EVSE Upgrade, or convert HCS-40 to HCS-40P?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asemeco

I want an EVSE that can use 14-30 or 14-50 outlets at campgrounds. I have a 2015 S with a 6.6 kW charger.

Should I upgrade my Nissan-supplied EVSE For $287 + $25 + $37.95?
(Upgrade + 120V adapter + 14-XX adapter)

Or should I convert my ClipperCreek HCS-40? I can put a 14-50 plug on the EVSE and a matching outlet on the wall. It is less than two feet from the box to the EVSE, so upgrading the wiring should not be a big problem.

I don't plan to do this campground thing more than once a year, so it is acceptable to dismount the big HCS-40 from the wall.

Would I be creating electrical/fire risks by converting the HCS-40?

Definitely just upgrade the HCS-40. Clipper Creek sells it with or without a plug, so that's not a problem. If you have any questions, just call Clipper Creek customer service. They are very helpful.

asemeco said:
I want an EVSE that can use 14-30 or 14-50 outlets at campgrounds. I have a 2015 S with a 6.6 kW charger.

Should I upgrade my Nissan-supplied EVSE For $287 + $25 + $37.95?
(Upgrade + 120V adapter + 14-XX adapter)

Or should I convert my ClipperCreek HCS-40? I can put a 14-50 plug on the EVSE and a matching outlet on the wall. It is less than two feet from the box to the EVSE, so upgrading the wiring should not be a big problem.

I don't plan to do this campground thing more than once a year, so it is acceptable to dismount the big HCS-40 from the wall.

Would I be creating electrical/fire risks by converting the HCS-40?
Really depends on how you do it, but there's no particular problem with what you're suggesting. All you're really talking about is wiring a 40A-capable plug and receptacle in the line, which is legitimate. Are you talking about using Clipper Creek's wiring and flex conduit and just putting the 14-50 plug on the end?

Are you talking about using Clipper Creek's wiring and flex conduit and just putting the 14-50 plug on the end?
I understand that the requirements are different for a permanent connection vs. one using a plug. If the EVSE's own wiring needs upgrading (like from #8 to #6), I hope I can do it without much trouble.

I'll check with CC's customer support, just in case. Maybe they can sell me a pigtail plug to replace the conduit.

asemeco said:
Are you talking about using Clipper Creek's wiring and flex conduit and just putting the 14-50 plug on the end?
I understand that the requirements are different for a permanent connection vs. one using a plug. If the EVSE's own wiring needs upgrading (like from #8 to #6), I hope I can do it without much trouble.

I'll check with CC's customer support, just in case. Maybe they can sell me a pigtail plug to replace the conduit.
I wasn't meaning to imply any of that, actually. What I was really thinking was, there could be difficulty using their conduit with a connector and have strain relief and waterproofing. That being said, there are 14-50 cables available on Amazon for something like $12, so if you can get the EVSE open easily enough, connecting one of those up is probably the way to go.

ishiyakazuo said:
... That being said, there are 14-50 cables available on Amazon for something like $12, so if you can get the EVSE open easily enough, connecting one of those up is probably the way to go.
Yes, if you were to do this you would get a 50a range cord, connect it to the HCS-40, and saw off the neutral pin. Install a 14-50 in your garage connected to your existing wiring. You'd be able to plug it into a 14-50, or a 14-30...but...

The HCS-40 has no way to dial down the charge rate, so it would be possible to draw too much current from a 14-30. Unfortunately, current LEAFs with the 6kW charger top out at 27.5a which is also too much to draw from a 14-30. Finally, the HCS-40 wasn't designed to be portable and subjecting it to lots of moving around might be asking for a problem. The EVSE upgrade has none of these issues. It tops out at 20a (or 24a?) and can be dialed down for even smaller circuits. It was designed to be portable, so it will handle being moved better. Finally it can ride in the car all the time...no dismounting and remounting of your HCS-40.

That said, I've never seen a 14-30 at a campground, only 14-50s, TT-30s (120v 30a), and 5-20/15s. For that use and for only once a year you could get by with the converted HCS-40. Just don't try to use it with a smaller than 40a circuit. You could even just get by with the stock Nissan EVSE and limp along with 120v charging.

Eventually I will do the EVSEUpgrade. But for now, as a one-time thing, it is going to cost me less and I will be able to take advantage of my 6.6 kW OBC.

The HCS-40 should not be plugged to a 14-30 outlet, right? Only 14-50.

asemeco said:
Eventually I will do the EVSEUpgrade. But for now, as a one-time thing, it is going to cost me less and I will be able to take advantage of my 6.6 kW OBC.

The HCS-40 should not be plugged to a 14-30 outlet, right? Only 14-50.
Correct. Just don't make it compatible with a 14-30 by modifying the plug and don't move it around more than you have to, and you'll be OK. But if you're going to to do get the EVSE Upgrade "eventually" anyway, I'd just do it now. The EVSE Upgrade still takes advantage of your 6kW charger, just not full advantage (24a instead of 27.5a)...still plenty for overnight charging while you're camping.

Lots of EV drivers use our JESLA portable charge cable just for campgrounds.

It's the only J1772 unit that can automatically adjust amperage based on which of several available plugs are used. In addition, when at public camp grounds, JESLA is the only one that will provide full amperage on a 120 volt TT-30 outlet (30 amp RV service). Even the EVSEupgrade will automatically limit your 120 volt charge to 12 amps or less.

So for a LEAF, only JESLA will allow the full 27.5 amps on both 120 volt and 240 volt (50 amp RV service with NEMA 14-50 outlet).

NOTE: Adaptor required for NEMA 10-30 female (outlet) to TT-30 male (plug) to use 30 amp RV service at full speed with JESLA:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Service-Build-a-custom-adapter-30-Amp-Adapter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The JESLA 40 amp (9.6kW) J1772 / Type 1 premium portable charging cable works at up to full power on every known J1772 equipped vehicle in the world.

JESLA was designed specifically with the unique 40 amp Tesla onboard charger that is in a Mercedes B-Class ED, Toyota RAV4 EV, and of course Tesla cars, but it also works equally fantastic with cars like the BMW i3, Fiat 500e, Chevy Volt, Kia Soul EV or Nissan LEAF. It is ultra flexible, light weight (only 8 pounds total!), and portable, PLUS it adjusts from 100 to 250 volts and 12 to 40 amps, automatically. You don't have to know anything about electricity and no installation required;

Just Plug-N-Charge(tm)!!!

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, a padlock, plus a carrying bag. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for your dryer (handy for visiting friends or relatives at their house) or for motel air conditioners:

...........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15* ......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 120 V / 16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50*.....RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW (LEAF will stop at 27.5 amps, 6.6kW)

The JESLA is just like the Tesla: I wish I had the money. It is exactly what I need.
I just heard from Clipper Creek: Modifying the HCS-40 may void the warranty and makes it rated for indoor use only.
So, the EVSE Upgrade is looking better.
I wish the JESLA was available two years ago, when I bought the Clipper Creek.

asemeco said:
The JESLA is just like the Tesla: I wish I had the money. It is exactly what I need.
I just heard from Clipper Creek: Modifying the HCS-40 may void the warranty and makes it rated for indoor use only.

Almost two years! We started in the summer of 2013, and I carried the very first one with me on BC2BC-2013.

asemeco said:

My sense is that having a portable EVSE for 240 volts is part of owning the car. If you can't afford Jesla, then definitely go with EVSE Upgrade. That was the first thing we did after we installed the HCS-40-C6 and we're quite pleased with it and the service they provide. I would not want to haul around the HCS-40, even for one trip. It wasn't designed for that. It works fine on the wall.

Of course ClipperCreek also makes a portable EVSE in the same class as EVSE Upgrade. We saw one in use last Sunday at the Flying J truck stop in Lebec, California, charging a Ford EV.

Paul

Back