Checking EVSE Wiring for 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdhauser

Leaf Supporting Member
We're planing to purchase a 2018. Our current EVSE is one of the Blink units installed under the initiative of US DOT back in 2011. I'm not going to use the Blink unit, but I'd like to be sure that the circuit is robust. It's a 40 Amp circuit breaker (spans two slots) and produces 240v. The breaker says 10kA. Don't know what that means. Printed on the wire to the breaker is "Encore Wire Corp 8/2 W/G Type NM-B 600v (UL) 09/Dec/10 15:44 3933 4711 4607 60" .

I'm assuming the wiring is fine, but if someone who knows about such things could reply, I'd appreciate it.

A 40A breaker is appropriate for a 30A blink. It is good for up to 32A. The most a Leaf can draw is 27.5A so it should be fine for your EVSE. 32A is 80% of 40A and the most the NEC allows. Assuming there is enough current available the car's charger sets the current. If less is available it will match the available current.

If the 2018 is unchanged then it is 27.5A. The most non Tesla chargers draw is 30A. My old VW charged at 30A. My B charges at 40A due to its Tesla drive train.

You need a new 30A or 32A EVSE if you are replacing the Blink to get maximum charging capability from your branch circuit (40A circuit and breaker rating at 80% for continuous load is 32A maximum EVSE rating). I would not recommend using the Blink at 30A unless the J1772 plug has been replaced because they may have loose internal connections (see other threads regarding early Blink units). I never had a problem with Blink L2 public units charging the 2011 because it would only draw 18A at 208V. The 2015 will draw 30A at 208V (27A at 240V) and I have had the J1772 connectors get hot on a couple of Blink L2 public units.

GerryAZ said:
You need a new 30A or 32A EVSE if you are replacing the Blink to get maximum charging capability from your branch circuit (40A circuit and breaker rating at 80% for continuous load is 32A maximum EVSE rating). I would not recommend using the Blink at 30A unless the J1772 plug has been replaced because they may have loose internal connections (see other threads regarding early Blink units). I never had a problem with Blink L2 public units charging the 2011 because it would only draw 18A at 208V. The 2015 will draw 30A at 208V (27A at 240V) and I have had the J1772 connectors get hot on a couple of Blink L2 public units.

I have purchased a half dozen Blink cables on eBay. I soldered the crimp connections. All but one was perfect. The one clearly had problems. It was a real challenge to solder.

Blink set connected EVSE's to 24A to avoid overheating. Originally Leaf's charged at 16A and the Blink units were fine. If you have a Blink unit I recommend changing out the J1772 cable. Tucson EV has 30A cables for $125 and Quick Charge Power has 40A cables in several lengths. A 25ft cable is just over $200 shipped. The Quick Charge cables like the Tesla cables use paired L wires for a very small size. Otherwise the wires are #10 and is good for 32A. The Quick Charge cable uses paired #12 wires. That makes it good for 40A or less.

Back