Relying solely on level 1 charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

I have level 1 charging available at my work. Because I can charge during the day there, I don't see a need to install a level 2 at home and plan to just rely on level 1 charging from an outdoor outlet at my home for nights/weekends. There is a something in the owners manual about Nissan not recommend level 1 charging. Why is that? Am I going to blow up the car (or my place of business or home) by only using level 1?

No. There are two issues, though. You need a circuit with nothing else on it except maybe a light or two for charging your car, and this can be a problem. Also, you need a very good quality outlet (a new one is a good idea) with very good wiring. If you have to use an extension cord it has to be 12 gauge for safety, and the connections have to be tight and not get hot. Finally, you shouldn't be constantly plugging in and unplugging the EVSE (charging cable) as this will wear both the outlet and the plug on the EVSE. If you can, just leave it plugged in. I've used L-1 only at home since 5/31/13.

I hope/trust you're kidding, and even then I wouldn't use the words 'blow up'... save that for questions about fuel cell vehicles ;-) .

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the manual. Can you quote it (or give chapter/page number)? I think a fair percentage of drivers, including myself, rely heavily on level 1 -- even if only while waiting or deciding on a level 2 installation -- without any problems. All I can imagine is that Nissan slightly discourages it because of how long it can take and they don't want that number to "stick" in the public's consciousness.

Rogue said:
I have level 1 charging available at my work. Because I can charge during the day there, I don't see a need to install a level 2 at home and plan to just rely on level 1 charging from an outdoor outlet at my home for nights/weekends. There is a something in the owners manual about Nissan not recommend level 1 charging. Why is that? Am I going to blow up the car (or my place of business or home) by only using level 1?

on page CH-7 of my 2014 Owners Manual, in the "Trickle charge" section, just after the page with the "Charging Time Information" bar graph with a blue bar for "Normal Charge", a green bar for "Trickle Charge" and an orange bar for "Quick charge", it says

Trickle charging is not recommended for regular use. Trickle charge can be used when it is necessary to perform an emergency charge at a destination such as a friend's house.

That said, I know lots of people who do nothing but L1 charging, and I haven't heard of problems. But, since it's in the manual, Nissan is covered ;)

I believe that's the only place in the manual where this appears. There is nothing in the "How to Trickle Charge" section on page CH-11.

I think Nissan is more concerned about the customer satisfaction. Most people would not be satisfied with the car if they could not get a full charge overnight.

Rogue said:
... There is a something in the owners manual about Nissan not recommend level 1 charging. Why is that? Am I going to blow up the car (or my place of business or home) by only using level 1?
What happens will depend on several factors.
Nissan does not like 120V use partly because of the lengthy time required.
But it is also a safety issue.

120V should only be used if inspected and shown to be appropriate for lengthy electric vehicle charging.
Using 120V outlets without doing proper inspection and in many cases the needed replacements to make them safe to use is a bad practice.
Unfortunately that is what a large % of people do.

Just because you find a 120V outlet in your garage or in a public place does not mean it is safe to use.

TimLee said:
Here is the important information again:
TimLee said:
A repeat of my input from previous questions on 120 V EVSE use:
Note that Nissan recommends the 120V EVSE for limited emergency use only.
Some people have used it for a long time without problems yet, but in general that is a bad idea unless you have a newly properly installed dedicated circuit with high grade receptacle using properly tightened screw connections.

Previous info from another thread:
mikelb said:
Trickle charging should be safe, though, right? I wouldn't necessarily need to have the circuit certified for it or anything, should I? If I were to go to a friend's house, would I be safe plugging into their outlet?
How safe 120V charging is depends on how lucky you are.
Very few garages have the correct properly installed high quality single outlet supplied by a single breaker.
Code only allows using 80% of the circuit rating for a long term continuous load.
So on a 15 amp circuit nothing else should be on the same circuit while the car is charging.
And a lot of 120V gets put in poorly using push in connections.
One person had a bad fire most likely from staples that had damaged the cable in the wall.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784&hilit=+fire#p352567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you everyone for your replies. Question has been answered. As long as you are ok with slow charging and your wiring is good, there is generally nothing wrong with the trickle charge. Outlet in question is almost a dedicated outlet (one overhead porch light is on the same circuit), it has a GFI on the outlet, and it is also on an AFCI 15 amp breaker. I'll check the wiring itself on warmer day, but for now I'm good with taking my chances on it. :)

335eb9e.jpg

Not all 120 volt wiring is safe.
This LEAF owner also thought that 120 volt charging was perfectly safe. Please read this thread start to finish. This picture was from page 5.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Houses catch fire from dryers, ovens, heating pads, and generally bad wiring all the time, yet millions of people across the world still use these appliances and electricity every day. There are also instances where fires have happened from level 2 chargers...
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/feds-probe-2013-nissan-leaf-fire-traced-to-charger.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/charger-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is just one big calculated risk. :)

Rogue said:
Houses catch fire from dryers, ovens, heating pads, and generally bad wiring all the time, yet millions of people across the world still use these appliances and electricity every day.
Exactly. Safety and proper installation and inspection of the outlet is a separate issue. If trickle charging does not hurt the battery or any other components, then Nissan should not "recommend against it". They might make it very clear that the wiring should be good and up to spec, or say why they prefer L2 over L1, but not effectively suggest that L1 is inferior or dangerous.

Back