New Charging Station on the Market

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

These are made and installed by Telefonix.

What's great about them is:
1. They require no access card, so the charge is free
2. They are small and compact and are wired to a 20 amp circuit, thus making them way less expensive to
install.
3. Ideal for locations where the car will be for 4 hours or so, like universities, airports, motels, movie theaters,
condos.
4. The 110 V unit sells for something like $1,500 and the 220v unit is $1,850

Attachments

• l1_and_l2_powerpost_evses.jpg
    l1_and_l2_powerpost_evses.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 235
Do you have a website? Given the entry cost, the wire diff for 20 vs. 30 amp would be small, but its nice to have options and things you can point to to help encourage smaller businesses to offer this a a service to attract customers.

The L1 version's not that new (http://www.l1powerpost.com/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

http://www.l1powerpost.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.l1powerpost.com/shop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never seen any of these in the wild. The only place I saw one was at a semi-unrelated booth at CES 2015, a few months ago.

I saw those a week or two ago, when I was looking at options available so that I can make a good pitch to my boss to get some installed at the office. Even the L1 would do the trick for me. Kind of curious why it needs a 20A circuit if it's L1 though... does L1 support 16A @ 120V?

cwerdna said:
The L1 version's not that new (http://www.l1powerpost.com/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

http://www.l1powerpost.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.l1powerpost.com/shop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never seen any of these in the wild. The only place I saw one was at a semi-unrelated booth at CES 2015, a few months ago.

Allen Will, Director of Business Development and Programs, gave a talk about them at a recent Green Energy conference I attended in Rockford. ([email protected] They are located in Waukegan, Il)

He said they were in several airports..Denver, LA, I think and others..I don't remember.

Anyway a very nice presentation.

ishiyakazuo said:
Kind of curious why it needs a 20A circuit if it's L1 though... does L1 support 16A @ 120V?
Apparently, '13+ Leafs can: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=357991#p357991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There might be other vehicles that support over 12 amps @ 120 volts, if the EVSE emits a pilot indicating it can (https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Well, color me surprised! OK then.
To be honest, I'm kind of looking for an EVSE that would only pull 120V @ 6~8A so I could use it on a non-dedicated circuit without getting into too much trouble. Sounds silly, but if I could get even just 1-2 miles/hr back, that would be really useful during a 9 hour work day (since my commute is about 20 miles). Then I could just plug in to an exposed outlet at work and hope that nothing bad happens. Kind of wondering if I should build an OpenEVSE just for that purpose...

In testing my EVSE My LEAF will draw 27.5 amps at 120v. I can plug into a RV-30 outlet at a RV park if they don't have the NEMA 14-50's and pull nearly the whole circuit at 120v :)

VegasBrad said:
In testing my EVSE My LEAF will draw 27.5 amps at 120v. I can plug into a RV-30 outlet at a RV park if they don't have the NEMA 14-50's and pull nearly the whole circuit at 120v :)
Nice! OK, now I kind of wish I went with a used 2013 instead of a 2012...

VegasBrad said:
Probably should limit the draw to 24 amps continuous.
And check your plug connection at 20 minutes and one hour for heat.
These 30a RV connectors are notoriously worn, pitted and corroded adding resistance to the connection.

smkettner said:
VegasBrad said:
Probably should limit the draw to 24 amps continuous.
And check your plug connection at 20 minutes and one hour for heat.
These 30a RV connectors are notoriously worn, pitted and corroded adding resistance to the connection.

I can verify that my 2013 Leaf would also draw 27.5A at 120V. I understand that the Tesla based EV's like my B Class can also draw heavy current from 120V but I have not tested it. At home I have a fully wired 14-50R so 240V is available. So is 50A at 120V but why when you can charge twice as fast on 240V.

I guess I'm missing something. These prices are ridiculous for units that don't support billing. I can buy ClipperCreek for a quarter of the price and get the exact same functionality...and better quality. You can get units suitable for commercial installs in 15a, 20a, 32a, and 48a. The low power isn't much of a selling point.

We just put in a bunch of these Telefonix L2 Power Post units at our workplace in San Diego (something like 80 of them)...We are using a backend system from Liberty Access Technologies for billing.

Dave, these units come with an integral cord management system (internal cord reel), and that was attractive to our Facilities staff. We have quite a few of the Clipper Creek units installed on campus already, and they do work great. However, in a workplace environment you really have to install a separate solution for cord management on the CC units or drivers will just leave them spread out on the ground. The CC units do have the "wings" on the top and bottom to wrap the cord around, but most of our users tend to ignore those and just leave the cords loose. On the Telefonix units, you just give the cord a tug (like a projector screen) and the cords go back inside the tower...

The units we installed are Level 2 at 14 amps, and they work well...The lower power aspect of the units turns out to be nice when you're installing a large quantity of EVSE to help with infrastructure requirements, but yet they replenish quite a few miles over the course of a day for our drivers. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them....

Randy said:
We just put in a bunch of these Telefonix L2 Power Post units at our workplace in San Diego (something like 80 of them)...We are using a backend system from Liberty Access Technologies for billing.

Dave, these units come with an integral cord management system (internal cord reel), ....
Well, if they support billing, that's a horse of a different color. The OP implied they didn't, but maybe he just meant that you didn't have to use it. Are you issuing RFID fobs, or is there some other method? I can see how the cord reel could be helpful. Is it better than the one on the GE stations? They don't seem to work well at all...of course a thinner cable would help with that.

The Telefonix EVSE (like the Clipper Creek units) doesn't have any built-in provision for metering or billing. We are using a third party product from Liberty Access Technologies that performs the user authentication, metering, and control functions of the downstream EVSE and reports billing and usage data to our backend system. This product will work on most any of the non-networked EVSE on the market.

Randy said:
The Telefonix EVSE (like the Clipper Creek units) doesn't have any built-in provision for metering or billing. We are using a third party product from Liberty Access Technologies that performs the user authentication, metering, and control functions of the downstream EVSE and reports billing and usage data to our backend system. This product will work on most any of the non-networked EVSE on the market.

Does this system just turn the EVSE on and off through its main power? Is there an enable/disable signal option on these and other that this backend system uses?

Latest posts

Back