paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Re: Electrify America Network

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:08 am

GRA wrote:
paulgipe wrote:Guy, yes substantially underway would be met. Kiosks are in, transformers maybe not. Two weeks to go to see if they will meet the end of June deadline.

Paul

Paul, when you say the Pismo Beach site has been removed from Plugshare, do you mean someone showed it as open? Because I see it showing as under construction, "Coming soon" on Plugshare. Both Madera and Selma are shown as open on PS, even though they aren't according to EA, and no one has recorded a check-in saying they're operational.

Yes, Pismo Beach is back up on PlugShare as coming soon. Last I looked it had disappeared. ;)

Their Bakersfield station is also still showing as coming soon.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

GRA

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Three sites are open, making 12 for the month and 211 total: Hood River, OR (I-84); Bedford, PA (Jct. I-70/76/99); Durham, NC (Urb., Jct. I-85/S.R. 86. [Update: "Durham" has been renamed "Hillsborough", location unchanged.

Hood river shortens the 182 mile I-84 leg between downtown Portland and Hermiston from 182 miles to legs of 61 and 121 miles.

Bedford makes it possible with extreme care to drive I-70 & 76 the 190 miles between Cambridge, OH and Bedford, and then on to WDC/Baltimore via Hagerstown. There was a site listed as "Coming soon" in between those two at the junction of I-70 and S.R. 51 in PA, but that has disappeared from EA's "Coming soon" map; presumably at least one site will be added to shorten the leg. There is a "Coming soon" site further north on S.R. 51 in Vernon, PA, just south of Pittsburgh, but that involves a bit of a detour.

From Hillsborough it's possible to reach Wytheville (159 miles), as well as several sites in NC and SC to the NE and S.
Last edited by GRA on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Hartsdale, NY (Urb., S.R. 100 S. of I-287, W. of White Plains) is open, #13 for the month and #212 total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 pm

paulgipe wrote:Guy,

Two sites under construction on US 395 on the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. Put up on Plugshare by Geo: Coso Junction and Bishop.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/190894
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186193

The site in Bakersfield will be delayed for several weeks if not more.

Paul

Updates on the 395/14 corridor for anyone curious - it looks like Coso Junction is getting close, per photos someone posted on plugshare.
It looks like they are installing either 7 CCS and 1 Chademo or 9 CCS and 1 Chademo from the photos.

Other locations also seem to include Mojave and Bishop and further north Bridgeport on the 395/14 corridor.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

GRA

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Covington, WA (Jct. S.R. 18/516) is open, #14 for the month and #213 total. Oddly, it's listed without a CHAdeMO, just 3 CCS and 1 L2.

^^^Glad to see Mojave pop up, as it's definitely wanted between Bakersfield and Barstow, and more importantly between LA and Coso Junction, as that's 161 or 169 miles with climbing; Mojave reduces that to legs of 95 and 76 miles. Now they'll have both 14 and 395 (Hesperia) covered, although one at Kramer Junction or Inyokern wouldn't hurt. I like that they're color coding the CHAdeMO connector, although it would probably be better if the entire structure holding the connector had some such coding.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Steep tariff for an EV that starts at over 75 kW.
For my Model 3 it will work out to ~ 45 cents a kWh averaged over a charging session

Definitely an emergency option only
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

danrjones

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 am

GRA wrote:Covington, WA (Jct. S.R. 18/516) is open, #14 for the month and #213 total. Oddly, it's listed without a CHAdeMO, just 3 CCS and 1 L2.

^^^Glad to see Mojave pop up, as it's definitely wanted between Bakersfield and Barstow, and more importantly between LA and Coso Junction, as that's 161 or 169 miles with climbing; Mojave reduces that to legs of 95 and 76 miles. Now they'll have both 14 and 395 (Hesperia) covered, although one at Kramer Junction or Inyokern wouldn't hurt. I like that they're color coding the CHAdeMO connector, although it would probably be better if the entire structure holding the connector had some such coding.

Kramer Junction would be a good spot as it would catch north south traffic on 395 and east-west traffic on 58.

I agree Inyokern or Ridgecrest would also be nice for folks. Tesla chose Inyokern next to Classic Burgers; Ridgecrest would be a couple miles off the path but with more selection of "stuff". Wouldn't help me since i live there!

Lone Pine would be nice as another option as Coso Junction is still too close to where I am, but it probably works well for most traffic. Lone Pine would be much nicer stop though.

paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am

danrjones wrote:
GRA wrote:Covington, WA (Jct. S.R. 18/516) is open, #14 for the month and #213 total. Oddly, it's listed without a CHAdeMO, just 3 CCS and 1 L2.

Kramer Junction would be a good spot as it would catch north south traffic on 395 and east-west traffic on 58.

I agree Inyokern or Ridgecrest would also be nice for folks. Tesla chose Inyokern next to Classic Burgers; Ridgecrest would be a couple miles off the path but with more selection of "stuff". Wouldn't help me since i live there!

Lone Pine would be nice as another option as Coso Junction is still too close to where I am, but it probably works well for most traffic. Lone Pine would be much nicer stop though.

Dan,

EV Connect has a CEC contract for a station at the Inyokern airport. There's no activity yet as of a few weeks ago according to Collin Burnell who went out there. ChargePoint has a CEC station contract for Robber's Roost. No action there yet either.

The CalTrans stations for Bishop, Independence, and Coso Junction likely won't be active until 2020 at their current pace. . .

I assume you're aware of a Kern County meeting in Ridgecrest about EV charging? If not, contact Linda Urata at Kern COG.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

danrjones

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Interesting, thank you.

Nothing for lone pine though?

GRA

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 pm

danrjones wrote:Interesting, thank you.

Nothing for lone pine though?

It would certainly be useful, especially for those of us coming down from Bishop to the Whitney area (or heading off to Death Valley), as the round trip from Bishop up to Whitney Portal and back's a bit far albeit doable. My ultimate wish list would be QCs in Bridgeport, Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine, Independence, Lone Pine, Olancha (the town itself, not Coso Junction), Inyokern, Mojave and Kramer Junction, plus Panamint Springs and Furnace Creek. There are gas stations in all of these, and QCs will need to be just as dense if BEVs are to offer anything approaching the flexibility and convenience of ICEs.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”