GCC: The Electric Circuit to deploy 1,600 fast-charge stations in Québec over the next 10 years

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/01/20190127-quebec.html

The Electric Circuit, Hydro-Québec’s public charging network, announced that fast-charge stations will now be deployed more quickly with the rollout of approximately one hundred new fast-charge stations. Over the next 10 years, 1,600 new fast-charge stations will be deployed in Québec.

In June 2018, the National Assembly unanimously adopted An Act to promote the establishment of a public fast-charging service for electric vehicles. The new legislation authorizes Hydro-Québec to use revenue from the increase in electricity sales generated by charges carried out primarily at electric vehicle drivers’ homes to fund the installation of more fast-charge stations. Electricity rates will therefore not be affected.

Hydro-Québec’s specific objectives are:

• Commission 1,600 fast-charge stations in the next 10 years. As many as 22 new fast-charge stations have already been deployed in 2019 and about 100 in total will be deployed this year.

Expand the network in areas that currently have fewer fast-charge stations, such as Mauricie, Côte-Nord, Saguenay–Lac-St-Jean and Abitibi-Témiscamingue.

Densify the network in the busiest areas in order to eliminate waiting times at some stations in peak hours, particularly along highways.

Provide a high-quality, reliable service that is provided at the same price for all electric vehicle drivers so they can travel anywhere in Québec with ease.

Over time, the speed with which the new charging stations are installed will be modified based on the following:

• Forecasts of the number of electric vehicle drivers, where they are located and the usage of existing charging stations.

Costs incurred by expanding the network.

New technologies that simplify the installation of fast-charge stations.

Ensuring that the rollout of fast-charge stations has no impact on electricity rates. . . .

Under its fast-charge infrastructure program, Natural Resources Canada selected three Hydro-Québec projects to receive financial assistance of approximately $5 million. These amounts will be used to fund the installation of approximately 100 fast-charge stations in Québec. The three selected projects are for the installation of 10 superstations with four fast-charge stations, as well as the deployment of 40 fast-charge stations on the north shore of the Fleuve Saint-Laurent (St. Lawrence River) and 20 fast-charge stations on the south shore.

There are currently close to 40,000 electric vehicles registered in Québec and the Electric Circuit has more than 1,700 charging stations, including 168 fast-charge stations.

I estimate that Quebec Hydro collects about 4 million CAD a year in extra profit from the current fleet:

4 ^4 EVs
20 ^3 km per year
6 km per kWh
3 cents profit per kWh

= 13 ^7 kWh per year
= 39 ^5 CAD per year
= 3.9 ^6 CAD per year

A drop in the bucket compared to the grandiose language. If more than a handful get built it will be from other monies.

LeftieBiker said:
The word "densify" suggests to me that these "goals" are as much PR as hard planning.
Okay, I'm stumped as to why the use of 'densify' in this context says anything further than what you'd expect, the intention to increase the number/density of stations. Care to explain what leads you to your conclusion, and what term you think they should have used if 'hard planning' was involved?

"Densify" is PR-speak. Someone planning to actually do something, as opposed to talking about doing something as a strategy in and of itself, would be much more likely to say "increase the density."

Maybe, but perhaps it's just your sensitivity to words that's the issue, rather than any deliberate attempt at PR rather than substance. I don't much care if 'densify' or 'increase the density' is used to describe the process, as long as it gets done. Now, if you want to complain about people using 'ongoing' instead of 'continuing', count me in ;)

Back