Brands for >30amp J1772 connectors?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphinx

Does anyone other than Dostar make a J1772 that can handle > than 30amps? I believe they make a 50amp that TusconEV and others sell. Surely there have to be others. I've scoured the web and come up empty.

How many amps will a Leaf with QC pull? 30-32amp, correct?

J1772 will only put AC into the car. ClipperCreek has a 32 Ah charger and some even higher ones but only the Tesla could take advantage of them and Leviton has a 40 Ah charger (for the new Rav4 EV).
Most of our evs now are in the 28 -32 Ah range for AC charging and you would have to use QC if you want more. There are some companies providing 25kW and lower QC chargers but the cost for home use are just too high.
If your car charges around 30 Ah then you will get a nice fill overnight
greetings
e

We have our unique 40 amp J-Plug cable / plug assembly. Also, a 50 amp. Soon, we will have our unique 80 amp cable /plug:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, elementary question: Does the 6.6kw charger = CHADeMo only or does the 6.6 also allow a bigger draw on the J1772?

Thanks Tony. Again, these are all Dostars per your site. Is Dostar the only option on the market for more than 30amp?

johnrhansen said:
You'd want a higher current evse for future proofing more than anything else.

Correct. I'm building a Jesla. I have access to all of the professional crimping equipment. But I wanted to know all of my options for connectors. I came across an 80 amp handle earlier tonight, but I don't know who makes it.

sphinx said:
So, elementary question: Does the 6.6kw charger = CHADeMo only or does the 6.6 also allow a bigger draw on the J1772?
They have nothing to do with the other.
Nissan created the confusion on the LEAF S by putting the two things together in an option package called the Charging package.
The option package gets you two things:
The CHADeMo DCQC which is standard on the SL and in an option package on the SV that also has LED low beam headlights.
And the 6.6 kW from the wall J1772 on board charger that is standard on both the SV and SL.

Bundling them together in the S option package makes no changes on either one.

sphinx said:

There is no connection or association with CHAdeMO (125 to 200 amps @ 400-ish volts off-board DC charger) with J1772 (6-80 amp AC 120-240 volts power delivery to an onboard charger)

Thanks Tony. Again, these are all Dostars per your site. Is Dostar the only option on the market for more than 30amp?

We have spent a lot of time helping them improve their product, and we only offer our version of the Dostar. I don't know of any other source for over 30/32 amps.

Correct. I'm building a Jesla. I have access to all of the professional crimping equipment. But I wanted to know all of my options for connectors. I came across an 80 amp handle earlier tonight, but I don't know who makes it.

There's a lot of mislabeled stuff out there in the big Internet. I found a site offering the 50 amp cable as a 70 amp cable. Good luck.

The available current is not revelent as long as it is greater than the car charger requires. A Leaf with the enhanced charger will draw 27.5A on a 28A eves, a 30A EVSE, or the max 80A EVSE. More current is ignored. I used to have a 16A 2012 Leaf charging on a 30A EVSE. Everything above 16A was ignored.

These guys make a unit that they claim can deliver up to 40 amps:

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/171-juicebox-classic-40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As previously stated, though, with the LEAF, at least, it will never pull more than ~30 amps.

ObjetDart said:
These guys make a unit that they claim can deliver up to 40 amps:

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/171-juicebox-classic-40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As previously stated, though, with the LEAF, at least, it will never pull more than ~30 amps.

I think they even went as far as claiming it was a "15kW" unit, based on it having a "60 amp" relay, while all the actual hardware was not 60 amp rated.

We offer our 12, 16, 24 and 40 amp JESLA, a true portable with automatic voltage and amperage control based on the appropriate plug used. No knowledge of electronics required... just "plug-n-play" and everything else is automatic.

Next month, we will release our low-cost JAMP JR that will be availble in 16, 24, 32 or 40 amp versions. This summer, we will introduce JAMP SR in 48, 56, 64, 72 and 80 amp versions.

Both JAMP JR, JAMP SR and JESLA will be made available with a timer capability in the near future.

My personal opinion is that, for home charging, anything more than 30 amps is rarely ever needed... Over four years, I can count on one hand the total number of times charging faster than my meager 3.3Kw (16 amps) would have been of any real value...

TomT said:
My personal opinion is that, for home charging, anything more than 30 amps is rarely ever needed... Over four years, I can count on one hand the total number of times charging faster than my meager 3.3Kw (16 amps) would have been of any real value...

My experiences are just the opposite, and why one size doesn't fit all.

We just had two RAV4 EV's travel almost 400 miles each to attend our breakfast in San Diego... you can't make a one day trip like that at 16 amps.

I frequently drive up to the LA area, and that's 120 miles each way. I couldn't do that very normal SoCal type trip at 16 amps.

For people who just puttering around in a small radius around their house, sure, charge slow.

Just to clarify, 16 amps can refuel the LEAF overnight with its current 24kWh advertised capacity battery, but for midday home charging like I do, it would be a complete waste of time (and was when I had two 16 amp capable Nissan LEAF's).

Back