Is there any advantage to a 24 amp vs 16 amp EVSE on 30 amp circuit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceMH

I have a 30 amp circuit and trying to decide between the EVSE upgrade that uses 16 amps or the Clipper Creek LCS-30P that uses 24 amps. Since the LEAF will use the 3.3kw charger for both, is there any advantage to the 24 amp unit?

With the 3.3 kW Leaf (pre 2013 models, and non-QC Leaf S), you will see no difference. But, unless you're sure that your next EV/PHEV will have a similarly slow charger, you should spend a bit more and install the largest EVSE that your existing service can handle, in your case a 24 amp unit.

The only advantage to EVSE Upgrade is the ability to plug into different outlets using an appropriate adapter. But if you don't plan on traveling outside of areas with public EVSEs then it's not an issue.

Forgot to mention, I have a 2014 LEAF. From what I understand, the 6.6kw charger won't kick in until the power supply is 32 amps, correct?

VinceMH said:
Forgot to mention, I have a 2014 LEAF. From what I understand, the 6.6kw charger won't kick in until the power supply is 32 amps, correct?
Does your '14 have the 6.6kw charger? not all do, specifically S models that lack the charger package.
Assuming yours does then your Leaf will use as much power as you give it, up to 27.5a. If your EVSE outputs 16a thats what the Leaf will draw, if your EVSE is 20a again the Leaf will draw 20a, 24a EVSE the car will draw 24a, 30a it will draw 27.5a, 40a it will draw 27.5a. In other words it will never draw more than 27.5a but will also never draw more than your EVSE is rated for. Of course your car can also draw less than 27.5a if it wants, most notably as it approaches almost being charged, it will gradually dial down the charge rate.
WIth a 30a circuit you don't want a EVSE that will output more than 24a(80% of 30a) or get a EVSE where you can set maximum output to 24a, in which case your 27.5a Leaf will only draw a maximum of 24a.

jjeff said:
VinceMH said:
Does your '14 have the 6.6kw charger? not all do, specifically S models that lack the charger package.
Assuming yours does then your Leaf will use as much power as you give it, up to 27.5a. If your EVSE outputs 16a thats what the Leaf will draw, if your EVSE is 20a again the Leaf will draw 20a, 24a EVSE the car will draw 24a, 30a it will draw 27.5a, 40a it will draw 27.5a. In other words it will never draw more than 27.5a but will also never draw more than your EVSE is rated for. Of course your car can also draw less than 27.5a if it wants, most notably as it approaches almost being charged, it will gradually dial down the charge rate.
WIth a 30a circuit you don't want a EVSE that will output more than 24a(80% of 30a) or get a EVSE where you can set maximum output to 24a, in which case your 27.5a Leaf will only draw a maximum of 24a.

I have the SV with a 6.6kw charger. Great answer, thank you very much!!

jjeff said:
VinceMH said:

The Leaf follows the J1772 protocol. That means if given a 32A EVSE it will charge at the internal rate of 27.5A. If the pilot indicates 24A then it will set itself to 24A. If the pilot says 16A then that is what it will charge at.

I made and sold an OpenEVSE to a man using his 30A dryer outlet. The EVSE was set to 24A (80% of 30A) and it charged his 6.6K Leaf just fine. It would charge a 3.3K car just fine. The extra will be ignored.

One of my pet peeves is someone who buys a powerfully EVSE thinking it will charge the car faster. If more current is available the excess is ignored. My eGolf has a 30A internal charger. It charges just fine on the 40A EVSE that charged my Mercedes B but at 30A not 40A.

Back