Gauge wire running from circuit breaker

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletch1027

I am trying to ball park hardware costs for installing a CC HCS-40. Luckily my breaker box is in the garage.

What type of wire should I look into spec'ing out for the run from the breaker box to the HCS-40?

Based on the chart I found linked below (and the HCS-40 using up to 32 A), it looks like I would be in the 8 gauge range:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9B21pnGFpKj/learn/learningcenter/car/cable_gauge_chart.html

I was curious what others that have done this before have done...

Thanks,
Harry

The instructions will certainly give you their requirements, look up the manual for the unit online. The instructions for my Siemens Versicharge (30A, very similar power requirements to CC) called for a 40amp breaker and 8-gauge wire. I went with 6-gauge wire only because I'm anal like that :lol:

You will need to confirm the tie ins on the unit can handle 6ga wire. The specifications mention 10 and 8 but not 6. Doesn't mean it won't take 6, but you should find out before spending all that money on 6ga.

You also need to look at wire fill charts for the type of conduit you are planning to use. Wire fill goes down very quickly as gauges go down. Make sure you don't exceed the recommendations of the conduit manufacturer.

I installed the AV unit that Nissan pushes. It is a 30 amp unit and recommends a 40 amp line. I installed a sub panel and ran an 8 -2 line from a 40 amp breaker to an outlet for a plug-in charging station. I used a plug in unit as I thought I may want to use the 220V outlet in my garage for something else on occasion. I would think that unless you have a really long run, 8 gauge should be heavy enough.

Back