remote electrical switch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natecg

I have an erratic work schedule and don't drive a lot of miles each week. I like to practice good changing habits and not charge my 2012 leaf every day - typically I'll charge up to 80% when I hit about 20% - unless I have a longer trip and need the miles the next day. In the winter, I'd like to be able to preheat the car, but ideally would like to have it plugged in during this time. A preheat climate control timer won't work given my work schedule and usually the leaf isn't plugged in. I trickle charge at home. I've been looking for a way to have the EVSE plugged in, but not charging the car over night so I can use the Leaf app to preheat the car in the morning. I've come across this device and would welcome thoughts on using this with the leaf: http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LR110-3-110-Volt-Collector/dp/B00004S9AI/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could plug in the EVSE at night and have this switched off. In the morning, from the house, I could remotely turn on the electricity to the EVSE and then preheat the car. Thanks for your feedback.

That unit will have a limited range...it might be enough, it might not. Another alternative is the X10 system, see: http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/x10-home-automation/x10-modules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You would want the "Heavy-Duty Appliance Module" for your EVSE. You didn't specify if your EVSE is 240 or 120 volt; they do have both versions.

As far as a transmitter goes, X10 has several options. Some have timers, some are able to connect to a computer, some are manual, and remote controls are available also. The range supposedly is nearly unlimited as long as the transmitter and receiver modules are on the same electrical service.

Hi there

I know it's an old post but why not have the trickle charger plugged in, but on a timer that's way off from the hours you are at home.
Then when the time comes you either have a timer for your climate control which may not work for you with your work schedule, or you use a smartphone, tablet or similar and turn on the climate control remotely.

And if you'd like to charge the LEAF, just push the timer off button on the car when you park it.
Any way

Have a great day.

Back