Has anyone received their free Juicebox under that program?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafer123

Just wondering if anyone has received their free juicebox from emotorwerks. We sent in our application several weeks ago and are still waiting for notification from them as to whether we are going to get it or not.
I am wondering if it is a scam to harvest personal information of ev leaf owners...Forgive me if that statement offends anyone but it would be nice if we were given more information on where applicants stand by the sponsors of the program. I even sent a PM to a rep from emotorwerks who was on this forum but my PM went unanswered.

I received the confirmation email and am in the process of completing the registration requirements. The program also requires you to sign up for Ohmconnect to monitor your usage, after which you are given a direct link to purchase a reduced price Juicebox. The first payment comes once you establish a Wi-Fi connection for the first time, and the final payment comes once you have participated for 3 months. I have had contact with Dorian from EMW's office ([email protected]), and he has been helpful.

Aggrocragg said:
I received the confirmation email and am in the process of completing the registration requirements. The program also requires you to sign up for Ohmconnect to monitor your usage, after which you are given a direct link to purchase a reduced price Juicebox. The first payment comes once you establish a Wi-Fi connection for the first time, and the final payment comes once you have participated for 3 months. I have had contact with Dorian from EMW's office ([email protected]), and he has been helpful.
Thank you for letting me know. I have already signed up with Ohmconnect but haven't heard anything yet.
Are you a SCE customer?

leafer123 said:
Thank you for letting me know. I have already signed up with Ohmconnect but haven't heard anything yet.
Are you a SCE customer?

Yes, I am an SCE customer and currently on the Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV). I would change to the Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-EV-1) when I get the Juicebox, which should be cheaper for electricity usage.

There is no reason to believe that eventually we will not get more information on the status of our applications. I know for a fact, the submetering pilot program is acknowledged on PG&E's website, naming EMW and OhmConnect by name, so this is completely legitimate. I suspect there is a HUGE backlog of applications and other behind the scenes activities - especially with the CPUC's involvement - potentially holding up a timely rollout of this program. I admit it would be nice to know more about what is or is not happening and why, but it has only been a few weeks since I submitted an application. I have actually visited EMW and met most of the employees. I can assure you, EMW is a real company with real people, all hard at work, so we'll just have to wait and see what transpires in the weeks ahead.

dinned, maybe you can convince them to work a little more on communication(s).

I would be shocked if OhmConnect, CPUC, PG&E, SCE, or SDG&E would actually specifically allow JuiceBoxes to be used in this program since it is not NRTL certified thus you can't legitimately install one as the National Electrical Code requires EVSEs to be NRTL certified.

Then, prepare to be SHOCKED (no pun intended)! :lol:

I am in no way affiliated with EMW, and thus have no way to be certain, however my understanding is that they are working on their next generation Juice Box and it will be safety "certified" as a pre-assembled only EVSE. I don't know when or by which agency, but I suspect some time fairly soon barring any unforeseen setbacks in the process. This was probably part of the game plan all along in conjunction with this new sub-metering CPUC program.

That's great! I think you and your Brother will be very pleased. I assume you're not in CA, so something must of piqued your interest in buying JuiceBox Premiums. Did you buy them fully assembled ready to PnP? And may I ask what were all the factors that went into your decision(s)? Obviously, there are a lot of widely differing opinions from the members here on the merits of the various EVSEs currently available, and how well they work. It's always interesting to read what other people have to say, so we all can try to learn from what other people think makes a good all around EVSE.

Aggrocragg said:
Yes, I am an SCE customer and currently on the Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV). I would change to the Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-EV-1) when I get the Juicebox, which should be cheaper for electricity usage.
Actually if you do all your charging in super off peak TOU-D-TEV is cheaper than TOU-EV-1 (9-10c/kWh vs 11c/kWh.) However, TOU-EV-1 lets you charge at that rate over a much longer time window (9PM-noon vs midnight-6AM.) And of course going on TOU-EV-1 for just your charging means you can change your home's plan if a different one would work out better for you.

The longer time window is pretty much worthless to me, and since I have solar switching to another plan for my house is also worthless, so I'm a little reticent to join this program, but I went ahead and signed up anyway - I figure the extra electricity cost will be less than the value of a free Juicebox. Actually it could end up costing me quite a bit for electricity, as I expect paying for charging separately will mean I can't use my stored up solar credits... Maybe I can get out some extension cords and sell electricity to my neighbors to make up for it. :lol:

I got a notice that I was "approved" for the program and signed up for Ohmconnect, but still no link to purchase the discounted Juicebox.

We both got them assembled. They are lower priced than most units on the market, and they have the data logging feature. I also got the wireless module - those features are not available, as far as I know. They are also portable, so you can use them as RV parks, and the like. With adapters, they can be used on dryer outlets.

Data logging definitely will be included in the sub-metering JB promotion, along with WiFi as well. These features are required to support the sub-metering functionality.

I seem to be missing a very key component to this thread. What "Program" are we talking about? and it is available to Washington state residents?

In our area, one of the power companies, Puget sound energy, does offer a $500 rebate on home chargers if you buy one from their approved list and let them monitor the use of it. I don't have them as my power company and juicebox is not on their approved charger list.

I've been looking at the different, home, EVSEs and I am leaning toward the juicebox premium, assembled, with all the goodies like the usage and wi-fi. I haven't pulled the trigger yet only because for my driving habits it is not a "have to have" but more of a "want to have" item and that is a lot of money. If I could get one with some kind of rebate or disscount or free with this program, I would do it today.

The "program" we are discussing here, with respect to getting a free JuiceBox as a sub-metering device, only applies to California and three "publicly owned" utilities; PG&E in Northern CA, SCE, and SDGE in Southern CA. However, I wouldn't let that stop you from ordering an eMW JuiceBox of your own in Washington State. A "Premium" JuiceBox would be a good choice with WiFi because it should have almost the same capability as a sub-metering device should your utility company ever jump on the bandwagon. Also, I believe eMW is working on a cell phone app, so with WiFi built-in, you'll hopefully soon be able to use that feature as well.

I received the "congratulations you qualify for a free juicebox" email but I noticed one of the requirements is your home be equipped with a smartmeter, which mine is not. They also mention the need to be on specific rate plans, which I am not. None of this was stated in the original application I filed. So, what now? Did anyone else get the email?

When did you apply? I believe a Smart Meter is a prerequisite. You seem to be ahead of me in the queue, as I did not yet receive a congratulatory "you qualified" type of email. A few weeks ago, however, I did receive an email asking me to "agree" to the billing requirements of the program (i.e. not currently enrolled in a direct payment plan).

Has anyone yet to receive a JB to actually start participating in this program?

Email sent on behalf of OhmConnect & Electric Motor Werks on Dec 30th.
As we close out 2014, we've had time to reflect on how many people are as excited about JuiceBoxes as we are!
While we certainly share your excitement, we ran into a roadblock based on the utility requirements for the submeters. As a result, we have had to undergo extensive requirement testing on our charging stations before we could start the bulk of our deliveries. This has unfortunately been the reason we've encountered a delay in determining whether or not you qualify for a free JuiceBox.
We anticipate having this resolved in approximately 2 months and will email you again when we have a firm approval from the utility and your shipping date set.

Back