My EVSE installations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesinGA

EDIT: see the link below my signature to view the pnoto album with the four pics in it.

Wished I could upload pics directly to this board, as I don't have a hosting service such as Photobucket. [rant on}Forums and boards should maintain their own pic database, and require the members to upload the pics to it, that way they never get lost or dumped from hosting services. [/end or rant]

I installed the GE unit in my shop, adjacent to my electric panel. Later I found the Leviton unit for $399 new from a liquidator and bought it. It worked once and failed. Leviton fixed it, said a resistor had burned up. Was giving me a steady red light, and indication of no ground circuit to the EVSE from the house electric panel. It didn't work either at the house or in the shop on the welder receptacle, separate panels, different buildings, different meters even.

I planned on donating the Leviton to the county government if they would install it in the county seat on the courthouse square, but quickly realized it would last about a week before the tweeker/scrappers would discover it and cut the cord some night for a few cents of scrap metal. Then I got an offer from Georgia Power to Flat Rate my electric bill on the house for the next year, flat rate, as long as I don't use more than 50% more electricity in a given month than the previous year, No make up or settle up at the end of the year. I figure I would get some free electricity if the EVSE were on the house, so I built the cabinet (to keep the EVSE out of the rain and sun) and ran a wire from the house electric panel to it.

Technically, being outdoors, it is supposed to be hardwired, that is part of the reason for the cabinet, to keep it "indoors" unless I was using it. Won't use it if it is raining or other foul weather, just use the one in the shop in that case. Cabinet also serves to protect the cord from damage by animals. There is a full quart of Helmsman Urethane Spar Varnish on that wood. All surfaces, including the backside are coated. Most are double or triple coated, even most of the hardware. Latches are stainless.

I wanted the Leviton unit portable, in case it was needed elsewhere for some strange reason, so that is why I wanted to keep the plug on it. Leviton allows it to be hardwired, but I put it on the quick remove mounting plate, so it can be removed in a jiffy if needed.

EDIT: Thought I would add to this. The Leviton quick release mounting plate is only available in a "prewire" kit with a receptacle, electrical box, and a receptacle cover (rather odd since it can only be used indoors, why have it). Retail on this kit is an absurd $70 something dollars. I did have someone at Leviton tell me they could sell me the kit for $68, but if you REALLY want one, go to Amazon and search for it (there are two different ones depending on which receptacle is being used/provided) and under the price click on the "new and used available for ...." This takes you to a page with a number of the kits listed, mostly returns, open box, inspected and resealed, for $48 which is the very best price I could find. I used the receptacle (even though I have several new receptacles of that type that I bought at the flea marked) and of course, the mounting plate. You DO NOT need the mounting plate however if you do not intend to remove it from the wall. The plate is a quick release, loosen a captive thumbscrew and then lift it off the pins. People buy these and get them, open them, go "holy crap this is crazy $$$$ for what I get" and realize they don't need it to permanently mount it, and then send it back. Amazon has several of them.

If you don't see images, just right click, open in new tab, on the first four links to see the pics.

Charles

See my photo album at

http://charles-dusty.tripod.com/electric_vehicle/

This will work, I tried it on a tablet that has never been logged into Tripod before.

Your image links don't work unless the reader is (also) logged into garagejournal.com.

May I suggest imgur.com as a relatively low-nonsense pic host for forums? No signup needed.

wmcbrine said:
Your image links don't work unless the reader is (also) logged into garagejournal.com.

May I suggest imgur.com as a relatively low-nonsense pic host for forums? No signup needed.

Hmmm, Will try to figure this one out. Not really interested in setting up an image hosting account, thanks for the heads up, not something I can easily see on this end. Should have logged out of GJ to check the pics.....

Start a free account with Photo Bucket or Webshots and upload you pictures there, then from the website you can copy/paste the link here. You can also post the link in between this format and the photo will appear here. /IMG (link here) [/IMG]

I too need to clear out the Garage to get both the Leaf & Volt and get both EVSE hard wired into the box or a separate box leading into the main 200 AMP power box.

Fred

I'm trying to remember why I hate Photobucket for forum pics, but at the moment, I only remember that I do. :D

At first, I was typing "no-nonsense" to describe Imgur, but then I remembered how they've added all this social/sharing stuff, so I had to change it to "low-nonsense". But you can still ignore all that, just go to the site, hit the "upload images" button, and get back a URL to use with the IMG tag.

Recently, I've actually started using Twitter as an image host, but that's less straightforward.

Nope, images still busted, I get a small image that says "This image hosted by Tripod". Wierdly, if I copy the image URL and paste it into a new tab's address bar, it works. Nice job. I think you have enough outlets. FWIW, I use Photobucket for this.

Thats weird. I even went to the trouble to log out of Tripod and reboot, and then went back and checked it, worked OK.

Right now I'm too peeved to do anything. Charter Cable gave me a new Cisco DOCSIS 3 cable modem to replace my DOCSIS 2 unit and suddenly the router doesn't work properly, actually two different routers won't work on it, but now they don't work without it either. Cannot access the firmware in them, nothing, but they pass thru to the network printer. Everything worked fine till I swapped the modem, then it all crapped out. Dozens of reboots, checking settings, trying the routers on a different computer, reset to defaults, nothing. Modem works fine hooked straight to the computer, wasted the whole afternoon plugging, unplugging, rebooting, etc. Guess I'll get a new router and see how it works. (its a straight modem, no wifi or router in it).

davewill said:
Nope, images still busted, I get a small image that says "This image hosted by Tripod". Wierdly, if I copy the image URL and paste it into a new tab's address bar, it works. Nice job. I think you have enough outlets. FWIW, I use Photobucket for this.

Just a few outlets. Top one is NEMA 6-50 (240v only) for welder. Below that is a NEMA 6-20 (240v only) which I used to power a portable air compressor which I no longer have, its just handy to have it for a MIG welder or whatever comes along (16 amp EVSE fits this receptacle). The one to its right is a Locking (twist) NEMA L14-30 (120v/240v) commonly found on generators. It allows me to use my generator extension cords to reach way out and (using an adapter) power the welder, friends RV, or whatever else comes along. Two bottom ones are regular 120v receptacles. There is a total of 27 of those in the shop, scattered along the walls.

I just added the links to the post. You can easily right click/open in new tab and view them. Best I can come up with right now.

Charles

Bumping to let everyone know the pics can be seen in my Tripod photo album, no log in needed, it works.

See my photo album at

http://charles-dusty.tripod.com/electric_vehicle/

This will work, I tried it on a tablet that has never been logged into Tripod before.

Charles

Back