uncomfortable headrests and driver seat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubasandy

I tried searching to see if anyone else posted this, but didn't come up with anything. I've 5'10" and find the headrest is giving me a sore neck. I understand it's forward for safety reasons. Does anyone know if it's feasible to get an aftermarket headrest that doesn's sit so far forward? And any chance to get an aftermarket driver seat that is more comfortable? I was spoiled in my all electric leather (yes, I own a Leaf and like leather) seat from my Honda Accord- most comfortable seat ever.

By the way- love my new Leaf otherwise. I've yet to see another one in Phoenix, though. If you see me in my blue Leaf, honk!

+1.

It does feel like it wants me in an unhealthy, hunched-over position and is uncomfortable for me as well. I'm 5'11".

I think that a wedge between hung over the chair itself (not the headrest) would be a big help. It would move my upper back an inch or two forward relative to the headrest, and taper off to nothing by the time it reached my lower back.

Anyone know where to buy a "seat back wedge" like this?

Thanks,
-Brad

Oddly enough, while I was concerned about the comfort of the Leaf seat after a short test drive, once I took delivery I haven't noticed any problems. Guess comfort is a very subjective thing.

I love nearly everything about the car except the seat and headrest. I'm only 5"1 and have the seat raised nearly all the way and have to put a pillow behind my back, otherwise I feel like my back/sitting position looks like the letter "C" - not at all comfortable or promoting good posture.

scubasandy said:
I was spoiled in my all electric leather (yes, I own a Leaf and like leather) seat from my Honda Accord- most comfortable seat ever.

Bad karma man!.. perhaps you can start to atone by not eating meat more than once a week.

ecoobsessive said:
...I feel like my back/sitting position looks like the letter "C" - not at all comfortable or promoting good posture.

Exactly!

A headrest that was adjustable front-to-back would be very welcome--anyone have recommendations/tips for aftermarket/replacement headrests?

bradleygibson said:
A headrest that was adjustable front-to-back would be very welcome--anyone have recommendations/tips for aftermarket/replacement headrests?
Your best bet is to go to an auto upholstery shop. Making these kinds of changes is nothing for them.

FWIW - I find the seat pretty comfortable myself. Wish the seat would go a bit lower, and that the steering wheel telescoped.

scubasandy said:
I tried searching to see if anyone else posted this, but didn't come up with anything. I've 5'10" and find the headrest is giving me a sore neck. I understand it's forward for safety reasons. Does anyone know if it's feasible to get an aftermarket headrest that doesn's sit so far forward? And any chance to get an aftermarket driver seat that is more comfortable? I was spoiled in my all electric leather (yes, I own a Leaf and like leather) seat from my Honda Accord- most comfortable seat ever.
By the way- love my new Leaf otherwise. I've yet to see another one in Phoenix, though. If you see me in my blue Leaf, honk!

I'm almost 5'11", and what I did was raise the seat all the way and then moved the seat two slots forward starting from the back. The only problem I have had with the headrest was when I floored the accelerator from a stop, my head was slammed back on it. Otherwise, it has been very comfortable to drive with these seats.
If you are in west Phoenix, then I doubt if I'll see your car because I'm on the east side. I have a Cayenne Red one. The only blue one I've seen was in Chandler at State Farm.

I would really like an armrest on the left that was usable while holding onto the wheel.
the top of the door, below the window, is hard.

I find the LEAF's seats are rather comfortable, but to each their own. It may help to tilt the seat back one click. Otherwise, I would refer to an upholstery shop.

Thanks, everyone. To the upholstery shop I go. BTW, Sandy is my late Laborador retriever. I'll leave you guessing if I'm male or female. And someone needs to do something with all that leftover leather from the beef eaters of the world... :lol:

I totally agree that comfort is a very subjective thing. I am 6' and have no issues with seat or headrests. Some people have complained about the lousy stereo and iPhone connectivity. I do not have problems with either of these things. Again all of these issues are subjective.

Stoaty said:
Oddly enough, while I was concerned about the comfort of the Leaf seat after a short test drive, once I took delivery I haven't noticed any problems. Guess comfort is a very subjective thing.

I think all new cars have this headrest problem. I noticed it first last year when we rented a Toyota Prius. Like someone here said, my body was turned into the shape of a "C"with my head leaning forward. I hate this! I suppose it is some type of government mandate. I usually like them for safety reasons; but, I think this time they have gone too far!

I took the headrests out, turned them completely around and put them back in so I wasn't driving with my chin on my chest.

Since I rarely have backseat passengers, I took them off completely and stored them in the boot for the few times I have rear seat passengers. What an amazing difference in the rear-view mirror!

Herm said:
Bad karma man!.. perhaps you can start to atone by not eating meat more than once a week.
Great...
Not a huge leather fan, but all this talk of eating meat has me hungry...
I was going to go for the salad today, but thanx to you, it's off to the Rib Shack..
I hope you're happy!!

;-)

Oh, and I kind of like the seats too.. But my previous commuter was a Kia Rio. ;-)

desiv

Just getting used to my new 2015 LEAF SV. I too dislike the headrests that push my head so far forward and down. I just swapped (driver's side only at this point) front with back. Seems to be just what the doctor ordered for my seat. Don't worry much about the rear.
I have to say, the headrest positioning is about the only thing I don't like about my new Leaf. Of course it's also my first Leaf. From reading thru some of the mods and wishes, it appears that by 2015, a lot of these were listened to and included on the car.

I have one of the rear headrests off to increase visibility. I'll try putting it on the driver's seat. Thanks. BTW, I went to reverse the front headrest last year and it wouldn't go back in that way. I didn't try to force it.

Back