Portable Chademo?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0123

While looking around online at ev chargers, I stumbled onto a listing at Alibaba for a 10kw portable charger that takes a 220 and allows you to use Chademo to charge at 10kw. Am I reading this correctly or missing something in what they're offering?

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60481984905/10KW-20A-Portable-CHAdeMO-Charger.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.14.B50l2d

Or

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60425474403/10KW-unit-portable-quick-AC-to/specifications.html?spm=a2706.7835515.1998800312.9.PZvw5L

Who's going to order one and try it out?

HTB1UZJNMpXXXXaAXpXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

HTB1YuryJVXXXXbsXXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

I like the blue hot wires feeding out of a bush.

It costs USD$3,500 for one of these puppies. Group buy > 4 units is USD$3,000 a piece.

A bit too expensive IMHO.

mxp said:
It costs USD$3,500 for one of these puppies. Group buy > 4 units is USD$3,000 a piece.

I'm curious in the tech behind it. If China has a bunch of these coming out, I'd imagine it would come down in price. The ability to avoid buying a Bursa/aftermarket charger to increase charge speeds by having a suitcase sized Chademo is interesting.

I have personally tested this unit on my 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV (with JdeMO). Yes, it physically worked.

1) Poor quality
2) Questionable durability
3) I do not find this unit to be CHAdeMO compliant, as I saw no insulation / isolation test. There may be other shortcomings.

Caveat emptor.

There is another low cost unit from China that I did like. I think it is about $6000, and slightly bigger, and uses a RFID card to operate it. It's not really portable, but neither is the other. Yes, you could haul it around.

mxp said:

I'd consider...wonder about the warranty claims to China... They are all wire transfer deals...

China is good and bad. Left alone they are junk. With supervision they turn out a quality product. You pay your money and you take your chances.

The bad thing is that you never know until you receive the first item. For example, Dostar J1772 cables work but the cable from Quick Charge Power is superior.

TonyWilliams said:
I have personally tested this unit on my 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV (with JdeMO). Yes, it physically worked.

1) Poor quality
2) Questionable durability
3) I do not find this unit to be CHAdeMO compliant, as I saw no insulation / isolation test. There may be other shortcomings.

Caveat emptor.

There is another low cost unit from China that I did like. I think it is about $6000, and slightly bigger, and uses a RFID card to operate it. It's not really portable, but neither is the other. Yes, you could haul it around.
Thinking out loud. Given these are more complicated than an EVSE, one wonders if there is any expectation that a home or business could opt for such a unit... A delivery service using LEAFs might benefit from one. A family with a couple of LEAFs and multiple users might... Wonder that the sweet spot is in a price point for that?

I have a full sized CHAdeMO charger on the side of my house, and it can be programmed all the way done to 60 amps DC (about 24kW in a 400 volt car). Still too much for my 200 amp panel at my house.

TonyWilliams said:
I have a full sized CHAdeMO charger on the side of my house, and it can be programmed all the way done to 60 amps DC (about 24kW in a 400 volt car). Still too much for my 200 amp panel at my house.
200 amps would support a 10KW fast charger, wouldn't it..presuming the house wasn't heavily electric (space heat, water, etc)? I really don't know... Asking. I do know that I am tempted at $3000 to be able to charge at will... At $1500-1700 I'd buy one.

JimSouCal said:
TonyWilliams said:
200 amps would support a 10KW fast charger, wouldn't it..presuming the house wasn't heavily electric (space heat, water, etc)? I really don't know... Asking. I do know that I am tempted at $3000 to be able to charge at will... At $1500-1700 I'd buy one.

JimSouCal said:
TonyWilliams said:

200 amps * 240 volts = 48kW

So, with everything off in the house, and a continuous load of 80%, you could pull about 38kW. So, yes, a 10kW charger is fine. I run two JESLAs at home (sometimes three) at 9.6kW each. I just charge from midnight to 5 am, when the electricity is less expensive, and the household loads are very small.

I do not recommend wasting $3000 on this piece of garbage.

TonyWilliams said:
I do not recommend wasting $3000 on this piece of garbage.
There we go... My point is perhaps a decent product would have a market... And it might have other functions, such as using the DC from the car to provide AC 120. Thanks for your succinct opinion...

TonyWilliams said:

Can you share more details? What brand is the charger? Input voltage? Single/3-phase? Price?

AntronX said:
TonyWilliams said:

Can you share more details? What brand is the charger? Input voltage? Single/3-phase? Price?

Nissan / Sumitomo

$8000

60 to 115 amps DC

44kW max

480v 3 phase / 70 amp

Thanks, is that the "new" box only price or used? I wonder how much it costs to install one of these "refrigerators with a firehose attached".

Keep in mind that unless you live in a warehouse or some type of commercial building, your not going to have 3-phase 480v power available to you :)

I could probably get a decent 10kW NOT PORTABLE charger for $5500. Yes, a normal man should be able to lift and carry it.

208-240 volt AC (household current)

Drop me a line if you're interested.

TonyWilliams said:
I could probably get a decent 10kW NOT PORTABLE charger for $5500...

Thanks, but I already have 2 Brusa NLG513-s waiting for me to install them in my Leaf, to get me 10kW charge power for <$1500. I am looking for something around 20kW to run on 100A 240V single phase. I looked at chargers made by Electway, but not sure about their quality. Do you know where I can buy real Chademo plug (not homemade/3d prined) ? Thinking to try roll my own charger.

I bought a CHAdeMO plug from Fujikura Japan which cost about $1000. Pretty good deal for a real, genuine CHAdeMO plug actually. Their website is http://www.fujikura.co.uk

Back