EVSE Upgrade as Primary charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilkins

Just bought my Leaf (super pumped!), and have someone who is selling their upgraded factory EVSE for $100. It seems to good to be true, but I wanted to ask if there was any reason not to use this as my primary way to charge my Leaf?

Nothing inherent. Just don't unplug the EVSE after every use - leave it plugged in to the wall. And if you wouldn't mind changing "charger" in the title to "charging station"...?

Depends on what year EVSE it is. Newer ones can only be upgraded to 16a, of course, if you only have a 3.6kw Leaf charger that would be OK, otherwise, if you have the 6.6kw charger, you'll only be charging ~1/2 the speed you could. Nothing inherently wrong with using a EVSEupgrade permanently though, if you're OK with possible slower charging than max.

The lady I'm buying it from is moving to an apartment and can't use it anymore.

The model is the UN2R3M, so it sounds like its the high power one...does that sound right?

$100 for hers plus your non-upgraded one in exchange sounds very fair and if she doesn't want yours in exchange than that is a great deal.

no wait, that is a terrible deal.. tell us her number and we'll take it off your hands.. ha ha.

I have mine constantly plugged into a external outlet on my house. Charges my 2012 perfectly since I got in 2015. I don't know if the one you get is rated at a higher amps but mine is suitable for my car since it will only go to 3.3 kw anyway and the circuit breaker it is on is 20A so I have it set to 16A on the station.

Back