What can I buy ahead of time for the electrician?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

I've got an electrician showing up in about three weeks. Yes, three weeks. Trade work is backed up like crazy over here right now. Which is why I would like to pick up any parts that she may not already have on her truck (I'd like to avoid being rescheduled because parts need to be purchased). It's to run a line to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle in a detached garage.

Here's what I'm thinking of ordering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YUNT/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK9X6W

I'd also like to get this thing metered. What's a good meter that I can have hooked up inline? Thanks for any help!

The cover you have is for a single box. You're going to want a double box. There isn't enough room in a single box for the size wires you'll need. But the electrician should have that stuff since he already knows he's installing a 6-50r.

Here's a simple, cheap, utility grade meter and box:

Valdemar said:
Do you have room for an extra double-pole breaker in your electric panel? You can buy the breaker too.

I'll second this, most important thing to get as your breaker will be brand specific for your panelboard, (ie, Square D QO panel needs like breaker, Homeline needs Homeline breaker, Siemens or Murray needs Siemens breaker, etc) See exactly what type of panel you have and make sure you have two adjoining (one above the other, NOT across from each other) unused knockouts, and buy a 40 amp double pole breaker for it. Cheap at Home Depot, about $9. Your electrician may not have the needed brand of breaker.

NEMA 6-50 receptacle is $6.86 at Home Depot.

A NEMA 6-50 receptacle can be legally fitted in a standard 18 cu in single box, if you are using #8 conductors.

For fill calculations, the #8 conductors count as 3.0 cu in each, thus 6.0 cu in. The receptacle is counted as two conductors, thus it is 6.0 cu in also. We are up to 12 cu. in. The #10 ground counts as 2.5 cu in, for a total of 14.5 cu in. So this is legal (though a little tight) in a 18 cu in box.

Back