11 days left- which EVSE is available?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrich

I have 11 days to purchase a Level 2 EVSE to take advantage of the better 2010 tax credit (as opposed to the reduced 2011 one). I know AV isn't allowing me to get one of their b/c I don't take delivery of the Leaf until April. Clipper Creek is expensive at $2200+.

What EVSEs are available for purchase now? Preferably, I'd like the EVSE to cost less than $1,000 as I only need something basic.

Thanks,
Tim

If AV won't let you cash-n-carry, I think Clipper Creek is really the only other option. Since the 30% credit is going forward, I would just take advantage of that when you can get the AV EVSE.

Well, if Clipper Creek is the only EVSE available now, these are my options.

$850 AV unit plus shipping and tax
1800 install/service panel/wiring (condo install)
2600 Total
1820 Cost after 2011 30% rebate

2300 CC unit
1800 Install/etc
4100 Total
2050 Cost after 2010 50% rebate

Going by this, for $200 more, the Clipper Creek unit is the one to go with.

Aren't there any more EVSEs available now that cost less than $2200?

Don't let the tax rules run your life. Think 160 Leviton next year after you actually get the Leaf.

Otherwise ask a Volt owner to order you a Voltec evse.

tgrich said:
Well, if Clipper Creek is the only EVSE available now, these are my options.

$850 AV unit plus shipping and tax
1800 install/service panel/wiring (condo install)
2600 Total
1820 Cost after 2011 30% rebate

2300 CC unit
1800 Install/etc
4100 Total
2050 Cost after 2010 50% rebate

Going by this, for $200 more, the Clipper Creek unit is the one to go with.

Aren't there any more EVSEs available now that cost less than $2200?

If that installation number is from your AV assessment - then I'd expect hiring your own electrician to install the CC unit this year you'd get it done for a lot less then $1800. The posts on the AV install threads all seemed to indicate that the AV installs were significantly overpriced. So CC this year may be both the desirable unit and the best price.

I'm waiting to see what the Leviton is like - hoping it is something that you can put in the back of the car and take with you and rig up a way to charge at RV parks.

Most will likely get an EVSE for LESS next year as prices will be lower. Some may even find a surprise way not to have to buy an L2 EVSE. Too many people are going to be hasty and overpay this year. CC is a good EVSE, far better than the cheap, overpriced AV EVSE but not worth the price.

I have been watching (waiting for) the 32A L1 & L2 combo plug-in "movable" small-size EVSE from SPX, but unknown price and availability. I will use the Nissan-included L1 (120v) EVSE to get started.

I thought AV was allowing purchases this year. Some other forum members were able to do so without owning the car yet. But chances are, next year the prices for EVSEs will likely plummet as the available choices increase, to the point that it will cost less even with the lower tax credit.

I'm going with the CC CS-100, for $2550 + $50 S/H

$2600, of which 1/2 will be a tax credit ($1300)
the unit is going directly next to the main panel, which happens to be on the front left of the garage, couldn't be in a better spot. Electrician is a friend of mine, and I already have the 100A breaker (which was for another project that didn't happen), so the permit and electrician will be less than $400-$500, bring the total to about $3000 or so, of which 1/2 will be a tax credit. my cost wil be about $1500, and I can't even get an EV for a year or two, or maybe even longer in the Boston area. I want to get the 80A capable EVSE, so any future EV will work with it, up to a 19.2KW charger... even if the common 16A/32A EVSE's do drop in price in the next year or two, I don';t expect the high current/high quality CC units to drop that much, and I'd rather just get it now, with the %50 credit up to $2000 allowed in 2010 (which means you can spend up to $4000 total this year on the EVSE/install)

really, there is no choice this year other than AV and CC, and AV isn't selling to customers unless their Leaf delivery is very soon. So, your only REAL choice is Clipper Creek.

LakeLeaf said:
If that installation number is from your AV assessment - then I'd expect hiring your own electrician to install the CC unit this year you'd get it done for a lot less then $1800. The posts on the AV install threads all seemed to indicate that the AV installs were significantly overpriced. So CC this year may be both the desirable unit and the best price.

I'm waiting to see what the Leviton is like - hoping it is something that you can put in the back of the car and take with you and rig up a way to charge at RV parks.

That's why I put condo install in parentheses. Not only do I have to pay for a new service panel, but I also have to pay for a 160 ft run of conduit and wire to my parking spot, along with the labor to install that long run. I also included a couple hundred extra for all the extra leg work (demand study, etc) my electrician is doing because I'm contesting the SCE service planner's original denial to install anything.

mitch672 said:

$2600, of which 1/2 will be a tax credit ($1300)
the unit is going directly next to the main panel, which happens to be on the front left of the garage, couldn't be in a better spot. Electrician is a friend of mine, and I already have the 100A breaker (which was for another project that didn't happen), so the permit and electrician will be less than $400-$500, bring the total to about $3000 or so, of which 1/2 will be a tax credit. my cost wil be about $1500, and I can't even get an EV for a year or two, or maybe even longer in the Boston area. I want to get the 80A capable EVSE, so any future EV will work with it, up to a 19.2KW charger... even if the common 16A/32A EVSE's do drop in price in the next year or two, I don';t expect the high current/high quality CC units to drop that much, and I'd rather just get it now, with the %50 credit up to $2000 allowed in 2010 (which means you can spend up to $4000 total this year on the EVSE/install)

really, there is no choice this year other than AV and CC, and AV isn't selling to customers unless their Leaf delivery is very soon. So, your only REAL choice is Clipper Creek.

There is the choice of 2011 options. And as soon as Nissan sells part I will show you a third L2 option. There is no need to spend $1300 post credit on an EVSE unless you feel a sense of urgency. In fact if you own a Leaf now there are L2 options in your trunk if you have the proper skills.

mitch672 said:

If this is so, then why has AV scheduled an install at my house for 12/28 when my delivery status is merely "pending?" Are they going to call and say "Sorry, we are not coming out to install your unit?"

BlueSL said:
mitch672 said:

If this is so, then why has AV scheduled an install at my house for 12/28 when my delivery status is merely "pending?" Are they going to call and say "Sorry, we are not coming out to install your unit?"
AV evse inventory appears to be primarily reserved for installations. Only extra inventory will be shipped direct for self install.

Update:

I found a source that has Coloumb EVSEs in stock now. I'd like some opinions...

Coloumb for $1850 or Clipper Creek for $~2250?

Thanks!

Gary, hardly anyone "needs one", however, is it better to get %50 of $2300 off, or %30 of maybe $1200-1500 in the future? I'm getting the CC CS-100, won't have a car until 2012 to plug in, at the earliest. so no, no one "needs" an EVSE NOW (well, hardly anyone), but there are tax credits that are being reduced, and who knows for how long they will continue past 2011... I say it's a good investment, if you have the money now, it's certainly better than bank interest.

BTW, I think CC is built like the proverbial tank, and has many more years of experience with EVSEs than Coulomb.

mitch672 said:
Gary, hardly anyone "needs one", however, is it better to get %50 of $2300 off, or %30 of maybe $1200-1500 in the future? .
I put it more at 50% off $2,300 or 30% off $500 ;)
Comparing with Voltec currently at $490
Time will tell

I'm going to bet that by the time I get my car in March I will be able to show people how to get an L2 portable EVSE for either $200 or less before credits. Spending over $500 on an EVSE before or after credits is crazy IMO, unless you have money to burn. I also think it's crazy rushing to buy from fly by night companies like EVCA for $650.

smkettner said:
mitch672 said:
Gary, hardly anyone "needs one", however, is it better to get %50 of $2300 off, or %30 of maybe $1200-1500 in the future? .
I put it more at 50% off $2,300 or 30% off $500 ;)
Comparing with Voltec currently at $490
Time will tell

I'm getting a 100A EVSE (75Amp capable to the J-1772), this will charge any EV for the forseeable future, so, no, the $500 Voltec can't compare to a future proof high current CC unit.
Now, I wouldn't spend the $2250 for the CC CS-40 there are lower cost comparable unit out, but the CC CS-100? There is nothing that compares to that for $2550 (considering uncle sam is paying for 1/2 of it)

smkettner said:
BlueSL said:
mitch672 said:

AV evse inventory appears to be primarily reserved for installations. Only extra inventory will be shipped direct for self install.

Inventory is code for "don't supply to non-installations to pressure them to install before year end". With all the AV cancellations I bet they have a pile of EVSEs available.

Back