Another error charge from NRG

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiu100ca

After no successful dispute with NRG for my previous claim (NRG record showed I charged at a fast DC charger for 70min, which I didn't), now I got another bill saying I charged at a level 2 charger for 138 min on May 7th. Luckily I checked in on "Plug Share" that day saying not able to charge. I did scan my card in front of the machine and no juice was going to the car so I unplug it and left. On May 8th, another user said the charger was still not operational. I doubt all the evidence will convince NRG their mistake on my bill.. From now on I will document all chargings and send a complaint to BBB. If there were other users experienced like I did, I would like to gather all of you and starting legal action against this untruthful company.

For the last 10 months, I've had ok payment management with NRG. But, this month, their systems seems to be acting up. They have overcharged me for about $20, which isn't explained by the charging summary that they send me every month (starting from the last 4-5 months). So, I called them up and they seem to have opened a ticket and told me they'll call me within 24 hrs to give an initial explanation of the charge. I'm still waiting for their call and it is over 24 hrs now and it looks like I'll have to call them before the end of the day.

Even the customer service agent with whom I talked to was saying that I had overstayed at a charging station which resulted in this additional charge. But, I always use DCFC, I have never come across any NRG's station which doesn't stop charging at 30 mins and their charging summary for the month doesn't have any such charging session.

Planning another trip north on I-5 to Canada. Looked like the Tacoma and Marysville chargers would work for me, but I certainly don't want to get into a dispute with this company. Is there some way to avoid it by using a credit card to charge rather than a membership card?

leafo said:
For the last 10 months, I've had ok payment management with NRG. But, this month, their systems seems to be acting up. They have overcharged me for about $20, which isn't explained by the charging summary that they send me every month (starting from the last 4-5 months). So, I called them up and they seem to have opened a ticket and told me they'll call me within 24 hrs to give an initial explanation of the charge. I'm still waiting for their call and it is over 24 hrs now and it looks like I'll have to call them before the end of the day.

Even the customer service agent with whom I talked to was saying that I had overstayed at a charging station which resulted in this additional charge. But, I always use DCFC, I have never come across any NRG's station which doesn't stop charging at 30 mins and their charging summary for the month doesn't have any such charging session.

I have had persistent problems with the eVgo accounting/billing dept. Currently I am contesting the charges where they lumped my L2 + DCFC usage into a total time, which they charge $0.10/min. I should be charged $1.00/hr for L2, so I was overcharged. Unfortunately, I have not been successful in correcting the charges. Here is the last email informing me they will not change the statement:

"I have attached the usage data on your keycard and account. The refund for the level 2 charges will not be processed as our chargers will not read your keycard without a swipe attempt. The data presented is accurate."

When I get home from vacation, I will call eVgo and request clarification of their email.
Very frustrating dealing with such an incompetent bunch.

This is concerning as NRG seems to be taking over L3 in Colorado right now. I am really excited that we suddenly have enough L3 stations to get anywhere on the I25 corridor, but very concerned about not getting billed properly. Worried about dealing with a company that doesn't even have a way to see usage and billing online. Seems ridiculous.

The stupid thing about them having problems like this is that each of these customer contacts and the research they need to do costs them money, since they need to have sufficient staff on hand.

For some cases, this can end up costing NRG eVgo more than the disputed amounts.

I'm glad (?) I'm not a customer of theirs...

I would expect the hard part of the business is keeping the chargers working and only allowing authorized people to use them. The billing would seem to be a no brainer in comparison. I wonder if it contracted out the receivables process and now has interface issues between charging systems and the 3rd party billing systems.

mjblazin said:
I would expect the hard part of the business is keeping the chargers working and only allowing authorized people to use them. The billing would seem to be a no brainer in comparison. I wonder if it contracted out the receivables process and now has interface issues between charging systems and the 3rd party billing systems.

It is ironic that a company that has trouble maintaining a good website and billing service can still have very reliable L2s/QCs at their sites [at least the ones I use]. The physical hardware may be contracted out to another party, and maybe that's why they are quite reliable. OTOH, the customer services and billing may be handled in-house; just my speculation.

Back