Siemens VersiCharge - Costco Members - pay $360 while supplies last

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeFO

In case someone is looking for a Siemens Versi Charge (VC30GRYU)

Features:
30 Amp Indoor/Outdoor Electric Vehicle Charger
20 Foot Cord - SAE J1772 Plug
Integrated delay functionality
Requires NEMA 6-50 Receptacle and a 2-pole 40-amp circuit breaker

Costco Members pay $360 through 12/11/18 while supplies last

https://www.costco.com/.product.100295506.html?&EMID=B2C_2018_1205_DailyDealsDay6

NOTE: I think this would charge a Leaf just fine. However, you would need to check this of course. I use a Clipper Creek but this seems like a really good price.

ByeFO said:
In case someone is looking for a Siemens Versi Charge (VC30GRYU)

Features:
30 Amp Indoor/Outdoor Electric Vehicle Charger
20 Foot Cord - SAE J1772 Plug
Integrated delay functionality
Requires NEMA 6-50 Receptacle and a 2-pole 40-amp circuit breaker

Costco Members pay $360 through 12/11/18 while supplies last

https://www.costco.com/.product.100295506.html?&EMID=B2C_2018_1205_DailyDealsDay6

NOTE: I think this would charge a Leaf just fine. However, you would need to check this of course. I use a Clipper Creek but this seems like a really good price.

Don’t know about older Leaf’s but my 2108 owners manual calls for a 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
EDIT: I looked at the manual again, it does call for a 50 amp breaker, but did not see anything on the NEMA receptacle. I put in a 14-50 in my garage, works just fine with my 2018 Leaf.

A 40a breaker is just fine with a EVSE that only puts out 30a(27.5a max with our Leafs). This seems like a real good deal, the cord while not short isn't as long as some but if 20' works, you should be good to go.

This is the charger I use and I love it. I had a "dryer plug" installed just below our garage breaker box and it works fine. Very easy install. Drop out of the bottom of the box to the plug, then install the charger next to the breaker box and plug it in. It took the electrician 18 minutes to install the plug and the charger. Cost me $125, the minimum visit charge. Used it with our 2015 Leaf and now our 2018. 40 Amp breaker.

Personally, I would go with a 50amp breaker, the Leaf may not be your last EV, so down the road you may need a larger breaker.
Also remember, the copper wire size is different with a 50 vs. 40 amp breaker.

Baltneu said:
Personally, I would go with a 50amp breaker, the Leaf may not be your last EV, so down the road you may need a larger breaker.

My outlet is on a 40 Amp breaker, but has wire sized for a 50 Amp circuit.

WetEV said:
Baltneu said:

My outlet is on a 40 Amp breaker, but has wire sized for a 50 Amp circuit.

I am no electrician but I read that you need #6 copper wire for the 50 amp breaker, so I hope you 40 amp breaker has #6, because you stated you have the wiring for 50 amp.

BlueandFav said:
Since I missed this sale I am wondering if I should buy now or wait for another sale? How often do charging stations go on sale?

No set schedule other than the obvious Christmas marketing. Pretty sure you can go to Costco.com and set up alerts though.

You can get 30 amp evse units off eBay or Amazon for less than $400 at any time.

The cheapest way to get 240v charging if you can't stomach modding your 12 amp 120v nissan evse for 240v is to get a 240v duosida 16 amp 3.8kw evse for around $160.

This page has a banner ad for Chargepoint 20% off through Jan 20th but I'll likely just get a EVSE on ebay. I was going to buy a Juicebox 40 at Costco but they went up in price :? Not sure if it will come back down. I like that Costco has easy returns and extends warranties.

The problem with eBay is that China is the technical wild west. There is virtually no enforcement of standards. Many Chinese EVSE;s claim to be J1772 compliant. For my backup GPS frequency reference I purchased a ripoff that ever had the copyright of the original. II do have the original on my main unit. I am diabetic and I purchase pen needles from China. They are an exact copy of the BD units but they are a third the cost even with Kaisers negotiated price,. I really doubt BD gets a license fee but since I pay for them the China units are fine and work well.

The j1772 protocol is really simple. It's not like they could build one without a pilot signal.
If they tried to skimp on something like that it just wouldn't work.

The j1772 protocol has some really stupid requirements like the plug going to the brick can only be 30cm long. I replaced that sorry excuse with a 2m long cord.
How is a non locking plug and receptacle supporting the weight of the evse safe?
90% of everyone who uses an evse is just going to use an extension cord anyways.

I know that the few times I have tested an EVSE on 120VAC I have used a #12 guage extension cord. On the EVSE;s I build I ignore the short power cord requirement and I use a 4 ft range cable. I think the requirement for a short cord is silly. Most of the Chinese EVSE's that I have seen lack GFCI though if you use a GFCI breaker I suppose it is OK. They claim to be J1772 compliant.I guess in China you can claim anything you want.

I know very early OpenEVSE units lacked GFCI and they worked fine. OpenEVSE has had GFCI for a very long time and all American units like Clipper Creek also have it. It is part of the spec along with the 18 inch or less power cable..

If you are right 30CM is11.85 inches. That is ridiculously short. I thought 18 inches was too short!

I can think of a million things I would pick the cheaper item but an EVSE is not one of them. I don't play with fire.
That said, I recently read about a generic that uses clipper creek parts. That might be OK

Oilpan4 said:
The j1772 protocol is really simple. It's not like they could build one without a pilot signal.
If they tried to skimp on something like that it just wouldn't work.

The j1772 protocol has some really stupid requirements like the plug going to the brick can only be 30cm long. I replaced that sorry excuse with a 2m long cord.
How is a non locking plug and receptacle supporting the weight of the evse safe?
90% of everyone who uses an evse is just going to use an extension cord anyways.

I thought it was the National Electrical Code that limited the length of the input power pigtail on an EVSE.

They can say what ever they want.
I'm still going to put a longer cord on them.

NEC does specify cord lengths for other appliances and I do believe as of 2014 I saw something in there for j1772.
But I have never heard of it actually being enforced out side of the appliance factories.

Now that you mention it the only car I have seen damaged by a level 1 or 2 charger is a lady on FB that had an electrician put in one of the nicer after market L2 units and now her car won't charge with any L1 or L2 charger.

Probably should have gotten the duosida.

Back