Install my own EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botsmaker

Why can't I install my own EVSE without the services of an electrician. I would get the Leviton kit, EVSE unit, 20 amp breaker, liquid tight flex conduit, wire and fittings. I would draw up my plans and get the permit to do my own work, then have it inspected. With a little research, I can figure what I need and how to do it. Its not rocket science. I'm a DIY and in my line of work I design, test, field service multi-kilowatt power supplies for industry and research. I'm fully versed with electricity. In my mobile home park, I've seen and experienced a lot of shody work done by real electricians. I feel I could do a better job with this project than what most electricians would do. After all it will be inspected before the breaker is turned on. I live in the City of Hayward, California and wonder if the city has provisions for doing this.

Most city permit departments are very helpful. Go down and ask.
Take a basic plan drawing with proposed equipment and connections and you should do fine.

botsmaker said:
Why can't I install my own EVSE without the services of an electrician. I would get the Leviton kit, EVSE unit, 20 amp breaker, liquid tight flex conduit, wire and fittings. I would draw up my plans and get the permit to do my own work, then have it inspected. With a little research, I can figure what I need and how to do it. Its not rocket science. I'm a DIY and in my line of work I design, test, field service multi-kilowatt power supplies for industry and research. I'm fully versed with electricity. In my mobile home park, I've seen and experienced a lot of shody work done by real electricians. I feel I could do a better job with this project than what most electricians would do. After all it will be inspected before the breaker is turned on. I live in the City of Hayward, California and wonder if the city has provisions for doing this.

Should be fine. I have talked to my local township and have the paperwork ready, All you will usually need is the paperwork filled out, a drawing and the permit issued. After the work, they will inspect.

Most of these local departments are helpful in walking you through the steps.

You can do it, but there are MANY peculiar rules that might apply. If you do not know them, the inspector might make you re-do parts of the job.

To have the best chance of success vs. the inspection, include ALL the details on the drawings for the Permit: wire size and type, all dimensions and materials, box and conduit specs, and even pictures of the existing breaker box, its ratings, etc.

You do not need to show them all the detailed drawings at first, but ou will be prepared if they ask for them. That might save you several repeat trips.

Then, the Permit people MIGHT be able to find a mistake, or tell you that a disconnect switch is required, or that what you are planning to do is not even allowed in your area.

But, the work itself is easy.

The knowing WHAT to do (and NOT to do), is the more difficult part.

mwalsh said:
Go for it. Like smkettner said...they are generally quite helpful in getting you going.

Unless you live in Oceanside and have PV solar, then even the contractor who's been in business 70+ years will run into a brick wall pulling the permits.
:evil:

Jimmy,
When you find out the problems, and their solutions, please let us know.

Maybe even scan the entire final Permit package into a pdf so that I can look it over? Or, just copy it for me and mail or bring it to a Branch Gathering?

Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
Jimmy,
When you find out the problems, and their solutions, please let us know.

Maybe even scan the entire final Permit package into a pdf so that I can look it over? Or, just copy it for me and mail or bring it to a Branch Gathering?

Thanks, Gary

If I get my hands on the paperwork, I'll do tha, Gary. Seems Oceanside is the only municipality that is raising a stink over what is in effect a 40amp circuit for a new dryer. My solar is what he's upset over....we shall see. :cry:

Jimmydreams, I have found from experience that a community office that issues permits will respond quicker to a home owner than their contractor especially if the contractor is from outside the area. I had a situation where the contractor could not get a permit in a timely fashion. I went to the permit office and told them how important it was to get the permit right away and they then expedited their approval.

So, the PV system was not done/connected quite the way they now want it to be?

Very strange that the PV is even an issue unless they had an internal conflict ("The inspector/Permit shouldn't have approved THAT") and finger-pointing over how your PV got its Permit/inspection.

Well, a saga.

Apparently LA will not even approve a 240v socket for plug-in EVSE use. I think older codes had no provisions for "EV-charging" use of sockets, and only "specified" uses (like shop equipment, welder, etc.) were approved.

I was "cautioned" that I might need to install a 240v socket "for a welder". :D

Perhaps an RV use might (not) qualify in some areas. Here, we cannot even legally park an RV on the street unless "actively loading or unloading", I believe.

stanley said:
Jimmydreams, I have found from experience that a community office that issues permits will respond quicker to a home owner than their contractor especially if the contractor is from outside the area. I had a situation where the contractor could not get a permit in a timely fashion. I went to the permit office and told them how important it was to get the permit right away and they then expedited their approval.

I called the 'gentleman' in question and was very polite to him. He treated me like someone in the wrong line at the DMV....he basically said "I gave your contractor everything he needs to get the permit" and wouldn't entertain any discussion over the possibility of excessive requirements.

Gary, the solar permit/install isn't the problem. It's the solar load calculations that he is looking for and claims are missing (which apparently weren't), PLUS minimum 18x24" drawings and specs for the entire project (all signed by a draftsman) and a bunch of other ridiculous stuff. I don't know if the contractor sent in a paper napkin with "kan we doo this projekt?" and that was it, hence the retalitory requests by the city? I doubt it, the contractor has been in business over 70 years so they know how to do the permit-dance. The drama continues, and the clock ticks and the holidays approach. :(

Jimmy, I would think that if you visit with him in person he would not be as big of a jerk. Over the telephone it is easier for him to hide from reality.

Can anyone recommend software for doing cad drawings for electrical work? A free one would be good. Just something simple to show layout and dimensions so I don't have to draw by hand. I'm more familiar with schematic drawing programs for electronics such as PCBexpress, Douglas Cadcam, Eagle and Tango.

For those, like myself who wants to install their own EVSE and live in a Mobile Home, here are links to the required California forms:

Form 415 Permit Application:
http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/mhp/hcd415.pdf
Form 604 Permit Guidelines for Mobile Homes:
http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/mhp/HCDMH604.pdf

Back