Juicebox or ClipperCreek HCS-40

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowspeed

The only plus I see with the juicebox is the ability to use 110 with a plug adapter and potentially upgradability in the future up to 60amp and semi portable (just plus in a cradle)

The ClipperCreek on the other hand is well established, 3 years warranty, Has LEDs for status indications. ETL Certified.

The creek one is a little more money.

^^^
I think you'll find the primary MNL opinion to be that Clipper Creek is a box that can be relied upon to charge your LEAF. They are a more established company and seem to have worked out the bugs that haunt new-starts. Having said this, be aware that we have used our upgraded 2011 Nissan Panasonic EVSE (via EVSEUpgrade.com) with 100% reliability for almost 4 years. It was the least expensive way to get safe 240V charging at the time and they seem to have stuck to those tenants with the newer Nissan EVSE equipment.

I am biased. I have the HCS-40. I hardwired mine in the garage, and the install could not have been more simple. The company is super friendly and helpful, the unit is made in the USA and it just works.

I installed a hardwired GE DuraStation in my garage to an existing 240 volt 20 amp circuit. It has sped up the overnight charging time and works for my purposes. I can always upgrade the breaker to a 40 amp and re-wire with heavier gauge wire, but whether it charges in 2 hours or 5 hours while I sleep (off peak electric rates) isn't any different for me and not worth spending any money on. My cost was $399 for the DuraStation at Home Depot and another $20 for wire, connectors and conduit for a clean elegant install.

BakoDuck said:
I installed a hardwired GE DuraStation in my garage to an existing 240 volt 20 amp circuit. It has sped up the overnight charging time and works for my purposes. I can always upgrade the breaker to a 40 amp and re-wire with heavier gauge wire, but whether it charges in 2 hours or 5 hours while I sleep (off peak electric rates) isn't any different for me and not worth spending any money on. My cost was $399 for the DuraStation at Home Depot and another $20 for wire, connectors and conduit for a clean elegant install.

To my thinking, this is the best deal going. Its plain jane, but works, what else is there to ask for? I have one and it works flawlessly. Mine is mounted right next to and below the electric panel in my shop and has about 3 ft of conduit out the bottom and over and up into the bottom of my panel. I bought a angled "holster" off of Ebay and screwed it to the plywood the EVSE is mounted on and it makes it real neat.

If you spend over $399 plus tax, you have probably spent too much.

Back