Newb with Charging Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesh

I'll try to keep it short, but no promises:
I will soon be the proud owner of a 2013 Leaf. My garage has a dedicated 30amp circuit with a 6-50 plug (formerly used for an air compressor...wire is 10-2g).
SO. My plan is to get a Clipper Creek 25amp unit with a 6-50 plug. I will use this for home charging but also for portable charging.
Speaking of portability, I was planning on getting a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. Here is the question:
Can I cut off the neutral prong of the 14-50 plug to make this useful in both dryer plugs and RV plugs? I am assuming that as long as my EVSE is 25 amps, it will not matter if I plug into a 30, 40 or 50 amp circuit.
Am I correct in this thinking? If I upgrade to a 40 amp circuit, I assume this will still be fine. I am making quite a few assumptions (and I know that can lead to "making an ass out of you and mption") but hopefully, I am not off base.
If you carry more knowledge on this subject than I, please chime in.

note that I did search the forum for this and could find no answer. Also, I read never to cut off the plug of a 14-50 as the fear is it may accidentally get plugged into a 14-30 and fry the circuit (or set a fire), but as it will be a short extension used exclusively with the EVSE, I am assuming (there I go again) it won't be a problem.

jamesh said:
I'll try to keep it short, but no promises:
I will soon be the proud owner of a 2013 Leaf. My garage has a dedicated 30amp circuit with a 6-50 plug (formerly used for an air compressor...wire is 10-2g).
SO. My plan is to get a Clipper Creek 25amp unit with a 6-50 plug. I will use this for home charging but also for portable charging.
Speaking of portability, I was planning on getting a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. Here is the question:
Can I cut off the neutral prong of the 14-50 plug to make this useful in both dryer plugs and RV plugs? I am assuming that as long as my EVSE is 25 amps, it will not matter if I plug into a 30, 40 or 50 amp circuit.
Am I correct in this thinking? If I upgrade to a 40 amp circuit, I assume this will still be fine. I am making quite a few assumptions (and I know that can lead to "making an ass out of you and mption") but hopefully, I am not off base.
If you carry more knowledge on this subject than I, please chime in.

note that I did search the forum for this and could find no answer. Also, I read never to cut off the plug of a 14-50 as the fear is it may accidentally get plugged into a 14-30 and fry the circuit (or set a fire), but as it will be a short extension used exclusively with the EVSE, I am assuming (there I go again) it won't be a problem.
Yes, this should all be fine (including removing the neutral pin, although you don't really need to remove the pin on the connector if you're just using an adapter -- the neutral just won't be connected, and that's fine), except that a 30A circuit is only rated for 24A continuous, so running a 25A EVSE on it might be slightly on the edge of dicey. In reality, based on everything you say (10AWG wire, etc.), it's probably OK.
FYI, mine is connected to a 14-50 in my garage, and I kept the neutral intact. There's just no wire going from the neutral to anything.

ishiyakazuo said:
... except that a 30A circuit is only rated for 24A continuous, so running a 25A EVSE on it might be slightly on the edge of dicey. In reality, based on everything you say (10AWG wire, etc.), it's probably OK.
FYI, mine is connected to a 14-50 in my garage, and I kept the neutral intact. There's just no wire going from the neutral to anything.
Perversely, Clipper Creek names their EVSEs by the circuit required, not the amperage delivered, so the LCS-25 is a 20a unit that requires a 25a circuit. They don't sell a an EVSE for a 30a circuit to my knowledge.

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25p-nema-14-30/

LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30
$485.00
New Low Price, Holster Included

Charging Amperage: 20A (4.8 kW max)
Supply Circuit: 208/240V, 30A
Installation: Plug connected – NEMA 14-30, holster included
Cord Length: 25 feet
Enclosure: NEMA 4; indoor rated, fully sealed
Warranty: 3 years
Certifications: UL, cUL, ETL, cETL
Dimensions: 11”L x 4”W x 3”D
Price: $485
Made in America
Note: it says 30a because this is the one with the 14-30 plug. The LCS-25P with the 14-50 plug says 50a. The hardwired version specifies a 25a circuit.

davewill said:
ishiyakazuo said:
... except that a 30A circuit is only rated for 24A continuous, so running a 25A EVSE on it might be slightly on the edge of dicey. In reality, based on everything you say (10AWG wire, etc.), it's probably OK.
Perversely, Clipper Creek names their EVSEs by the circuit required, not the amperage delivered, so the LCS-25 is a 20a unit that requires a 25a circuit. They don't sell a an EVSE for a 30a circuit to my knowledge.

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25p-nema-14-30/

LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30
$485.00
New Low Price, Holster Included

Charging Amperage: 20A (4.8 kW max)
Supply Circuit: 208/240V, 30A
Installation: Plug connected – NEMA 14-30, holster included
Cord Length: 25 feet
Enclosure: NEMA 4; indoor rated, fully sealed
Warranty: 3 years
Certifications: UL, cUL, ETL, cETL
Dimensions: 11”L x 4”W x 3”D
Price: $485
Made in America
Note: it says 30a because this is the one with the 14-30 plug. The hardwired version specifies a 25a circuit.
Ah, well, there you go.

Damn, you guys are quick. Thank you for validating what I hoped was correct based on my minimal knowledge of electricity and other info gained from countless hours of reading (the internet).
In the time I posted the question, I got a call telling me I won the leaf (at auction), so I am good to go. Clipper Creek HQ is less than 2 miles from my house so soon I will by driving over there to get my LCS25 EVSE.
Thanks again,
James

BTW, Since you're making your own 14-30/50 adapter. The most common plug you find at the hardware store is actually a 14-30/50 with both neutral blades in the kit. It's really easy to just not install either of them.

davewill said:
BTW, Since you're making your own 14-30/50 adapter. The most common plug you find at the hardware store is actually a 14-30/50 with both neutral blades in the kit. It's really easy to just not install either of them.

Thanks, and I agree that maybe I could have (should have) gone a different route. My first thought was to install a 14-30, but it would not be a true circuit using the current wiring (not that it is true with a 10awg going to a 6-50). In reality I likely should have just upgraded the entire circuit to a 40 amp as the entire circuit is accessible, but it is long run (nearly 30 meters) and I have a lot on my plate (read l-a-z-y)... So I purchased this adapter plug:
210MgSA3McL.jpg

I will now shave off the neutral and call it a day.
I read on a Tesla forum that S model owners have gone this route, but I just wanted to double (triple) check before I test this on my new (to me) Leaf. ;)

For others reading this topic, I just attached a 14-50 plug to my Clipper Creek LCS-25 and it's really easy to leave off the Neutral prong if you use a convertible 50/30 plug kit. I had gotten the hardwired version of the EVSE, but CC puts plastic shrink tube over the armored cable on those, and I just used a bit more of it to get a secure fit to the plug. Now I can plug into a non-locking 50 amp RV outlet, or a non-locking 30 amp dryer outlet, (which I'll be installing next) without an adapter.

Back