Juicebox Pro WIFI & 2016 Nissan Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nativeimages

I installed my juicebox pro.....240v.....2 hots & a ground...40 amp breaker...nema 14-50 receptacle.....for my 2016 Nissan leaf SL.....30Kw battery......6.6Kw charger......5.5 hr charge time.....works great.....110 mile round trip to work 4 times a week....55 miles one way.....slight decline driving to work......arrive at work....battery level 50 percent...charge 12 to 12.5 hrs with level one charger......battery level averages 90 percent charge upon my 55 mile return home commute.....I arrive home with an average of 30 to 20 percent battery......sometimes into the teens......Question......Should I deplete the battery level to zero once in a while to condition the Battery.......If so...How often.....I read somewhere that running the battery pack down to zero shortens the battery life span......and that always charging battery pack to 100 percent is also not good for prolonging the life span of the Nissan leaf battery pack....My charging habits have been charging to 90 percent 4 times a week with Level one charger at work....and charging to 100 percent 4 times a week at home....My work schedule is 4 days on...4 days off.....during my 4 days off....I use it for short errands....around town.....I'd say my Leaf is parked 2 to 2.5 days a week unused.....during my days off.....I just been leaving it plugged in.....cause the charger stops charging after reaching 100 percent....so any advice would be greatly appreciated.....Counting my blessings in Seattle.....Home of the Seahawks.....The Emerald City.....Peace.....

From everything I've read here it's not so much charging to 100% but the time left at 100%. So if your going to charge to 100% it's best to use your timer so it just gets to 100% about the time your going to leave. In your case since it sounds like you have some headroom I'd try and set your timer so maybe it's at 90-95% 3 times/week when you leave and maybe charge it to 100% just once/week to balance the cells. Note as your '16 ages your 110 mile trip may be harder to achieve on anything less than 100% to start with, time will tell. I'd really advise leaving your Leaf plugged in(and at 100%) for extended periods of time, at least for best battery longevity. If your Leaf had the option like mine, 80% and it stops charging, it wouldn't be as bad to leave it plugged in for long periods of time but I believe that option was only on the '13 Leafs. I enable it on mine 95% of the time, although I have nowhere near as long of a commute as you do, 80% sounds like it wouldn't work for you.
I also really like my Juicebox although I use my EVSEupgraded OEM charger almost all the time and only use my Juicebox for quick charges and it's the one I carry around in the car for emergencies since I can change the amps anywhere from 6-28A on either 120v or 240v, it's very versatile.

You're in MN so you should not have much degradation on your battery pack compared to warmer climates. When your battery is at 100% its actually really at something like 96%, and when its supposedly at 0%, its actually at something around 5%. It is bad on the battery to truly deplete it or fully charge it, so Nissan builds in a buffer on both ends. Honestly, what you're doing is probably fine for the life of the battery. You are cycling through it pretty well each day and charging it to 100% in the morning before you leave. The only thing that you want to avoid is leaving it fully charged for long periods of time, especially in warmer weather and also want to avoid topping it off when it is at a high state of charge 70%+. I suppose that one could make an argument that L1 charging at work would raise the temp of the battery slightly for a longer period of time compared to L2 charging, but I wouldn't worry much.

tkdbrusco said:
You're in MN so you should not have much degradation on your battery pack compared to warmer climates. ....
Actually the OP is in SEA but I'm guessing that while SEA doesn't get as cold as MN it also doesn't get all that hot either. I just got LeafSpy Lite hooked up this weekend and after almost 2 years and 18k miles my battery reads 92% SOH. Not sure how that compares to others but I'm pretty happy.

I am a prospective Leaf buyer (most likely 30KWh 108 miles range model) and have a similar commute as described by Nativeimages:

102 mile round trip to work/ 4 times a week
charge overnight in my garage
51 miles one way
recharge with L1 or L2 8 to 9 hours ( my employer might install an L2 charger)
I WORK IN COLORADO AND WHILE I RE-CHARGE AT WORK IT'LL BE VERY HOT IN THE SUMMER. CAR WILL NOT IN THE SHADE.
51 miles one way back home

Because of the long commute I will need to charge at work ALWAYS including in Colorado summer heat. Does anyone have any data about battery degradation or any other issues that might possibly be caused by charging in the heat? Should I make a case for getting EV parking in the shade? This might be a tough ask for management.

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with charging in the heat. Definitely take 30kWh battery.
Also you NEED at least L1 charging possibility at work.
On highway it is up to 100 mile vehicle. Little less in cold weather (take the HEAT PUMP for cold temperatures).
I wouldn't charge above 80% at work. And wouldn't discharge below 20%. This will keep temperatures lower in summer.
New Leaf battery is more durable in 80F weather and has much better warranty.

You made this post in some weird topic you know :lol:

Back