J1772 Adapter Box, Plugs and Inlets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rush, what you are missing is, well, the "rest" of the EVSE, a cable and plug alone do NOT make a EVSE. Where is your "EVSE kit", which would have in it the relay, J-1772 pilot signal generator, and control logic.

Nice that you have these parts, but they are not a substitue for an EVSE, and will only help if someone had an older mini-e EVSE that you want to changeover to J-1772, or you have a homebrew EV and want to change it over to a J-1772 inlet, for example.

This box is so that non-J1772 electric vehicles can plug into J1772 EVSEs.

Just some resistors in place so the EVSE thinks an appropriate vehicle is connected and then turns on the juice! The price isn't bad though considering the cost of the raw J1772 inlet.

I know what these parts are. None of this is going to help any Leaf owner, unless they want to build their own J-1772 EVSE, and for that, many parts are still missing. "Rush" has posted this in at least 3 threads now, none of these parts apply to the average Leaf owner

The EVSE is more than just the connector and cable.

You can't just connect that to a 240VAC 40A circuit and have a working EVSE, you need to be able to deengergize the cable with a relay, you need go be able to generate the pilot signal for the EV, and you need to have a GFI circuit as well.

You have parts, and that's all they are, it takes more than parts to have a working, UL listed, J-1772 compliant EVSE.

Let us know when you have a full EVSE kit, I'm sure we'll be interested
in that.

Rush said:
"mitch672" has obvisouly not checked out the specs on the website or else he would have seen the description of the J1772 Adapter Box as Chris did.

By the way Chris, what do you think the 'raw price' of a J1772 inlet is, including, cost, shipping, customs etc? Don't forget that there is a junction box, a switch, a LED, strain relief, 3 ft of #8/3 wire, in addition to the "just some resistors" in my J1772 Adapter Box.

"mitch672" says "None of these is going to help any Leaf owner", I don't see how a J1772 plug that is energized can do anything but help a Leaf owner. There is no need to buy a "Charging Station". And as for the missing parts, the only thing that is missing is a junction box for the 220vac power lines of the J1772 Plug to hook up to. Certainly most of us can do that ourselves, or else know someone with enough electrical skill to do it for them, or using the $$ saved, can pay a qualified electrician to do it.

I'm sorry that I've created all this hassel, I thought that the J1772 stuff I have would be helpful. It's obvious that for some reason I seem to have tread on some toes... I'm not at all sure why, if it is because of my posting to 3 different threads, then I apologize if I have broken the Forum rules.

Rush
http://www.TucsonEV.com
http://www.TEVA2.com
SO just hardwire the cord to a240v in a J-box that sounds easy.
Will it pass city inspection like that? Any references?

True, this stuff is definitely not for the "average" LEAF owner; it's targeted toward the DIY geeks. "Average" owners, stay away :lol:

I'll double-post what I said in the first thread that I found this stuff:

But I think there's an opportunity here for some DIY-minded geeks. The J1772 plug (with which to charge the LEAF) could be added to a) /replace an existing non-J1772 EVSE cable (thinking Avcon); b) make your own Pilot signal controller+plug; c) existing mobile connector (think Tesla).

(Edit: Correction for clarification: when I say "non-J1772" I really should say "non-J1772-2009+" because the old Avcon was already J1772-1996 with a different head.)

I'm definitely not a DIYer. But what I'm looking for is something with a J1772 plug on one end and a NEMA 6-50 plug on the other end. Something I could use to plug into a 50A circuit at an RV park. Is it possible to make something like that?

sproqitman said:
I'm definitely not a DIYer. But what I'm looking for is something with a J1772 plug on one end and a NEMA 6-50 plug on the other end. Something I could use to plug into a 50A circuit at an RV park. Is it possible to make something like that?

you want a portable EVSE. you need additional circuitry to get that done, these are only parts. Anything is possible with knowledge and skill, but, no, these parts won't help without additional pilot signal generation circuitry, etc

read this for J-1772 specs

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQxQEwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fviewer%3Fa%3Dv%26q%3Dcache%3A-a8955EJCGQJ%3Awww.arb.ca.gov%2Fmsprog%2Fzevprog%2Fstakeholders%2Finfrastructure%2Ffinalsaej1772.doc%2Bj1772%2Bpilot%26hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26pid%3Dbl%26srcid%3DADGEESg3dSbENkFLS3gBcjYLL62ZPUn4cu_6J52cMdiSQMXjekyeXAL-qv-kprowHzeYP5qOVjjms-0H_P9bkEFZQ8YQWaAUO28DQ9udoMXcgIqvzQTtf0SnagTSEQvi32hDcRgPyCAQ%26sig%3DAHIEtbSfFykB9usc_jazzSdeLtwXglRJjg&ei=RoAWTfmZDYWglAfjg8C0DA&usg=AFQjCNH91Uu3YxS4cpNHh-BZOv7Bu3kJJg

PAGE 12 of the following PDF has a very clear diagram and partial schematic
http://portal.fciconnect.com/res/en/pdffiles/AutomotiveHighPower/FCI_Power+S3+SAE+J1772+Charge+plug+2010+06.pdf
The relay and pilot signal generation can CLEARLY be seen in the diagram, even for those technically challenged among us

I have no problem. Where is your pilot signal generator? You just don't get it, do you

No one here CARES about charging OTHER EVs, and you activating the pilot signal on a real EVSE has nothing to do with someone here making their own EVSE

Ok ... not that I want to get into the middle of anything :shock: ... but I think I could provide some clarification.

The "J1772 Adapter Box" is NOT appropriate for a LEAF. But apparently (quoting from your website) for this box ... "The pilot circut is contained in a Carlon 4x4x2 box ...". But it goes on to say: "The charger needs to see 2 signals before it will initalize charging, the OFF position supplies one signal and the ON position supplies the 2nd signal to close the charging station relay so that power is supplied and the LED comes on."

Again ... this box is NOT for charging a LEAF, but what's being described is really not a proper "pilot signal" as defined by J1772. A pilot signal (really circuit) has several functions. Your box apparently does NOT supply the signal that indicates to the charger how much maximum current the charger (in the car) is allowed to draw. I think that is the key portion that Mitch is "complaining" about. Saying the box contains the proper pilot signaling (per J1772) to turn on the charging station power is confusing.

As to the "The Plug with 8m of cord" product (or any of the other "plug" products): These would be useful for a DIY person wanting to modify an existing EVSE (which contains the proper circuitry and provides the proper pilot signal to the car) or build his/her own EVSE with such circuitry included ... to charge his/her LEAF.

Disclaimer: This will be obvious to the DIY person, but creating such DIY EVSE may VOID YOUR LEAF WARRANTY ... just have to point that out :!:

Rush said:
Mitch - I guess you still haven't been to http://www.TucsonEV.com and read it... In the first paragraph I state "The Adapter Box contains a pilot signal generator that enables the 220vac in the Charging Station." I don't know how much clearer it can be.....

Yes I've seen the schematic many times in different contexts, it is basicly the same schematic as the J1772 2001 that was used in the AVCON boxes...

And I guess you haven't even checked out the other link in my sig, http://www.TEVA2.com and seen the J1772 page that I have up there, I've been following the J1772 development ever since it was announced that Tucson was going to be part of the rollout of the Charging Stations. I got the standard the day it was published... Jan 15, 2009.

What is your problem?
Rush,

I think you're confused about what your box is for. This is an EVSE:

Note the large plug at the end of it. This goes into the plug on your car:

Nissan Leaf Charging port. L.A. Auto Show 11-24-2010 by bigbend700, on Flickr

Your box replaces the section on the car and is intended for older electric vehicles so that they can plug into modern J1772-2010 EVSEs.

A real EVSE generates a Control Pilot signal, and the car "loads" that CP signal (with one diode and 1 or 2 resistors) so that the EVSE will close its relay and provide power out to the car.

Apparently your "Adaptor Box" does NOT generate the CP signal, it only "LOADS" the EVSE's CP line to fake the EVSE into thinking an EV is attached.

To be fair, you do offer some parts, mostly useful to a few people with older EVs (EVs that are not J1772-2010 complient).

Only a few people will want to design and build an actual Control Pilot GENERATOR to make an "illegal" EVSE. I see NO evidence on your web site, in spite of what it says there, that you are offering a CP GENERATOR for sale.

But, you have accomplished your purpose here, to advertize your parts and products. Thanks for visiting.

Please let us know if you get ANY UL-listed parts, or actually have a UL-listed EVSE for sale.

The problem is solved and we can use the J1772 Charging Stations to charge up our converted EVs...

Right. And this being a LEAF message board, your adapter for converted EVs will not be useful for 99% of the people here so your post is basically spam.

Maybe if you got involved with the LEAF community, instead of just pushing your wares that don't really apply to us LEAF owners in your first post, you'd get a warmer welcome.

Instead of complaining about being too negative here, you could take the high road and be thankful we gave you an idea that WOULD be useful to us LEAF owners (the adapter to connect to RV power outlet).

If you want to run a business selling these things, you have to be professional about it. Don't Sh*t where you eat. If you don't get a warm welcome after spamming a board, say "ok thanks for your time". Not "screw you, I was trying to do you a favor, I'm outta here"...because you aren't, you're trying to do yourself a favor by advertising your goods. Instead, contact the admin and run an ad here to help support the community.

And the only reason I say this is because, having been in your position before, I've been there, done that, learned my lesson.

PS: do yourself a favor and get rid of that horrid green background on your website.

Back