Blink EVSE for Sale, Portland, OR area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Tiki2

I'm selling my Blink EVSE in excellent condition. It was used until recently with my 2015 SL. I removed it in working condition to make room for my new OberCharger, which gives me a "free" additional receptacle for my power tools in my garage.

The Blink was mounted indoors and charged the SL with up to 6.6kW. It has a nice color display and can easily be programmed to use off-peak power only. Has a "charge now" override button. It keeps track of you charging costs as well. Never had any problems with it. Comes with a cable holder.

The system was hard-wired to a dedicated circuit at my distribution panel. I can add a NEMA plug/cable if desired to connect to a 10/30 or 14/30 receptacle. You may also buy my OberSwitcher to share an existing dryer wall outlet with automatic charging when the dryer is not running.

I'm selling the Blink EVSE for $750 and the optional power switcher for $250.
This combo works great in older houses with limited power. When you have an electric laundry dryer, you can charge your car without paying hundreds of dollars for installation or upgraded electrical service..

Please check the Portland Craigslist for more info.

Due to size and weight local pick-up only. I can help with installation.

I haven't heard of "Obercharger", and Google's not helping. Do you have a link?

I don't think $750 for a used EVSE is realistic, but that's up to you.

@cwerdna: I found his ad on Craigslist. It's the classic Blink:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/6038567118.html

(I say "classic"... many will have other words for it.)

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the Blink EVSE, I saw similar units on Craigslist for about the same price but I'm open for negotiations.

Ober-EV.com provides some info on their systems. These are built in Germany by a small company focussing on fast charging the Renault ZOE with 3-phase AC with up to 20kW. The OBER products are modified for the US market (single phase only). Key feature is a proprietary automatic load transfer relay that allows sharing a dryer connection without overburdening your power panel - only one high power user is run at a time. I have one since December and it works great, that why the Blink needs to go. My neighbor just got one and is very happy with it.

That price is really out of line, especially since on amazon the Blink is $629... You need to LET GO of the expectation that you can use things for free by selling used things at the same price you paid for new....

powersurge said:
That price is really out of line, especially since on amazon the Blink is $629... You need to LET GO of the expectation that you can use things for free by selling used things at the same price you paid for new....
I'd imagine he paid a lot more than the current asking price. I find I do better when I don't assume, but maybe you are right and he did pay that much for it.

4Tiki2, you should check out the whole sub-forum devoted to Blink: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=43

Personally, I think the "classic" Blink has some unique pros and cons:

Pros:
Style -- snazzy black and white design.
Historical value -- one of the first widely-used J1772-2009 EVSEs.
Fancy control display -- pretty much no other home EVSE has one as nice, unless via a phone app.

Cons:
Huge, heavy.
Kludgy internals.
Bad reputation for reliability and safety.

for anyone else coming across this thread and looking for pricing of a used home Blink EVSE

1. many of us - myself included - received this (and the install) for free as part of a federal government study in 2011. Receiving money reselling is all bonus for those that fall into that camp. I would personally be surprised if anyone purchased one when competitive products on the market back in 2011-12 were much cheaper.

2. the evse has a history of issues charging at the newer higher amps >16. Reports of melted plugs on the end of the cables. I set mine to charge at 16 amps when I replaced my primary EV to a Bolt to make sure I wouldn't encounter this issue. There are after market cables (Quick Charge Power is a good one) out there that you might consider using to replace the cable that came with the EVSE.

3. Blink has no warranty on these anymore

All that said - I have had mine for 7 years and it has worked very well. it supports timed charging and has a decent interface. My networking stopped working a few years ago so remote access doesn't work but I never used it much anyway.

If you want to sell it for $250 shipped to Southern California let me know. I build OpenEVSE units and in this market $750 is a laugh. Times have really changed. I remember ny first J1772 cable was $340 plus shipping,.

Brand new, warrantied Clipper Creeks with perhaps the best in industry reliability and support start at $379 for 16 Amps

I would only want it to see what Blink is all about. It seems like the poster is in love with his unit. For my 2012 Leaf I spent $1000 for a Leviton 16A unit. It was replaced with an OpenEVSE unit and I sold it for $700.

4Tiki2 said:
The system was hard-wired to a dedicated circuit at my distribution panel. I can add a NEMA plug/cable if desired to connect to a 10/30 or 14/30 receptacle. You may also buy my OberSwitcher to share an existing dryer wall outlet with automatic charging when the dryer is not running.
Due to size and weight local pick-up only. I can help with installation.
I will not directly comment on the price as people can make their own judgments, but as a long time owner, I can give a little more info.

I have had one since 2011 and it is certainly functional although it's a big beast. You can manage it through the on-screen interface, over the local network from a browser, or through an account at http://www.blinknetwork.com using either the ethernet port (recommended) or over WiFi. It logs all usage to your account and I can still access all my charging records going back to 2011. Blink would need to cooperate with transferring the unit to the new owner's account for the cloud functions to work properly.

Just for clarification, that unit technically requires a 40a circuit and charges at 30a. However, all of the units were remotely set to 16a by Blink because the handles had a tendency to melt when used at 30a (something that wasn't discovered for a few years as all the initial owners had LEAFs or Volts that only charged at 16a). There's a hidden menu that will let you override and set the amperage (under <= 30a). I replaced the cable and handle on mine several years ago, so I've confidently set mine back to 30a. Since the seller said he's charging at 6.6kW, he's obviously set his higher than 16a, too.

Here's a link the Owner's manual: http://www.blinknetwork.com/file/296/om0001

It i my understanding that they were set for 24A. In any event they were downgraded from the rated 30A.

As I earlier stated, I have never seen a Blink in the wild. I have purchased around a half dozen J1772 cables, though from eBay. They have such a bad reputation that I purchase them for under $100 shipped. the last one was $80 including shipping. I repair them and use them on OpenEVSE units that I build. You can get new 30A cables from Rush at TusonEV for $125 plus shipping. He also has 40A cables for the few that need 40A. 30A works for everyone that does not have a Tesla derived car.

In general prices have come down a lot. They had to since originally they were a lot of money.

Back