Shortening cable on Clipper Creek?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyMutt64A

Is it possible to shorten the cable on a Clipper Creek EVSE, or any of the others on the market? I'll be mounting it maybe 10 ft at most from the front of the car. Having all the extra cable will be a major annoyance.

I don't have experience shortening one, but I recommend AGAINST it for one reason: you never know where the charging port will be on your next BEV/PHEV.

When I had my Clipper Creek LCS-25 installed, I had it put on the back wall of my garage. It's not the closest spot to my panel, but it was the closest spot to where the charging port was on my Leaf when it was in the garage. I would keep the cord wrapped around the EVSE (it's designed for that) and when I needed to charge I would just unroll about 3 feet of the cord. The excess easily stays out of the way. (Note: the next photo is not my installation, but is one I found off Google to show what I am talking about.)

Customer-Installation-of-HCS-40-EV-Charging-Station-Leonard-3-1000x675.jpg

Fast forward a couple of years, and now I have a VW eGolf instead. Its charging port is on the right rear quarter panel, same as the gasoline/diesel filling port on the ICEV versions. So now I have to use the entire length of cord to reach the charging port, unless I back into the garage which isn't as convenient.

As I mentioned above, the Clipper Creek consumer units are designed to have the cord wrapped around them for storage. If you buy an EVSE where this isn't possible, just buy a hanger designed for storing your garden hose; I'd recommend getting a plastic one.

China_Garden_Hose_Pipe_Holder200911271359420.jpg

It's not a requirement, but for neatness I also got a dummy J1772 port so I can keep the charging handle neatly stowed as well:

31nYjlcHR1L._SX466_.jpg

Staque said:
A coil and a few zip ties should shorten it.
If you do that, ideally the cable shouldn't touch itself where it's coiled up. If the charging cable does overlap it has the possibility to get warm or overheat during full amperage charging.

jjeff said:
If you do that, ideally the cable shouldn't touch itself where it's coiled up. If the charging cable does overlap it has the possibility to get warm or overheat during full amperage charging.
28A is nowhere near enough to overheat that cable coiled up, even in direct sunlight. This is a non issue.

I've never had an issue with my EVSE's cord getting hot in the 2+ years I used it with my Leaf, but then again I don't coil it up tightly.

cwerdna said:
RonDawg said:
I recommend AGAINST it for one reason: you never know where the charging port will be on your next BEV/PHEV.
Totally agree.

I agree. To avoid backing in on my leafs I used a 24 foot cord. The EVSE is near the garage door.

On my Mercedes I could have used a five foot cord.

I need around eighteen feet of my twenty foot cord to charge my eGolf. If I had shortened the cable I would have to replace it with a longer one.

ClipperCreek sells a 'cable cradle' that can be mounted closer to the car to keep the cable wrapped up. I use it in my garage and it works perfectly; it's plenty sturdy to hold the charging cable. https://store.clippercreek.com/accessories/ev-charging-cable-hanger-cable-cradle

clipper creek has one the best customer service departments of any American company.. bar none.

while the obvious answer is this : " hang the unused cord on the hook..and just take down what you need"

a quick call to CC will surely get you the answer you need.

I will tell you this.. any decent electrician should be able to open your evse.. remove the cord, cut it to length
and re-attach it. if you care about your warranty .. don't.

Call CC first.
bet you could send it to them let them do it..

don't mess with the connector end ! :lol:

Keep in mind any modification will likely void the EVSE's warranty, 3 years in the case of Clipper Creek.

There are things in life that we need to worry about and correct.... Having more charging cable than you need is not one of them...

I am sure there are a lot more annoying things you can find..

Back