Commercial Level 2 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicedcar

I am looking for input before I purchase a Level 2 EVSE for a commercial location. I started my business of selling used LEAFs and have done well this year and I want to install a pedestal/pole mounted EVSE at my location for public use. I am not interested in anything with a RFID reader or fee for use. I just want to make sure it is trouble free. I have a 220v 50amp circuit available.

I have been using a portable Level 2 EVSE on a small hand cart that I can wheel out of my office as needed. Originally I wanted to install a Level 3 EVSE, but that will have to wait until I sell many, many more LEAFs!

Looking forward to some suggestions

Thanks
John

Leviton makes a 50 amp input, 40 amp output EVSE. Not sure if it comes in a exterior use model.

Are you planning on having it available 24/7 or just have accessed during business hours? The eMotorwerks Juicebox Pro is wifi enabled and might have options for you to easily collect data on charging use. They sell an exterior lockable bracket but may not be as secure as other chargers if left out 24/7.

Right now I am leaning toward the Clipper Creek HCS-40 with the ProMount Pedestal. Should be a great way to showcase the ClipperCreek product. I looked on Plugshare and in my area, ClipperCreek products seem to be the most popular.

And it will be accessible 24/7 to the public and free to use.

I have called around to several companies and Blink networks has generously offered to donate a Level 2 station, but it wont be free. They want to charge a small fee for usage. Of course they will get the money but I see an advantage in having a networked station on my car lot.

What do you all think? Free to use non-networked ClipperCreek or Fee based networked Blink?

Personally I would go with the Clipper Creek, no fee's involved after the fact and it seems to me Blink has more issues with their equipment consistently working. I would much rather have working non-networked station to a out of service networked station.

If your really feeling ambitious, maybe put in both and in a year tell us which one you and your customers/patrons prefer :)

I have the Schneider electric evlink charger at home and I love it... It connects and operates easily, and charges faster than advertised-- 35% PER HOUR!

I have the indoor version, but you sound like you want an outdoor version... here are some that I found....

All steel construction full time outdoor rated box

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Level-2-Outdoor-Wall-Mount-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230WSR/203404685

2 lines , all steel construction

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Level-2-Outdoor-Dual-Unit-Pedestal-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230PDR/203404689

one line, all steel construction

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Level-2-Outdoor-Pedestal-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230PSR/203404687

I wouldn't get the Blink station unless your goal is to charge people for use. Around here they charge $0.39-0.49 per kwh, while actual electricity cost is $0.082 per kwh. I don't have any problem with them doing that, but doesn't seem to meet your goals. It is also very common to find them not fully functional, about 50% of the time in the few months I have had my leaf.

too true about the Blink Stations here in OR as well. too many are truly 'on the blink'. And the 40 cents to 50 cents per kwh is rather high but I do frequent a few just to support an all-EV society. The Blink QC is $5 flat fee per session at some locations. I find that quite fair for getting in and getting out in 30 minutes (80% or so charge).

I just wish more stalls per location and more QC. I am finding more users, which is awesome. But at some point it will be bothersome to wait to charge.

Oh and if any of the charging companies plan for expansion, please also plan for repairs and service. NONE of these stations do any good when down for WEEKS at a time.

I'd go for a Clipper Creek bank of chargers in the remotest part of parking lots. The ICEing is too tempting in the favored close-in spaces.

Aerovironment has been stellar along our Electric Highway here in the Willamette Valley (I-5) as well as OR coast (ALL of Hwy 101!). I'm not sure about their 'for-sale' stations for you. It was ODOT, I think, that contracted them for all these QC (plus one level 2) at each station. Again, MORE stalls per location like gas pumps and I'd REALLY be happy!

Thanks for the input.

I am still leaning toward the Blink station.

1) No charge for me :) I just have to pay for the installation, not the equipment.
2) There are 2 Blink stations in my area and they both have been working for 3+ years
3) My location "JuicedCar" will be a listed charging location because the equipment is networked

I run my used LEAF business on a shoestring budget. I have learned there is nothing cheap about the used car business. I have to be willing to pay more than anyone else to buy the LEAF and then I have to sell them for less than anyone else. That being said I am proud that this year I have personally put more than 10 LEAFs on the road in my small town. Next year, hopefully, there will be more.

juicedcar said:
3) My location "JuicedCar" will be a listed charging location because the equipment is networked
The only place it really matters to be listed, on Plugshare, you can list yourself. Being listed on Blink's network doesn't buy you much.

juicedcar said:
What do you all think? Free to use non-networked ClipperCreek or Fee based networked Blink?
My views are never popular here, but I personally don't like the "free" model. 1) First, it does not reflect reality in that someone has to pay for it and 2) There seem to be no limit to the number of EV owners who would be happy to just park their car in front of your EVSE every night and let you cover all their fueling costs with not the least appreciation for your motives for providing a public charging station. Don't believe me, here is just one example http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20553 but if you do a search you can for plenty more.

All that said, I think all these companies (e.g., Chargepoint, Blink, Greenlots etc.) have made paying WAY to complicated (with special cards / accounts where you need to keep a balance, having to call a phone number to start... etc). and that is just extremely frustrating.

I recommend a small fee pay station, but please make sure that making the payment is a quick credit card swipe and charge.

jpadc said:
All that said, I think all these companies (e.g., Chargepoint, Blink, Greenlots etc.) have made paying WAY to complicated (with special cards / accounts where you need to keep a balance, having to call a phone number to start... etc). and that is just extremely frustrating.
I suspect the reason they do this is that credit card fees are so exorbitant, while the actual cost of EV charging is usually quite low. For example, I just did my first paid ChargePoint session (after a few free ones elsewhere), at half an hour on L2, for a whopping $0.49. But they actually collected $25, as the initial credit to my account. The thing is, as I understand it, the credit card companies charge merchants a fee per transaction, as well as a percentage. So, by billing me $25, ChargePoint only has to pay one credit card transaction fee, that will, at this rate, cover my next 50 charges. It saves us both money (assuming I eventually use that balance), since otherwise, they'd have to raise the price at the "pump" to cover the transaction fees.

Blink has been too unreliable.
Whole Foods that has six of them, only one is working after four years.

If you plan to charge, then the charge should cover your maintenance.
Blink does not cover the maintenance or provide any money to the landlord for electricity cost.

So they provide no real benefit for you other than not charging for the equipment at the start.

If you are paying as you go, better to start with more reliable Aerovironment or Clipper Creek or Eaton L2.
It might still be working in five years with zero maintenance cost if the users treat it right and no one vandalizes it.

Thank to everyone for the input. I have finally completed the install of the Blink station. We will see how it holds up over time. So far so good. I really got a thrill out of seeing the station and the status on the Blink map. Now hopefully people will find it useful. Have a great 2016!

Back