COSTCO not planning EV chargers upgrade...unless we request

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CASF

Just got a reply from COSTCO regarding EV chargers upgrade to J1772.

We are working with a couple of manufacturers of chargers regarding the topic of installing the new spec chargers/connectors but are not planning on any near term roll out. Our installation plans for new chargers will be strongly affected by how many members we actually have showing up in the parking lots with electric cars.

Craig Peal
Costco

Was this a corporate contact or a local one? I'll be happy to write to whoever needs to hear about it.

PS It'll help searching if you fix the title.

davewill said:
Was this a corporate contact or a local one? I'll be happy to write to whoever needs to hear about it.

PS It'll help searching if you fix the title.
Title edited :) THX

It was corporate contact - according to Clean Fuel Connection Craig Peal is working on Funding for Charger Upgrades. You can contact him via email: cpeal at costco.com

The Costco at Carmel Mountain (San Diego) has a NEMA L5-20 just sitting there, waiting for a EVSE with the correct plug.

I'm sending Costco an email about L2-J1772's, and/or additional NEMA plugs for 240 volt (14-50's).

Tony

I'm sort of new to J1772, but unless I'm missing something this could be as simple as replacing the Avcon plugs with new J1772 plugs. Significantly easier, cheaper and faster than replacing entire charging stations. I used one of similarly upgraded units at Silver Spring Networks in Redwood City couple of weeks ago and everything was fine. One of the EV DIY forum members blogged up this procedure as well:

http://www.tzev.com/j1772_avcon_head_connector_conversion.html

That being said, I have just purchased an Avcon adapter and don't expect that the upgrades will be fast and furious. The Costco response is symptomatic I'd say.

Mr. Peal,

I'm writing to persuade you to upgrade the existing Costco electric charging stations to the newest format, J1772.

While I can't use the current chargers located at many Costco stores, I can use the NEMA L5-20 (120 volt) electrical outlet located at the Costco in Carmel Mountain (San Diego).

I would request, also, that your company install very cheap and easy to add NEMA electrical outlets for 240 volt (14-50's), much like the L5-20 in Carmel Mountain. The Nissan LEAF can plug in directly to a standard household 120 volt wall socket (in addition to a J1772, and a ChaDeMo L3 DC fast charger). Many people modify them to be readily able to plug into virtually any wall socket, 120 volt or 240 volt.

Tony Williams
Nissan LEAF electric car owner and Costco member

Aren't all the old Avcon's in CA eligible for a free upgrade from Clipper Creek anyway? It shouldn't cost them anything, right? Unless they've installed them in other states. They could at least do they ones here...

Right, that's a good point. Wonder if Craig Peal knew that. Given the amount of public money being thrown at this, I'm wondering what's holding up the upgrade process.

http://www.plugincars.com/missed-charge-station-opportunity-san-francisco-107226.html

davewill said:
Tony,

Is that actually a L5-20 (twist lock) or a regular 5-20 that takes a standard plug? Where is it located? By the tire center?

Right behind the hot dog stand on the main building, behind the car chargers (that are always filled with ICE's):

12552b40.jpg

At every Costco they have a suggestion box, and I have heard that they actually do read them all. At the Costco in Irwindale I parked in the EV space even though I couldn't use the old chargers, went and found the manager and asked him about the upgrade. I also wrote a note thanking them for the nice parking space, but asking them to upgrade it to the j1772, leaving it in the suggestion box. I will do the same in Burbank soon, thank you for going from the top down, but a bit of from the bottom up won't hurt either.

My nearest Costco (Laguna Niguel, I believe) had all 3 EV spaces marked "for tire dept. use only" (or similar wording), with nothing parked there.

Nothing appeared functional.

thankyouOB said:
what is the point of charging while at Costco for 30 minutes or even an hour?
What's the point of charging anywhere? If I've been running around all day, being able to charge and grab another 5 or 10 miles could easily be the deciding factor in going to Costco or not.

TonyWilliams said:
thankyouOB said:

Have you been to a Costco during Xmas?

No, I am not a crazy person.

But seriously guys, are you really going to expend all this energy to get Costco to convert chargers so you can add 2 or 3 kWh during a trip to the store?
Another 10 miles? You sound just plain silly.

thankyouOB said:
But seriously guys, are you really going to expend all this energy to get Costco to convert chargers so you can add 2 or 3 kWh during a trip to the store?
Another 10 miles? You sound just plain silly.
Expend what energy, an email? Besides the point is to have charging at Costco, and the mall, and the theater, and the doctor's office, and....you get the idea. When charging is available all over the place range issues become moot.

thankyouOB said:
It allows you more flexibility. I have only charged at my local Costco once, but have opportunity charged at Irvine, Laguna Nigel, Downey, Cherry Hill, Gilroy, Salinas, San Francisco, and Palmdale. They support the EV cause with a safety net of charging infrastructure to encourage EVs. And that makes Costco a preferred shopping site for me. ~$4,500 this year.

KeiJidosha said:
thankyouOB said:
It allows you more flexibility. I have only charged at my local Costco once, but have opportunity charged at Irvine, Laguna Nigel, Downey, Cherry Hill, Gilroy, Salinas, San Francisco, and Palmdale. They support the EV cause with a safety net of charging infrastructure to encourage EVs. And that makes Costco a preferred shopping site for me. ~$4,500 this year.

you drive your EV between San Francisco and Laguna Niguel?

Back