Restomod Gas/oil pump to EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

co2112

So I finally bought a house which I will probably be at for a while. My wife and I enjoy cars motorcycles both vintage and modern. I have always wanted a mancave garage with car/motorcycle memorabilia and leading up to the garage I wanted a vintage style glass gas pump. Neon or lighted sign maybe. Something like a Sinclair Dino globe but instead of a gas pump hanging off the side I want a j1772 plug and cable.

Seems pretty straightforward. Route an RV style post with electrical up the center and mount the EVSE inside the pump on top of the post.

Looking for a 50a EVSE that would be small enough to handle this. I have seen some vintage dual pump stations from the 50's-70's that I could easily use but they wouldn't have the globe or glass I was hoping for. Would heat be an issue if the EVSE is not exposed to air? Would a fan be needed? Any ideas? Waste of time? Just have two a nonworking old style pump next to an EVSE instead?

You could easily do it with OpenEVSE parts and a Quick Charge Power 40A cable. You do realize that a 50A circuit is limited to 40A (80% of 50A).

The car takes what current it needs assuming there is enough and ignores the rest. Only Tesla and Tesla based cars draw over 30A. The rest are 30A or less. The J1772 specification lets the car draw the current it needs while ignoring the rest. My Mercedes B charged at 40A. The same OpenEVSE unit charges my eGolf at 30A and the car ignores the extra 10A.

Yes, I was referring to the 50 amp circuit and 40 amp evse. How hot does the OpenEVSE get? Would the pump need to be vented or could it be passively cooled?

The units I build have oversized contactors so they do not get hot. The RGB display has a temperature corrected real time clock and Craig Peterson figured out how to read it out. Lincomatic incorporated it into the main code. Thus if it gets too hot the current is backed off.

The actual OpenEVSE board runs very cool. It only draws around 2W. It depends on how hot the relays get.

The JuiceBox uses a Chinese relay rated at 80A but at that current level it is over 85 degrees C. At half current it just runs warm and I like using it.

The OpenEVSE ver 4 board can drive a 12V relay or a 240V contactor with a built in driver. A while back someone dumped some Siemans 63A 240V coil contactors on eBay for around $10 so that is what I use. They run stone cold at 40A.

eBay also has the 80A 12V relays for around $15 shipped from China. I use them when I need L1 and L2 since the coil is 12V DC.

Back