Adding some instruments to your EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Has anyone ever thought about adding a gauge like this to your EVSE? You can get these on ebay for around $10. It wouldn't be that hard for me to add something like this to the face of my Aerovironment EVSE by cutting a rectangular hole in the front. It would be kind of nice to see how many amps the car is drawing.

709366462_o.jpg

They work well and at the current China vender price of around ten dollars they are a great deal. So far I have no non abused ones fail. I smoked one by grounding the current coil but that was my fault.

They are so cheap I have just used the current coil with the Amp metering of ver 3.2.2. Even throwing away the meter the coil is half the price of the recommended coil.

I have something like this. My EVSE is installed outside, but I just hooked up another conduit run to a 4x4 PVC box from the last J-Box before the conduit goes through the wall.

Mine isn't just instantaneous amps / volts. It's also a power meter, so I can easily log monthly usage, without spending the $$$ to get an energy monitoring system (a-la TED). I think mine was maybe $15, plus the extra box/cover/conduit/hub.

This is the one I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171306062302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seem to be 2 versions of this floating around...one version has a current transformer, and the other has a direct current shunt. While the one with hard-wired connections claims 100A, there's no way I was going to try and pull 30A through what looks like fairly thin wires, so make sure you get the current transformer version.

--G

gmikol said:
I have something like this. My EVSE is installed outside, but I just hooked up another conduit run to a 4x4 PVC box from the last J-Box before the conduit goes through the wall.

Mine isn't just instantaneous amps / volts. It's also a power meter, so I can easily log monthly usage, without spending the $$$ to get an energy monitoring system (a-la TED). I think mine was maybe $15, plus the extra box/cover/conduit/hub.

This is the one I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171306062302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seem to be 2 versions of this floating around...one version has a current transformer, and the other has a direct current shunt. While the one with hard-wired connections claims 100A, there's no way I was going to try and pull 30A through what looks like fairly thin wires, so make sure you get the current transformer version.

--G

I just installed this KWH meter on my Schneider EVlink EVSE. The installation was very quick. Most of the work was the cutout in the plastic case. For that I used a drill press, hacksaw, utility knife and file.

Here are some pics:

EVlink1.jpg

EVlink2.jpg

like2bike said:
gmikol said:

This is the one I got:

--G

So far I have used 3 of these. I really like the cumulative KWH. They are less than $12 shipped from China. The update is a little slow but they work fine. You really want the coil version since the coil-less version is current limited.

I just installed this KWH meter on my Schneider EVlink EVSE. Here are some pics:

EVlink1.jpg

EVlink2.jpg

Yep...that's looks like the one I'm using too. I just realized I never posted pics of my setup. I'll try to excavate and put a few up over the weekend.

Since we don't have a separate utility meter for the EV, this is useful for being able to separate out EV usage from the rest of the household usage, without having to invest in something more expensive like a TED.

--G

I just ordered the one from ebay

AC 100A Digital LED power meter Voltage KWh time watt Voltmeter Ammeter With CT

Does it reset with a power cycle or does it remember for a bit or ?

GlennD said:
like2bike said:
gmikol said:

This is the one I got:

--G

This one remembers. It stashes the settings in its eeprom. Assuming the meter is wired from switched voltage it will keep track of charging time and KWH. Both are manually reset. If it is powered on continuously the timer is useless but the KWH still will work. The timer will indicate how long the EVSE has been powered.

So far I have used 3 of these. I really like the cumulative KWH. They are less than $12 shipped from China. The update is a little slow but they work fine. You really want the coil version since the coil-less version is current limited.

I just installed this KWH meter on my Schneider EVlink EVSE. Here are some pics:

EVlink1.jpg

EVlink2.jpg

Back