Help: EVSE RS+ (PLUS)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgatt

Hello, I just bought a new Aerovironment Level 2 charging station, model EVSE-RS+. Apparently, the plus indicates it is the "Smart" version of this unit, that can communicate with various networks. Well, after plugging in the thing, it won't do anything other than light up the "Power present" light. I've talked to AV several times and none of them seem to know anything about this. My guess is there is some sort of configuration that I'm supposed to setup before it will work. Actually, I wanted the "dumb" version, so I would really like a way to simply deactivate the "smart" part of this. I'm amazed that googling this model returns absolutely nothing about setting up the thing to work with a network, so I am at a total loss. Please, does anyone know anything about this unit? -Mark

Dang! looking thru their web site, indeed, there is no documentation on the Plus model. Is it wi-fi? possibly its something you can see with your smartphone's wi-fi in settings.

Personally, I would keep calling them, and insist on talking to someone who is familiar with them. They made it, there has to be an engineer or tech support person who is familiar with them.

Did it not come with instructions?

AV makes some slick products, but truthfully, they are way overpriced. Lots of choices in the $500 to $650 range and depending on your installation, even down to $400.

Link to an article about the plus model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/15/aerovironment-begins-shipping-evse-rs-residential-chargers/

Charles

Thanks for the reply!

I was finally able to find someone at AV who was able to find out more information. It requires a cellular account for it to work. He was surprised I even had this model, as it was only available to commercial locations.

I did attempt the wifi thing, but no luck. It came with a very nice installation / user manual, but unfortunately, it was for the non-plus model. They are now looking into the chance that if I mailed to them, someone could reprogram it to be a "dumb" station. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm parting it out.

-Mark

How did you come by it? Did you purposely order it not realizing exactly what the Plus was? (and I would not blame you a bit if you had, I probably would have too), or did it get mis-shipped by accident, in which case you would think they would want the thing back, even if already installed, they could sell it as a second or refurbished or something.

I keep looking at the EVSE's and the pricing, and its pure insanity. What really kills me is the fancy housings, and pedestals and such that cost several times more than the basics that are inside the box. Other than the old excuse that they can charge that much because... they can, why does a 25 ft cord add a couple of hundred dollars over a 15 ft cord? or why does the installation pedestal made of some extruded aluminum welded to a base plate cost a grand? (I know, UL listing and all of that crap).

Charles

The J1772 cable continues to be the major cost item. I paid $334 for my ITT 30A 20 feet cable with tax and shipping a few years ago.. Ebay has deals on cables.
I paid $95 shipped for my last 30A 15 ft cable. A new 40A 25 ft cable is around $207 shipped from Quick Charge Power. The upcharge from 20 ft is reasonable.

Ebay continues to have good used cables for cheap. There is a Vendor in Irvine that sells old stock (2011) new cables. Shipping is $20 and a 15Ft Yazaki cable is $99. A 25 ft cable is $125.

That said sometimes there is good Ebay deals on used cables. They seen to go fast.

All's well that end's well: I was able to return the unit and get a full refund. Now, back to square one: finding a good deal on an AV charging station. Can anywhere else beat Amazon's $799 price?

Thanks for all the help! -Mark

mgatt said:
Now, back to square one: finding a good deal on an AV charging station. Can anywhere else beat Amazon's $799 price?
I assume you're looking at this?

http://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment-EV-Charger-cable-7-2kW/dp/B008RZXWNM/

The cord length makes a big difference in price -- a 15' model is $649 on Amazon.

Is your heart really set on AeroVironment? You can certainly get good EVSEs cheaper than that.

Back