. Seems more likely that something in the charger design doesn't like excessive cold. Maybe they were planning on use in the warmer parts of California. :D
Gets a bit colder than 14F in Chattanooga.

Store manager told me there is a big dedication ceremony on September 3rd, but didn't know exact times yet.
Will be lots of dignataries, including the Governor, and executives from Murphy Express corporation.
She indicated Nissan paid for the charger. First installed in Tennessee.

Tim:

I've Googled everything from "Eaton" to "Murphy Oil" to "Governor Bill Haslam" and haven't found a thing about a dedication on Saturday, September 3. If you find out more, let us know--I'd love to be there for a LEAF parade! I might even wash the car.

I have two thoughts about this Saturday. First off, it's the Labor Day Holiday weekend. Second, Governor Haslam's family runs Pilot Oil. I would be, indeed, very impressed if he showed up on a holiday weekend at a competitor's Fast Charger dedication!

Steve Schmidt

Tim:

It's Friday morning.

I just called Governor Haslam's office in Nashville and talked to his scheduling person.

She knows nothing about the Governor attending an EV Charger dedication in Hixson tomorrow. Maybe he will surprise us!

Steve Schmidt

Don't know anything about Chattanooga's L3 but SmartPlanet.com reports Marriott is installing L2 charging at their hotels. "http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/business-brains/marriott-charges-up-hotel-parking-lots/18378?tag=header;header-sec".

They say the select hotels are currently in Calif, Florida, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Las Vegas, and Denmark.

They also report free valet parking if you drive up in a Electric Vehical. If no L2 is available, they will attempt to provide at least a L1 to plug into. It may not be much but things are moving. :D

Back