Nissan Leaf not Charging with 220 L2 Charger or 110v L1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafAlpha

Hi All,

I have an interesting issue with my Leaf. I installed the 220V L2 charger that Nissan shipped to me. I have been using it successfully for an entire month. My car would charge to 100% with ease within a couple of hours instead of 18-24 hours with the 110v provided. I came back from a weekend trip noticed that the circuit breaker in the basement was popped that only has the 220V charger plugged into it.

This is what is happening. When I plug in the 220V charger my mini charging station lights up under "charging car." Then, after one minute I hear a click in the charging station and the car makes a lighter noise and the car stops charging. The light on the 220V charger still is green and says ready, but no longer has the light that says "charging car" lit. Then, to test whether it was the charger or my car I plugged in the 110V and the same issue occurred once again. It would charge for one minute, I would hear a click from the car and it would stop charging.

I'm thinking it may be just a faulty 40 Amp circuit breaker that I bought, but why would it charge for one minute? I get the one blue light blinking all the way to the left of the three lights indicating it is charging.

My next step was to plug the 110V L1 charger into another breaker outlet and the same issue occurred. It would charge for one minute and then a clicking noise from the car and it would stop charging. The L1 charger would have the green light saying reading, but no charge.

My car is still at 11%, but I feel the chargers think the car is full.

I have a feeling it could be something with the car possibly that may be disconnected on the inside? Anyone run into this issue before using a house delivered L2 or L1 charger from Nissan? Any suggestions?

I'm going to hopefully make it to Nissan tomorrow once I setup an appointment. All other charging station would possibly put me in a bind if I tried that first, then tried to make it to Nissan.

Good luck. If it charges OK away from home, then what might have changed if you had no trouble charging for a month? The 240 breaker wouldn't explain the same behavior on a separate 120 line. Maybe a loose main ground wire? Just guessing.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
On second thought, some cars have had bad charge controllers. Could also be related to a low 12V battery?

Yes. If you have a 12 volt battery charger, try charging the car's accessory battery for 30 minutes, then plugging it in again. Connect positive to the battery positive, and negative to the big motor-like housing in the center of the "engine" compartment. Being away a month could have killed the 12 volt battery.

Please check if the charging timer in the car is set. That will keep the car from charging outside of its active period. Though, if this is the case, the blue lights on the dash should be flashing in sequence.

When you described the blue light being on the left, which way are you facing?

Is that light flashing only during that first minute of charging?

Thanks for all the responses!! Here is an update of some of the questions:

1. When I face my car the light blinks to my left. If I sat in my driver seat it would be the first light on the right.
2. I also thought it was the charging timer. I clicked the off button a dozen of times and then double checked the menus to ensure the charging timer was off.
3. I haven't had a change to take out the accessory battery. I will give that a shot when I get home.
4. As for grounds, those are all installed properly.
5. I only went on a 2 day trip. My fiancee did tell me that when she plugged it in Saturday night using the 220V L2 charger that the car went from 10% to 30% Sunday. That perplexes me because from Saturday night to Sunday morning should have easily put a full charge on the Leaf. I have experience 2-1/2-3 hour charge times from 20% battery to 100%. Which, leads me to believe possibly the L2 charger is bad?e

A little background on my Nissan Leaf to help with troubleshooting:
2015 Nissan Leaf S
Bought it in March of 2015
2,000 miles on it

And as a funny side note I totally felt guilty that I was driving my fiancees gas engine in today, haha #ecowarrior.

Once again all thank you so much for your help with this issue. I'm going to try to setup an appointment with Nissan today and hopefully I will make it to the dealer! I'll update once I have this fully dealt with.

There is no need to remove the accessory battery to charge it! Nor a need to disconnect it. Just connect it to the charger using the inverter housing or the frame for the negative connection.

Hi my fellow Leafers. DNAinaGoodWay wins! Just brought the 15 Leaf to Nissan and the Leaf mechanic said he's heard about this issue but I'm the first one to bring it to him. It was the charge controllers that were broke. I guess they don't keep them in stock so it's a 2 day fix to help with shipping and I'm back to being green! Thanks all for your help with this issue!!! :)

Back