Help Me Decide Which Level 2 Home Charger To Purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I'm taking delivery of my 2015 Nissan Leaf SV tonight. I've got two electricians scheduled to quote EVSE installation tomorrow evening, but before they come I'd like to hear some feedback on the EVSE's I've narrowed it down to & also decide if I should do a "plug in" or "hardwired" installation.

I have a detached garage that has it's own circuit breaker box inside. I would like to get an EVSE rated for indoor & outdoor use because 1. our garage sometimes leaks with heavy rain, and 2. we may be moving soon and I'd like flexibility for a future install. I would also like to get a charger that takes full advantage of the 6.6kW acceptance rate.

From the reading I've done so far these are the models I've narrowed it down to:

- Clipper Creek HCS-40 (or HCS-40P the plug in model).
- GE Wattstation EVWSWBC-CP01 (or EVWSWBH-CP02 the plug in model).

Am I on the right track with these choices?

The main reason I'm considering the Wattstation is because I have a 10% off Lowes coupon (that also could be used at Home Depot) making these pretty affordable. If I did a Home Depot purchase the hard wired version it's $539.10 after 10% off, plus 10% cash back right now through shopdiscover.com (5% for home depot stacked with 5% for general internet purchases) putting me just over $520 after ohio sales tax and cash back.

The main reason I'm considering the Clipper Creek is because they seem like an good company who makes a solid product. It works out to almost $620 for the hard wired version after shipping though (no sales tax) so it's approx $100 more than the GE Wattstation.

The other thing I need to decide is to go plug in or hard wired. I may move within the next 2-3 years and if I do I'd like to take my EVSE with me. I imagine this would be much easier to do with a plug in model. According to what the electrician said over the phone it will be nominally more expensive for him to install the plug in model. They are also nominally more expensive for the EVSE itself. Is it worth it, or should I just get the hard wired model? How hard would it actually be to uninstall and take with me?

Thanks everyone in advance!!

-Ben

alreadyBenBrott said:
Hello,

I'm taking delivery of my 2015 Nissan Leaf SV tonight. I've got two electricians scheduled to quote EVSE installation tomorrow evening, but before they come I'd like to hear some feedback on the EVSE's I've narrowed it down to & also decide if I should do a "plug in" or "hardwired" installation.

I have a detached garage that has it's own circuit breaker box inside. I would like to get an EVSE rated for indoor & outdoor use because 1. our garage sometimes leaks with heavy rain, and 2. we may be moving soon and I'd like flexibility for a future install. I would also like to get a charger that takes full advantage of the 6.6kW acceptance rate.

From the reading I've done so far these are the models I've narrowed it down to:

- Clipper Creek HCS-40 (or HCS-40P the plug in model).
- GE Wattstation EVWSWBC-CP01 (or EVWSWBH-CP02 the plug in model).

Am I on the right track with these choices?

The main reason I'm considering the Wattstation is because I have a 10% off Lowes coupon (that also could be used at Home Depot) making these pretty affordable. If I did a Home Depot purchase the hard wired version it's $539.10 after 10% off, plus 10% cash back right now through shopdiscover.com (5% for home depot stacked with 5% for general internet purchases) putting me just over $520 after ohio sales tax and cash back.

The main reason I'm considering the Clipper Creek is because they seem like an good company who makes a solid product. It works out to almost $620 for the hard wired version after shipping though (no sales tax) so it's approx $100 more than the GE Wattstation.

The other thing I need to decide is to go plug in or hard wired. I may move within the next 2-3 years and if I do I'd like to take my EVSE with me. I imagine this would be much easier to do with a plug in model. According to what the electrician said over the phone it will be nominally more expensive for him to install the plug in model. They are also nominally more expensive for the EVSE itself. Is it worth it, or should I just get the hard wired model? How hard would it actually be to uninstall and take with me?

Thanks everyone in advance!!

-Ben

I went with the Clipper Creek HCS-40 (Hard wired): They are a US Company, great support, super easy install (two screws), long cord and it just works.

I don't consider hardwire vs. plug to be an issue for a residence move. Rewiring into a new junction box is trivial.

Where the plug becomes useful is that it can enable you to carry the unit on a long trip. Then, with the proper adapter cable you could use it to plug into outlets at an RV park and thus increase the available charging locations. I did this on my SF-LA-SF trip. Although I didn't actually use it, I was glad to have it because there were a couple of legs of the trip that hinged on a single EVSE and had they been out of service, the RV park(s) would have been a viable alternative.

I went with the HCS-40 (hardwired) model.

I'm getting it installed as soon as it arrives. I wish they'd send me a shipping confirmation already.

alreadyBenBrott said:
I went with the HCS-40 (hardwired) model.

I'm getting it installed as soon as it arrives. I wish they'd send me a shipping confirmation already.

CC is pretty good about shipping very quickly. If you ordered too late today, they probably left early for the Thanksgivong weekend and you will have to wait until Monday for a shipping confirmation. Assuming no issues with the order, don't be surprised if you get the package on Wednesday,or possibly Tuesday.

I ordered mine thinking it couldn't possibly arrive before I got home from a week's vacation, but it showed up only two days after I placed the order. I had an electrician's appointment a few days after I got back so I didn't want to wait until I returned to place the order. Fortunately my neighbor was able to retrieve the package for me.

I went with the GE due to the fact that HD had a 0% interest deal (always better to use someone else's money :D ) And I opted for the plug in. The cost to wire the outlet wasn't much more than wiring the 220, and this allowed me to pick up the EVSE and move it when we moved. (if you hard wire you will have to either a) be comfy with disconnecting it b) pay to have it disconnected or c) leave it with the house)

I use the GE with our Volt, Leaf and our Cmax Energi.

As a side note:

If you don't have a good network of chargers in your area, you might want to consider doing the EVSE Upgrade in addition to your plans of a home charger. I am in the Phoenix area and we have a LOT of RV parks around. Having the ability to plug in at an RV park if needed goes a long way to relieve range anxiety.

I went with an L1 ,L2 EVSE from Glenn on this forum. Great guy. Great unit. Has a timer, Adjustable charge rate for l1 and l2. Very sturdy unit.
Very portable.

The HCS-40 is installed and working properly. It's a nice, well made unit and Clipper Creek provided good communication.

I hope it continues to work well long term!

A shout out to Schneider Electric EVLink. I was considering the Clipper creek unit very strongly but sooo glad I went with this. I got it from Home Depot on sale for $499 plus tax and it is even cheaper there right now at $488. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-Electric-EVlink-30-Amp-Generation-2-5-Enhanced-Model-Indoor-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230WS/203670265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a 30 Amp unit so you can charge the Leaf at the full 6.6 kW. Working great so far after 3 weeks with no glitches. Can be hardwired or plugged in with a cheap ($25) dryer pigtail cord. I think the Charging lights indicator and the delay charge feature gives it an edge over Clipper creek. I can set delayed charging in 1 hour increments with a simple press of a button and have a visual confirmation of the delay that was et. Also I can see how many hours it took for the car to charge using the LEDs. The LEDs also tell me if the unit is functioning and powered on and whether there has been a ground fault. Also the cord holder with the holster receptacle is awesome and you can order a free customized skin for your unit. It is also smaller in size than the clipper creek and overall a very stylish sleek unit. I think it is a great value currently, specially if you can combine it with Discover card.

The only slight negative is that the cord is 18 foot instead of 25 foot but I have it in the middle of my front wall so I can access all four sides of any vehicle as needed.

I love my EVlink unit. You should seriously consider this option.

Back