Interesting Mod for your EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

Here's the latest mod I've implemented:

pic

pic

It adds a bright white LED to the end of the EVSE that illuminates when the handle release button is pressed. This way you can easily see the charge port when inserting the J1772 plug at night or in a dimly lit garage (as is often the case).

Note that I have no intention of offering this mod for sale, but I think all EVSE manufacturers should add it as a standard feature, as it wouldn't add much to the cost if done during manufacture.

Please don't bother PM'ing me about this, as I'm not interested in answering questions about it and will ignore them. Rather, I prefer all (intelligent) questions be answered in the forum so that everyone can benefit.

-Phil

TRONZ said:
NICE!!! I think you should send those photos off to the EVSE manufacturers.
...and I think Phil should send the schematic off to the Nissan website and Customer Service designers! :D

I have a habit of doodling when I'm on the phone. That schematic looks an awful lot like my notepad after talking with Nissan CS for an hour.

Looks great! I want that. Time to get out the dremel...

I guess you added a microswitch to the release button. Was it designed for that, or did you just squish it in? Did you stick a battery in the yazaki connector, or are you using the pilot signal to drive the LED?

I'm tempted to do this to my Blink EVSE at home, but as part of the contract I agreed to not modify it for 3 years. I wonder if adding an LED to the J1772 port is considered a modification? I guess I can always modify my Nissan Level 1, but I haven't really used that yet.

-Tyler

Ok, I propose a contest:

First person to guess how I've implemented this, wins a coupon for a 10% discount (or free Adapter) with an EVSE upgrade!

Clues:

1. It's powered by the EVSE.
2. The LED is consuming .1 watt.
3. No switches were added.
4. The total component count is 5 including the LED.
5. The addition of this circuit doesn't impact the function of the EVSE at all.

Contest rules: No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Only one (1) entry per household. Employees, Agents, Chihuahuas, Sponsors and families of mynissanleaf.com or GaryGid are not eligible. Your dentist must approve all entries. Your mileage may vary, and your range varies so much you think you are going insane.

-Phil

Hmmm...pulling power from pin 4 - the pilot line. LED, current limiting resistor, a couple of diodes and a cap?

Contest rules: No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Only one (1) entry per household. Employees, Agents, Chihuahuas, Sponsors and families of mynissanleaf.com or GaryGid are not eligible. Your dentist must approve all entries. Your mileage may vary, and your range varies so much you think you are going insane.

Ah, geeze...and I was hoping Gary would solve this in a flash. :lol:

If this is like anything I've ever designed..

Duct tape, hot glue, a chewing gum wrapper, a penny... Oh yeah, an LED I guess too :lol:

Ingineer said:
Ok, I propose a contest:

First person to guess how I've implemented this, wins a coupon for a 10% discount (or free Adapter) with an EVSE upgrade!
But, you already gave us the circuit! (Or did you goof and give us the circuit of the ChargeAmerica EVSE?) :)

Back