Using a Type 1 / Type 2 cable VS adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroud

Hello,

I am new to the life of an EV owner, having bought a second-hand Nissan Leaf S 2015 only a few weeks ago, and therefore I have everything to learn :)

Our Leaf has a 24 kWh battery and 6.6 kW onboard charger, with ChaDeMo and Type 1 charging sockets.

It seems that where I live there are no Type 1 charging stations, so we have been looking forward to buying either a cable or an adapter that would let us charge at Type 2 charging stations, for example this one:

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/nissan-leaf/products/platinum-package-ev-charging-5m-cable-cable-case-32amp-7-2kw-type-1-type-2

Now some doubt came up, as we noticed that some of those Type 2 charging stations already have their own cable, meaning that we would need a short Type 1 / Type 2 adapter between the station cable and our car socket instead of a full cable. However, the Nissan Car Owner's Manual mentions that charging adapters should not be used. Is this true, is there any danger involved by using adapters or is it just a precaution that we shouldn't worry too much about?

I don't really know much about electricity... do those 32A / 7.2 kW properties of the cable in the link represent simply some limits, and the cable would work fine and safe with our car, or should we use only cables that have exactly 6.6 kW (and maybe a specific A value also)?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, this forum is US-centric w/a few Canadians and others outside North America thrown in.

Virtually all level 1 and 2 AC (100 to 240 volts) charging here is done over J1772. We don't have Mennekes Type 2. To ship a car here with Type 2 would be stupid since there's no infrastructure.

It's mostly J1772 and Tesla North American connector wall connectors for AC charging. And, Tesla Supercharger (North American connector), CHAdeMO and SAE Combo (Combo1 flavor of CCS) are for DC fast charging.

My understanding is that a UK car should have COME with a cable of the type you linked, since otherwise, nobody could charge one. That would be used at all public stations. Then at home, your charging station would have the Type 1 cable integrated into it. If you find you DO need an adapter, I wouldn't hesitate to use a well built one.

shroud said:
Is this true, is there any danger involved by using adapters or is it just a precaution that we shouldn't worry too much about?
I wouldn't worry. Many EV drivers are in your situation. (I'm in the U.S. myself, but I can read.)

I don't really know much about electricity... do those 32A / 7.2 kW properties of the cable in the link represent simply some limits, and the cable would work fine and safe with our car, or should we use only cables that have exactly 6.6 kW (and maybe a specific A value also)?
The car and the EVSE each has its own limits; the cable is passive. You just want one that's rated for at least as much as the max you'll actually draw. So yes, that cable should be fine.

wmcbrine said:
shroud said:
Is this true, is there any danger involved by using adapters or is it just a precaution that we shouldn't worry too much about?
I wouldn't worry. Many EV drivers are in your situation. (I'm in the U.S. myself, but I can read.)

The car and the EVSE each has its own limits; the cable is passive. You just want one that's rated for at least as much as the max you'll actually draw. So yes, that cable should be fine.
Actually Type 2 cables like he linked are NOT passive and will limit the amperage even if both the car and the charging station would otherwise support more.

davewill said:
Actually Type 2 cables like he linked are NOT passive and will limit the amperage even if both the car and the charging station would otherwise support more.

Thanks, good to know! It looks like all Type 2 charging station where I live are never beyond 32A, so I suppose that cable I linked will do.

Back