Any idea what it costs to charge at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IssacZachary

I'm making plans to go to Denver at the end of this month. I'm debating whether to take the 2013 Leaf or to rent a car or take the bus or just take the ol' 1985 VW Golf diesel.

• The Leaf will take a while to make the 480 mile round trip. I'll have to go about 40mph between here and Salida with fingers crossed in order to make it over the 11,312ft pass. After a free J1772 charge in Salida I'd have to charge in Cañon City at a campground for about $50 one night stay or $10 for a one time charge (and pay the same on the way back) plus the NEMA 15-40 EVSE that I don't have if I want to charge quickly. Then when I hit Colorado Springs it looks like there are Wal-Marts with CHAdeMO chargers all the way up into Denver. :)
  • Car rental is going to be +$300 plus fuel for the week. :(
  • Bus for my wife and I is $140 total for two tickets there and back. But then comes the problem of transporting ourselves around Denver and Aurora. Where I need to go the local bus doesn't. We'd have to do a lot of walking and take several buses to get around costing us a lot of time. So I guess we'd have to take a taxi to be practical, which wouldn't be easy on the wallet. :shock:
  • The ol' diesel Golf would be the cheapest option at 55mpg. Of course we also would not have any air conditioning or air bags and the people behind us wouldn't have any air to breath. :roll:

But I have no idea what to expect at a CHAdeMO station at a Wal-Mart. I've never charged at any CHAdeMO station ever before. I've heard they can be very expensive. I don't exactly want to pay $50 at each CHAdeMO charge station to make it clear up close to Commerce City. At that rate it would be cheaper to just rent a car.

Have you checked Plugshare? We have 2 at a local Walmart and they're EVgo. With no monthly fee, flex plan at https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/ means $4.95 to start a session + 20 cents/minute.

With rates like that (and Blink's 59 cents/kWh to DC FC for members), that's why I didn't bother paying a $1K to $1.5K premium for a car w/QC + LED package (at the time) when shopping for a used '13 Leaf. Much cheaper to fuel and less painful to use my Prius instead.

Thanks! I had gone to the EVgo website but hadn't understood it until now.

So $4.95 + .20 x 30 = $10.95 per charge.

So that's around $44 for just the CHAdeMO part of the trip and about $64 dollars for the whole trip plus any EVSE I might need to buy or modify or any hotel/campground fees. :( But I guess that's not too terribly bad though. :geek:

Unless you compare it to about $25 in diesel... :|

Still, I haven't decided yet, but I might just try this trip in the Leaf.

IssacZachary said:
cwerdna said:
Have you checked Plugshare?
Plugshare doesn't have any price info. But now I understand the EVgo website info. Thanks!
Well, sometimes, people/providers do add pricing into on Plugshare. But failing that, one sometimes can determine who the charging network/provider is to then find out the price.
IssacZachary said:
There is also a Nissan Dealer in Colorado Springs. Any idea what they'd charge?
Does it say if their DC FC networked and who their provider is, if any? Many of the dealer ones went from free (and non-networked) to being on EVgo due to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15867.

cwerdna said:
IssacZachary said:
There is also a Nissan Dealer in Colorado Springs. Any idea what they'd charge?
Does it say if their DC FC networked and who their provider is, if any? Many of the dealer ones went from free (and non-networked) to being on EVgo due to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15867.
I can't see any information on network or price on Plugshare. Just "Wall Outlet (120V), EV Plug (J1772), CHAdeMO DCFC, CCS DCFC" and it's got a 10.0 Plugshare rating with a ton of positive reviews. There looks like there is some sort of "e" with an arrow on it on the CHAdeMO/CCS charger in the picture.

I just looked at routes from Gunnison to Denver and I strongly recommend against trying to make it with the Leaf. Several of the DCQC units were reported as not working on Plugshare. It looks like the ones at the Walmarts on your route are EVgo and they are reported as working good.

The membership I have with EVgo does not have a monthly fee so I pay more for each charge. I made several trips across town here in Phoenix the past month so have been hitting QC units frequently. It costs me about $8.00 for a 30-minute charge at an EVgo unit. The Blink units are a little cheaper, but a lot of them in the Phoenix area are out of service needing repairs. I try to have at least two units within range in case one is not working. I don't mind paying the fees because it helps support the QC infrastructure, but I will change vehicles to go across town if availability of charging is questionable.

So the question is do you want to do a 300 mile trip in a leaf? if you are up for the adventure, your route is a challenge. do you have leaf spy and what is the KWH of your battery when full? the 4500 feet up and down is a killer, have you driven that before? What are the miles for each leg and Alt change for each leg? So I have Gunnison at 7500 feet the pass at 11300 feet then down to Salida at 7100 feet. the Gunnison to Salida is about 65 miles? that is a hard leg. Is their a way you can charge at Monarch? the up and down is 3.375 kwh of power then at 55 mph at 4.3miles per KHW it is like 15.11+3.375=18.5 KWH that is tight for 2013 leaf ?

speedski97 said:
So the question is do you want to do a 300 mile trip in a leaf? if you are up for the adventure, your route is a challenge. do you have leaf spy and what is the KWH of your battery when full? the 4500 feet up and down is a killer, have you driven that before? What are the miles for each leg and Alt change for each leg? So I have Gunnison at 7500 feet the pass at 11300 feet then down to Salida at 7100 feet. the Gunnison to Salida is about 65 miles? that is a hard leg. Is their a way you can charge at Monarch? the up and down is 3.375 kwh of power then at 55 mph at 4.3miles per KHW it is like 15.11+3.375=18.5 KWH that is tight for 2013 leaf ?
Yes, that would be the hardest leg, the one between Gunnison and Salida. I've driven from Montrose to Gunnison and that is also about 65 miles but with about a 1,856ft total increase in altitude (about 6,000ft ascent total and close to 4,000ft decent total), so I figure I can make it to Salida if I take it very easy, going 40mph or less, until the top of the pass. There is no way I can charge at Monarch or anywhere between Gunnison and Salida that I know of.

No, I don't have Leaf Spy. I should get it. All I know is that I just lost a capacity bar and am now at 11 bars. I need to get an Android or Apple device to do it.

Salida to Cañon City is also about 60 miles with a 1,700ft decent there and ascent back. So I'll have to creep back there too. From Cañon City to Colorado Springs it's about 45 miles with a 700ft difference. From Colorad Springs to the destination it's about 75 miles with a 700ft difference, but with CHAdeMO stations along the way that I'd like to count on.

A shorter route would be through Leadville, the highest town in Colorado, and would only include level 2 charging. I'd have to stop in Buena Vista, only 24 miles with a 900ft ascent. Tthen from there to Leadville, Almost 2,200ft up, but only 35 miles. Then from there it's 30 miles into Frisco after a 2,000ft drop. From Frisco to Idaho Springs it's about 40 miles, but with another huge change in altitude up through the Eisenhower tunnel and back down. The change is similar to going from Gunnison to Salida, but the distance is shorter. From Idaho Springs to Denver it's about 30 miles to the next charging station, but not without a lot of change in elevation once again.

if this is your first trip in a leaf it would take a bit of planning. do you have a L2 EVES that has a plug? Leadville looks safer just slower, at 6.6 kw charging ,that helps. Monarch Mountain would not help with some power? that would help on the hill. leadville then out to copper MT . looks like 5 L2 charges. slow trip if you want .

There are L2 and L3 chargers at all the front range Nissan dealers in CO. Free. Free tea and restrooms if they are open too. Once you hit Denver or Colorado Springs, you'd be set.

We did the drive from Vail back to Golden. L2 chargers in Frisco at Whole Foods. Grocerys, bathrooms, and a brewery all right there. Going over Eisenhower (Frisco to Idaho Springs is easy. We used 30% going up, gained 5% coming down. Don't forget you get to coast most of the way back to Denver. Depending on where you go in Denver, going on Highway 6 to Golden is totally flat/downhill, no hills like on 70, so that might help too. But you shouldn't need it. You can charge in Idaho Springs if needed, but you shouldn't need to. (you do going west though!)

Some chademo's are $10 for 30min, or until the car is full, whichever is sooner. Of note, every chademo I've found.... has always had a free L2 next to it. I haven't tried a walmart yet, but I've seen a dozen that are just a free L2 - don't even need a card to start.

We always have the L1 charger in the car too and a 50 or 100' extension cord. There are normal outlets all over this world. You can usually find something on a telephone pole, or the back side of the gas station, or the gas station bathroom at 2am, etc. Sometimes all you need is 5 or 10%. Not full. Think about it.

If you're up for the adventure, go for it! Sounds awesome.

Campgrounds can be a good plan B if you have an upgraded L2 mobile EVSE and a couple of adapters.

sendmeonmyway said:
We did the drive from Vail back to Golden. L2 chargers in Frisco at Whole Foods.

Have you ever done Golden to Vail without stopping at Idaho Springs? If so, what was your charge at the Eisenhower Tunnel?

I've been meaning to visit the Silverthorne outlets, and *think* I can do it on a single charge, charging in Frisco, but I'm gathering data points.

speedski97 said:
do you have a L2 EVES that has a plug?
Nope. I'm hoping to get enough charge with L1 with the stock "trickle charging" EVSE.
speedski97 said:
Leadville Monarch Mountain would not help with some power?
Nope. It's blocked off with a barricade.
sendmeonmyway said:
There are L2 and L3 chargers at all the front range Nissan dealers in CO. Free. Free tea and restrooms if they are open too. Once you hit Denver or Colorado Springs, you'd be set.
Awesome! That's what PlugShare seems to indicate too!
sendmeonmyway said:
Sometimes all you need is 5 or 10%. Not full. Think about it.
Yep. I realize that. Also I figure that if I can charge to just 80% on L2 or L3 I can avoid the slower charging near 90% and get there quicker even if I have to make more stops.

The plan is to creep up Monarch Pass and make it down to Salida and charge there. Then I have a reservation at the Echo Canyon campground in Cañon City where I'll charge over night. Next stop is Colorado Springs where I'll see about hitting one of the free CHAdeMO's at a Nissan Dealer. Next I'll do another CHAdeMO at a Wal-Mart before reaching Denver.

On the way back I'll drive into Idaho Springs after charging up near the Colorado Mills mall. Then I'm thinking of camping near Frisco. If I charge up at Copper Mountain I could have enough to make it into Buena Vista if I can't charge in Leadville. Then it's Salida and then back over the hill.

remarquian said:
sendmeonmyway said:
We did the drive from Vail back to Golden. L2 chargers in Frisco at Whole Foods.

Have you ever done Golden to Vail without stopping at Idaho Springs? If so, what was your charge at the Eisenhower Tunnel?

I've been meaning to visit the Silverthorne outlets, and *think* I can do it on a single charge, charging in Frisco, but I'm gathering data points.
Seeing how it's a 3,500ft average increase in altitude from Golden to Frisco it's not going to be easy without charging in Idaho Springs or owning a new 30kWh Leaf. EV Trip Planner estimates you'll use 23.3kWh without A/C or a load of any sort.

https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-8/?id=bumpu35o

Good luck with your drive! In COS, the charger at the southern Nissan area is pretty far off the interstate and it is also uphill. Very slight but the town slopes from lowest in the South to highest in the North. I can drive the entire city on the interstate North to South (downhill) and use barely 10%. The other way, South to North, takes 30%+ at the same highway speeds. The one at the Woodmen Nissan dealership can be seen literally from the highway but is sometimes (usually in my experience) ICEd during the day but the service people will move the car if they can. At night (post 9pm after the dealership salesmen leave) that spot is usually open.

2k1Toaster said:
Good luck with your drive! In COS, the charger at the southern Nissan area is pretty far off the interstate and it is also uphill. Very slight but the town slopes from lowest in the South to highest in the North. I can drive the entire city on the interstate North to South (downhill) and use barely 10%. The other way, South to North, takes 30%+ at the same highway speeds. The one at the Woodmen Nissan dealership can be seen literally from the highway but is sometimes (usually in my experience) ICEd during the day but the service people will move the car if they can. At night (post 9pm after the dealership salesmen leave) that spot is usually open.
Thanks! I'll keep all that in mind!

I just realized something. I don't have an EVgo account or card. But they do accept credit cards according to PlugShare. I hope that's correct since after Colorado Springs I'll probably have to make a stop in Castle Rock at an EVgo station. They also say it would take 5 business days to get one and a $4.95 processing fee. Basically I'd need it in two business days. So hopefully the credit card will work.

(The following is a rant and rave. Read at your own risk!)
Which does bring up one thing I don't particularly like about the charging infrastructure. It seems the idea of cash or credit cards is virtually nonexistent. It seems to me that everywhere I go I have to both try fairly hard to figure out where the charging stations are that I can make it to and then apply for an RFID card for each charging station and then wait for those to arrive at my house. Not only that, but each card can only be "topped off" in sums of $20 or $25. So if I need to use it once, perhaps even at a free station, I end up paying $25 with no knowledge of if I'll ever use up the rest in the future. I got cards for ChargePoint, Greenlots and SemaConnect back when I first got my car. So far I have only used the ChargePoint card once to get a free station to let me charge; that was in Palisade. I just accessed my accounts associated with each card to make sure the cards are all activated and the payment info was correct. The SemaConnect wasn't activated but their customer service was very quick to help me with the situation. I know I'll need the ChargePoint card at E-470 and I-70 and at Copper Mountain. In Aurora I'm probably going to have to use the SemaConnect card at a Walgreens on at least one day of my planned trip. And now I'm wondering if I should have gotten an EVgo card as well. Oh well, I'll just have to make do with what I've got.

Back