Different Level 2 EVSEs Charge to Different Levels?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALF

I've wondered about this for a long time: When I fully charge (the EVSE turns off) my '12 LEAF at different Level 2 EVSEs, the G-O-M shows a wide range of values (between 85mi. and 105mi.) when I first turn the car on. And, it appears that certain EVSEs uniformly yield a higher G-O-M range. The AeroEnvironment charger at my Nissan dealer is always >100mi., the Blink charger at my work is always about 90mi., and the Schneider charger at home is always about 85mi. This has never made sense to me, as it is the on-board charger that tells the EVSE to turn off, right? So, it shouldn't matter which brand of Level 2 EVSE the LEAF is using.

Of course, its called a G-O-M for a reason; perhaps the differences in range shown aren't real.

GOM readings are based on the last few miles of driving. The difference in this case is the miles you drove before plugging in. Do you drive uphill to get home?

I agree, the GoM isn't what you can base it on.

That said, I've found my home L2 consistently charges a few percentage points higher than the Blinks I'm used around town for "full."
Only a few percentage points, though, so not significant.
(Nowhere near the 20-30 percent below full a DCFC will leave me, but I don't usually want a "full" at a DCFC anyway...)

desiv

The EVSE pilot sets the current level but it says nothing about the voltage. If you have a Blink at home it is likely charging at 24A at 240V, A commercial Blink is likely hooked up to 208V ( common commercial power) so it will still charge at 24A but at 208V. Some people like Phil Childs bump the power back to 240V with a stepup transformer. Going all the way, you can exceed the 240V by 10% and still be in spec.

The only to get more charging power is to mess with the voltage. For example a late model Leaf SL will charge at 27.5A an any EVSE greater than 28A. More available current is simply ignored.

Blink chargers started out at a full 30A but they experienced over heating problems. They sent out a change to 24A to all lan connected EVSEs.

AlanSqB said:
GOM readings are based on the last few miles of driving. The difference in this case is the miles you drove before plugging in. Do you drive uphill to get home?

I DO drive uphill to get home, and I drive downhill to get to work. I drive on level roads to get to my dealer though, which always yields the greatest GoM range. Still, it is on small roads, so the overall speed to get to the dealer is below average.

Differences in the current and voltage supplied by the EVSE might yield differences in charging RATE, but not eventual total charge, right?

Given enough time any EVSE, even a 120V one will fully charge the battery. Remember the EVSE is just a safe way to connect power to the internal charger. That charger controls all aspects of charging. At L2 levels it starts to reduce the current above 80%. When you charge to 100% it also conditions the battery through shunts to equalize the charge.

The GOM is rightfully called the " guess o meter". Get leaf spy or the apple equivalent for good information.

ALF said:
AlanSqB said:

I DO dive uphill to get home, and I drive downhill to get to work. I drive on level roads to get to my dealer though, which always yields the greatest GoM range. Still, it is on small roads, so the overall speed to get to the dealer is below average.

Differences in the current and voltage supplied by the EVSE might yield differences in charging RATE, but not eventual total charge, right?
The total charge will be the same. The GOM range tells what you can do with that charge, based on recent consumption and driving style.

Back