Cheapiest evse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aitechman

Hello! NB here)

I live in Russia and 4 months ago I bought 2013 leaf usdm, and of course it came with the stock 120V EVSE. I wasn't aware of that fact that it can't actually work on 240V grid, well... it is 21 century and all of the electronics are capable of working in 120-240V range... but not this evse) It worked about 4 months and then just got cooked. I disassembled the evse and saw that transformer and capacitor got blown up, but this was not the worst of all. The worst thing that everything inside the evse is in water stopping compaund, or something like this, so it is completely not repairable.
WTF? - that was my first thought, but then I've searched web and found some schematics and exactly "bare evse" thread. This topic is representing my version of "bare evse".
Many thanks to BetterLeaf for help and his thread! http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First version that I've managed to build based on "bare evse" circuit diagram failed to charge gen2 leaf. Strange error: when pilot signal is applied to the port - car responds and the blue led start to blink, but when I connect the power wires - the car stops charging and nothing happens then. Tried with different duty and fq - same result.

The second version that I've build is based on other circuit diagram, the same components with minor differences. And it worked! All of the components are cheap and avaliable almost everywhere.
It is fully switchable evse that powers up and disconnects both power wires, can adjust duty cycle and frequency, just like "bare evse". The circuit diagram of the relay controlling op amp is completely from "bare evse", but the op amp is LM358L, in fact almost any op amp will do the job.
There is no GFCI.
There was an old case for the front panel of the 1din car stereo and I decided to put my evse in it)) Fit like a glove!

Here are some pics
2vmyr8j.png

I used 1n4148 diodes instead, almost any diode will work
And there is missing 1K resistor on the 3d pin, it must be 1k +/-1%, it is very important for the pilot signal measuring by the ev
For example 970Ohm didn't worked. May be it is only gen2 leafs issue, I didn't tested on the gen1 leafs...

2uo2lb4.jpg

m8zhic.jpg

jgnr87.jpg

315edrk.jpg

ipv9mt.jpg

This is a very nice true DIY solution for emergency charging or as the second cable.
Peace!)

great post. I am planning on taking my leaf to africa in a month and I think I would need a setup like yours. can you help me with a detailed instructions.

Thank you

Thanks!

If You'll follow instructions in the "bare evse" thread - You'll gonna be fine) You just need to find 12V power supply and 2 relays.

Back