Quick Charge Power - JAMP JR EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

We just signed up to be an advertiser on this forum, so I'm happy to report that we will be releasing JAMP JR, one of the lowest cost charge station in the business.

Available March 1, 2015.

All you need is a 50 amp circuit, and a NEMA 14-50R outlet, and JAMP JR will charge your LEAF (and any LEAF) at full speed.

$499 suggested retail price

25 foot super lightweight and flexible cable (our own custom design), 40 amp capable plug.

NEMA 14-50 plug with 3 feet of cable on the other end.

Indicator light showing status.

Super durable case, premium components

imagejpg1-9.jpg

Most existing non-HVAC, non-stove 240 volt circuits are 30 amps, though, correct? Unless you can use your range outlet to plug in, a new circuit will likely be required.

LeftieBiker said:
Most existing non-HVAC, non-stove 240 volt circuits are 30 amps, though, correct? Unless you can use your range outlet to plug in, a new circuit will likely be required.

Spas, Pool pumps, welders, air conditioners, etc, are frequently on 50 amp circuits. Hot water tanks, ovens, dryers are on 30 amp circuits.

It doesn't matter what the other circuits are, since each 240 volt appliance is dedicated to one breaker. For our JAMP JR Model 40-50, it would require a 50 amp circuit.

TonyWilliams said:
We just signed up to be an advertiser on this forum, so I'm happy to report that we will be releasing JAMP JR, one of the lowest cost charge station in the business.

Available March 1, 2015.

All you need is a 50 amp circuit, and a NEMA 14-50R outlet, and JAMP JR will charge your LEAF (and any LEAF) at full speed.

$499 suggested retail price

25 foot super lightweight and flexible cable (our own custom design), 40 amp capable plug.

NEMA 14-50 plug with 3 feet of cable on the other end.

Indicator light showing status.

Super durable case, premium components
Looks good Tony. What is the EVSE board based on? Is it OpenEVSE? What about the firmware - OpenEVSE?

Yes, the newest OPENevse.

Chris Howell will be supplying all our boards, as we supply him with J1772 cables and plugs.

Our future JESLA NextGen will also be based on OPENevse, however we will continue to sell the JESLA Classic.

HI Tony -

I'm about to purchase a 2011, and am looking for a way to charge faster than stock. My fist idea was to use an external charger through the Chademo port at ~7.5 kW. Because there's no way to charge faster than 3.3 kW through the J1772 that I'm aware of.

I'm a bit confused about what this product does? It promises to shove 40A into the Leaf's J1772? How does that work with a 3.3 kW onboard charger in the way? :confused: I guess "full speed" means 3.3 for me, and 6.6 for the newer cars?

Who has the solution for faster charging of the 3.3 cars?

darelldd said:
HI Tony -

I'm about to purchase a 2011, and am looking for a way to charge faster than stock. My fist idea was to use an external charger through the Chademo port at ~7.5 kW. Because there's no way to charge faster than 3.3 kW through the J1772 that I'm aware of.

I'm a bit confused about what this product does? It promises to shove 40A into the Leaf's J1772? How does that work with a 3.3 kW onboard charger in the way? :confused: I guess "full speed" means 3.3 for me, and 6.6 for the newer cars?

I was wondering the same. I have not checked, but I wonder what the max voltage that the stock charger can take? In theory one could raise the voltage without raising amps to get more power in. Would not require new cables this way. Stepping up AC voltage is less complicated than bucking DC voltage.

3.3kWh is the maximum rate for the 2011 on L2 no matter what the charging station is capable of. See the Brusa thread on this forum if you want a modification to charge faster.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darelldd said:
HI Tony -

darelldd said:
I'm a bit confused about what this product does? It promises to shove 40A into the Leaf's J1772? How does that work with a 3.3 kW onboard charger in the way? :confused: I guess "full speed" means 3.3 for me, and 6.6 for the newer cars? Who has the solution for faster charging of the 3.3 cars?

Sorry Darell, that is what I also hoped for at first, but it still is J1772, which means it is using the Leaf's onboard charger. Unless he releases a charger that uses the Chademo port, a 2011 or 1012 Leaf is still limited to 3.3kW. Our only option that I am aware of is adding a Brusa 3.3kW auxiliary charger, for a total of 6.6kW.

I'm somewhat surprised that we lack a DC solution for faster home charging. I thought for sure I could just waltz in here and find one of these smart folks with this product already selling.

With a reasonable home-installed 50A circuit, any Leaf with a CHADEMO could be charged faster if there existed this "small fast charger" solution. I can certainly see a market for a device that could make use of 30-50A, 208-240VDC. Maybe all the connectors and the charger itself makes this cost prohibitive? Building it for off-board use would sure be a lot easier than trying to integrate it into the car. And an off-board solution makes is more transferrable and sharable, etc. More universal, instead of just being tied to one car.

Oops. I should start a new thread, and stop hi-jacking Tony's... unless he's about to tell me that his company has what I'm looking for!

It has been done see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one is not isolated and the plug does not lock.

eMotorWerks has been working on this but lately has been very quiet.

darelldd said:
I'm somewhat surprised that we lack a DC solution for faster home charging. I thought for sure I could just waltz in here and find one of these smart folks with this product already selling.

With a reasonable home-installed 50A circuit, any Leaf with a CHADEMO could be charged faster if there existed this "small fast charger" solution. I can certainly see a market for a device that could make use of 30-50A, 208-240VDC. Maybe all the connectors and the charger itself makes this cost prohibitive? Building it for off-board use would sure be a lot easier than trying to integrate it into the car. And an off-board solution makes is more transferrable and sharable, etc. More universal, instead of just being tied to one car.

Oops. I should start a new thread, and stop hi-jacking Tony's... unless he's about to tell me that his company has what I'm looking for!

The charge rate of your car is determined by the lowest power of either:

*the onboard car charger*

******or******

*the charge cable*

So, the 2011 and 2012 LEAF will charge at 3.8kW / 3.3kW (16 amps @ 240 volts) maximum.

The newer LEAF's with the 6.6kW / 6.0kW charger will charge at 27.5 amps @ 240 volts maximum.

The JAMP JR with a NEMA 14-50R outlet to plug into will charge both cars at the FASTEST rate.

We will have the following models:

JAMP JR

16 amps (3.8kW) Model 16-20 w/NEMA L6-20P
24 amps (5.8kW) Model 24-30 w/NEMA L6-30P
32 amps (7.7kW) Model 32-40 w/NEMA 14-50P
40 amps (9.6kW) Model 40-50 w/NEMA 14-50P

darelldd said:

With a reasonable home-installed 50A circuit, any Leaf with a CHADEMO could be charged faster if there existed this "small fast charger" solution.

No Nissan LEAF owner would pay the cost of a:

1) CHAdeMO plug and cable assembly

2) 10kW isolated charger

3) All the engineering to make this happen

4) Profit for vender

Hobbyists that are making 3D printed stuff without much concern for safety, user interface, functionality, insurance, UL, etc, have fun. We will build one someday, however. No time soon, though, and it will not be cheap. I'm completely swamped right now.

darelldd said:

The easiest way to get more power into your car is by increasing the voltage to 264 or less (240v +10% tolerance). You'll need a step up transformer that can handle 16 amps.

16 * 264 = 4.224kW

Beyond that, I'd get a Brusa that several of the guys have done. We built the first mounting plate for that right in my garage.

CmdrThor said:
Is this product going to be UL listed or certified by some other recognized third party?

We have not seriously considered UL listing for this for several reasons:

1) We intend for this to be the most economical unit in every power category

2) UL would absolutely raise the price of the product, and most folks don't really care about UL. Honestly, it rarely comes up, and mostly those inquiries are for a government give-away of some type

3) The product would be delayed by up to a year awaiting UL listing

4) Many of the components are already UL listed (even the box that it's mounted in, listed as UL Type 1,2,4, etc)

5) We will likely UL list this in the future, but merely as a stepping stone to CE certification for three phase unit sales in Europe.

91040 said:
It has been done see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one is not isolated and the plug does not lock.

eMotorWerks has been working on this but lately has been very quiet.
This product still exists and is being pursued, but most of the recent work has occurred on other fronts. To be clear, the DC fast charger prototype is not actively marketed to consumers. eMotorWerks has recorded a few sales, but it's typically insiders within the industry, research institutions and the like. They often request custom features, which includes but is not limited to a commercial CHAdeMO plug. As has been stated elsewhere, the R&D cost is significant, and if you include UL listing, a proper CHAdeMO plug and other safety features, the device will be out of the reach of most mainstream consumers. One day this will be perhaps possible, but we are not there yet.

Any updates on this product, Tony? Have a few questions.

Will it also support 120 volt?

Obviously the input cords/plugs on the various models will be different but will the relays, internal wiring, J1772, etc. all be the same, meaning upgrading it would be as simple as changing the input cordset and changing the pilot.

I assume you will be keeping it simple so no button/LCD option?

Any plans for providing support for some of the advanced features that are still early in development relative to the rest of the OpenEVSE project such as network connectivity and power metering?

I don't recall if this issue has been completely fixed in the latest OpenEVSE designs but does the automatic testing done when it first starts still cause upstream GFCIs to trip? I believe the issue was the ground presence check was causing current on ground which was above standard GFCI receptacles tripping point.

I really hope this product does well and has enough momentum to allow you to justify getting it NRTL listed as I think some competition in the NRTL listed EVSE market would be a great to help bring prices down more. I also think the process would shed some light on any deficiencies in standard OpenEVSE builds which would lead to improvements in that project.

It's great to see OpenEVSE being utilized in commercial products as this certainly has kept your R&D costs much lower for this product unlike some others who decided it would be better to reinvent the OpenEVSE instead of supporting it.

QueenBee said:
Any updates on this product, Tony? Have a few questions.

Will it also support 120 volt?

It should work at 120 or 240 volts, based on the model.

JAMP JR

Price - Model Amps - Circuit Rating - Wall Plug

240 volt - $499 - Model 40-50 (NEMA 14-50)
240 volt - $449 - Model 32-40 (NEMA 14-50)
240 volt - $399 - Model 24-30 (L6-30)
240 volt - $349 - Model 16-20 (L6-20)
120 volt - $299 - Model 12-15 (NEMA 5-15)

Obviously the input cords/plugs on the various models will be different but will the relays, internal wiring, J1772, etc. all be the same, meaning upgrading it would be as simple as changing the input cordset and changing the pilot.

These aren't intended for hobbyist use or for modifications. We do not support that. The warranty would be void for any modifications.

I assume you will be keeping it simple so no button/LCD option?

No options beyond the different models listed above.

Any plans for providing support for some of the advanced features that are still early in development relative to the rest of the OpenEVSE project such as network connectivity and power metering?

JAMP JR will never have any options. It is intended to be simple, low cost, no installation expense, just a "Plug-N-Chargetm" unit for consumers. Future products from our company may provide the features you are looking for.

I don't recall if this issue has been completely fixed in the latest OpenEVSE designs but does the automatic testing done when it first starts still cause upstream GFCIs to trip? I believe the issue was the ground presence check was causing current on ground which was above standard GFCI receptacles tripping point.

We haven't had these issues, but that doesn't mean that some combination may cause issues.

I really hope this product does well and has enough momentum to allow you to justify getting it NRTL listed as I think some competition in the NRTL listed EVSE market would be a great to help bring prices down more. I also think the process would shed some light on any deficiencies in standard OpenEVSE builds which would lead to improvements in that project.

I doubt that spending $20,000 to $50,000 for testing will bring the price of our product down!!! JAMP JR is not UL or otherwise listed. I really have no idea if other manufacturers would change prices higher or lower based on our product.

It's great to see OpenEVSE being utilized in commercial products as this certainly has kept your R&D costs much lower for this product unlike some others who decided it would be better to reinvent the OpenEVSE instead of supporting it.

That is precisely how we can keep the price reasonable.

QueenBee said:

The GFCI issue has been improved. The AC test current has been reduced and now works on most standard GFCI outlets. It is still reccomended that Charging Stations have their own non GFCI circhits as the trip point for EV charging is Min 15ma to Max 20ma. A standard GFCI outlet may work but it will be very sensitive and cause more nusence trips.

Another OpenEVSE commercial customer is almost finished with UL certification. Only a few minor changes in the firmware behavior were made. In the spirit of the Open Source license those improvements will find their way into the OpenEVSE source code. Most changes are already up in Github under the devolopment branch.

Back