240v to 110v transformer 4000w

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikealanni

Hi all,
I just leased my 2015 leaf. The trickle charger is way slow but I have my dryer outlet 240v so my question is if I buy a transformer from 240 to 110 with high amperage will the trickle charger charge fast? As I can find cheap transformer as low as $170.

Mike

The factory trickle EVSE will only draw 12 amps max @ 120 volt as far as I know. A transformer will not help and I wouldn't even mess with one.
Since you have a 240 volt dryer circuit in you garage, think about doing what I did- send your EVSE to evseupgrade.com and they will upgrade it to run @240 volts OR 120. Mine works fantastic and It will allow my car to charge @ about 20% per hour vs 5% on 240.
Ther are many threads here that discuss it and many people are using these units. Right now you can buy one outright for $649.00 and keep yours as a spare. That's what I ended up doing.
The price for upgrading your unit is $287.00.

Check it out at http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

Many people think that they should have as much current available as possible. The J1772 protocol has two parts. The EVSE signals the current available(up to 80A) then the car takes what it needs. The stock L1 charger tells the car that only 12A is available. It does not matter what it is plugged into. Even if it is on a 20A circuit it will only take 12A.

Like silentbutnotdeadly, I bought a second EVSE unit (2014 version) from EVSE Upgrade that could deliver 20 amps at 240 volts. I kept the standard unit in the car as backup if away from home. I also bought an adapter cord to plug into the available 30 amp 240 outlet.

By charging at 20 amps 240 volts, I can get nearly 4 times the charge rate into the battery as the 12 amp at 120 volts from the supplied unit. This is because the wattage is amps times volts,, so you are comparing 4800 watts (240 x 20A) with 1440 watts (120 x 12A). Since there is said to be about 300 watts overhead during the charging, it is really closer to 4500 watts vs 1140 watts. ( Ignoring details of power factor and non-sinusoidal load current. )

Other alternatives exist in similar price ranges. The Clipper Creek units get generally good reports, the company has been making EVSEs for a long time, and are reasonably priced. The LCS-25 should deliver the same 20 amps at 240 volts, and can run from the same 30 amp circuit.

Thanks for your answers... My main idea was rent a electric car to save money but looks at the end I will spend same amount of money for driving a car less convenience specially for long distance. I think I'm going to buy one off good 240v charger and buy another electric car for my wife and never go out of out city as I'm living in middle of no where :) jk

Back